1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ok to use Voltage doubler w/ 1Spot?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HolmeBass, Aug 13, 2012.

1. I found out how much I love my EP boost pedal at 18 V, and run it that way on my board, thanks to the voltage doubler cable for my Voodoo labs PP2+.

But I also use the EP off my board, stand-alone, and now that I know the beauty of 18 V I want to power it like that using a 1Spot. So....

How about using this, from Godlyke, basically a charge pump to up the voltage (I imagine at a sacrifice in current, but w/ 1700mA @ 9V I don't think current is a problem) which they say is only for their particular switchmode power dongle:
    http://www.godlyke.com/power-all/godlyke-power-all-accessories/iso-pump-voltage-converter

With my 1Spot? Note that Visual Sound does not offer a comparable product (http://www.visualsound.net/index.php/products/1spot).

Anyone have experience with using this combo successfully? Any electrical engineers think of a reason why 1Spot's switchmode power supply would work significantly differently than Godlykes such that this wouldn't work? Thanks,

2. Nothing?? Not one bit of useful info onTB for a real question?

3. Impatient, eh?
    Sorry we don't come running when you call, Master.

Not feeling inclined to answer with that attitude.

4. Five and a half hours, during which hundreds, if not thousands, of posts have been made in "which bass is the best for metal" and "can I mix my 410 and 115 cabinet" and "my drummer is a drunk weirdo who won't tip" threads and not a drop of useful, non-opinion based information. I am not your master, but I lose some faith in the efficacy of this "community". But thanks for at least posting, as perfectly worthless as your post was, it was better than nothing.

5. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    It works. I used to use a pigtronix philosophers tone at 18v with one.

For the record it was kind of a niche question, so most people wouldn't know the answer. More people have opinions as to which bass is best for metal.

Red Planet likes this.
  6. G.Bisson

G.Bisson

Feb 26, 2009
    Virginia
    The Godlyke powerall is virtually identical to VisualSound's 1Spot. I don't see why you couldn't use the isopump with either.
    Hadn't seen that isopump before, that would be a nifty little tool to have on hand. Would like to try that out with my Catalinbread pedals.

7. It was not worthless. It bumped your question. You Are welcome.

5 hours is nothing, man.
    Geez...

And most people who write about the best bass for metal would not know one end of a power supply from the other if you removed the plugs and labels. You sure you want them to respond?
    You asked a pretty particular question a lot of folks would not know the answer to.

You have the answer now.

I suggest a bit less coffee :lol:

8. Thank you Ron and G.Bisson for the info, much appreciated. I realize it was niche question, very specific, but also realized that chance that the answer was not here in the membership of TB was pretty small.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    MEEEEEOOOOWWWW!

10. My thinking exactly - it *should* work, but I was worried that maybe something in the 1Spot's circuit wouldn't like running into a transformer. I know very little about electronics, so a hidden "gotcha" seems like a real possibility to me.

Running at 18 V was eye-opening to say the least, I would go for it on the Catlinbread. So much more clarity and girth with the EP booster. The charge pump is only $30 and it's pretty versatile as it also does 12 and 24 V, and you can daisy chain off of it to get a couple 12/18/24V pedals, although of course the total current available drops with each higher voltage.

Really glad to hear Ron Now chime in with the combat-tested experience that I won't start a small fire with my 1Spot and the charge pump!

Re JimmyM's comment: :D

11. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I use, but not at wide open gains, my ToneHammer Pedal, which is an 18v only pedal, with my OneSpot + Converter without issue so far. Granted, I also have yet to load up the power supply with a bunch of pedals at a gig/rehearsal, but when i plugged six or seven in, all the lights came on and nothing sounded funny.

12. Thanks, good to know coyoteboy. My use case is pretty small- just running one pedal at 18V instead of 9. Of course you know how those kinds of plans can change...

13. :lol: