1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OK. Tomorrow I get my first Tattoo

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by srxplayer, Nov 9, 2006.

1. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I have an appointment with Pat Fish in Santa Barbara to get a Celtic Defenders Cross done on my upper right arm. I have never had any ink done before so anyone got any info on what I should expect. I'm looking for healing time, infections, etc.

Any info would be helpful.

2. cool, good luck

3. That'll be sick. Post a picture afterwards!

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Don't do it. Stay clean, unless you're joining the Marines or sumpthin'.

5. JNBlack

JNBlack

Dec 5, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Your experience will depend somewhat on your tolerance for pain. Some people get faint or nauseous. Or, if you're like me, you kinda like the pain...:bag: (probably part of the reason I keep going back for more)

As far as healing time. I can't remember exactly how long it took. You'll know when the scabs start coming off that it's almost healed. I've used a few different things to clean and moisturize the skin. I believe the last time I used regular Curel (no fragrance) lotion, and some kind of foaming antibacterial soap like Dial, or something. It was alot easier to clean it with the foamy stuff, not as much rubbing with wash cloths.

Clean it often, and put lotion on it right after cleaning it, or any other time it feels dry. That should prevent any infection caused by you.

Keep in mind, I am by no means a professional. This is just my opinion based on my experiences.

6. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    That's cool. I haven't actually seen her work in person, but I've looked at tonnes of photos and she's really good, and as far as I can tell, decently well known.

Shoulders are usually not too bad, so pain shouldn't be too much of an issue, just try and relax and it'll be done before you know it!

Good luck, and let us see some pics when you're done!

7. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    I have always picked out what I want and keep a picture of it for a year. If I still like the picture in a year I'll get the tat. I have never liked the picture by the time the year is up.

Good luck though

8. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I have loads of tattoos, I'm about 1/3 covered. healing time varies from as little as one week (simple line work, light shading) to as much as three weeks for heavier lines and solid colors. There are actually many conflicting theories about the best way to heal a tattoo- some people say keep it moist, some say keep it dry. Some say use Neosporin, others say unscented hand lotion, others say don't use anything. All of those methods can work well, so don't get too hung up on any one of them- the only things to focus on are: keep it clean, and DON'T pick at the scab. You can permanently ruin a tattoo by picking at the scab. Also, try to avoid sweating heavily in the first couple of days after getting the tattoo; in that first day or so you can actually sweat out the ink. Throughout the healing process, wear clean shirts in natural fibers like cotton, as that helps the "wound" to breathe, which speeds healing.

Pat Fish has been around a long time, I met her back in 1991 or thereabouts. I don't know if it matters to you, but she has a reputation of being, how shall we say euphemistically, not welcoming to all people. But her work is solid and well-known.

9. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Thanks for the info. I will post some pics when it's done. I kinda have a bit of a farmer tan going so it will be a little embarrasing but what the hell. I'll post the pics anyway.

I go back in couple of months to get the other arm (left) done in a celtic defender band. Should be pretty cool.

10. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I kinda know what you mean. I have seemed to get along with her ok over the phone but I detect a really weird air about her. She has been pleasent and professional about this whole thing but there is something there that I can't put my finger on.

She was recommended to me by a friend who goes to my church. He has some of her work and I really like it. The fact that she specializes in Celtic art made me decide to go with her. It's a 165 mile drive for me to get there and I have been postponed twice because she got injured and broke some ribs and couldn't work. She thanked me for being patient with her and so it seems that maybe she's ok with me.

I'll let you know how it goes.

11. D Von

D Von

Nov 13, 2005
    Rhode Island
    Search tattoos in off topic, you will find lots of tips to help you keep your fresh ink lookin like the million bucks you probably spent on it.

12. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    this is how I do it:

in the UK there is a nappy (diaper) rash cream called Bepanthen, which is widely used for tattoo healing... until then we used to use pile cream, which does a similar job

so if you can get Bepanthen, or any other diaper rash cream, that might worth your while... they're better than Vaseline because they let your skin breathe while keeping it moist

always keep your tattoo moist while it's healing, this Bepanthen stuff is great (I sound like an advert!) because it stops your tattoo scabbing up, meaning more of the ink stays where it should... I typically use it for about 5-6 days until the top layer of ink has flaked/rubbed off, then when you're at the stage where you've got white flakey edges to the ink, any normal unscented moisturiser should be fine until they've gone (maybe another week/10 days)... then your tattoo still won't be fully healed (it'll still be kinda shiny) but you won't need to put anything on..

the critical thing is to stop it scabbing in the 1st week

you shouldn't get infections provided you shower regularly (use unscented soap on your tattoo) and give your tattoo plenty of fresh air when sitting around the house

good luck, and let's see a picture!

13. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Oh wow, celtic cross. That sure is original.

14. VanillaO

VanillaO Poop?

Oct 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    If you get a tat on your upper right arm and it hurts you're a weiner. And I'm not just saying that. I got mine there, and I don't have a high tolerance for pain, nor is it low. There just happens to be a good amount of flesh there. I guess it depends what part of the upper right arm.. but ya.

15. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I'm not worried about the pain. I have a pretty high tolerance. It's just the after care of the healing process. I just wanted to hear from from some experienced people who have been through it a few times. I wanted to get their ideas as well as what Pat Fish tells me.

16. I got my first one a few months ago on the inside of my forearm. It hurt, but nothing stupid and wasn't as bad as I was expecting. The worst part was when she was tattooing real close to my elbow. Other than that it wasn't too bad.

The crap part is the healing process. It gets itchy and it's still sore. It took me about 2.5 wks for it to heal with no scabs. Like others have said - DON'T PICK THE SCABS! It'll ruin the tattoo and you'll just have to get it fixed - if it can be fixed. I just washed it a few times a day, and put on unscented cream - no vaseline - that will clog it up.

It will make you tougher and of course much cooler. But now you'll have to get in more fights cause of your new found toughness. And maybe a motorcycle. But then you get a t-shirt that says "If you can read this then the bitch fell off".

Funny that my wife's first tat was a Celtic cross on her upper arm.

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

In regards to the pain associated with tattoos I can not say there is any ;) Well maybe just a littel :p but it really various on the specific location on the body though. Healing time in my expirence has usually been 2-3 weeks before the tattoo starts to look the way it should, 3-4 days is when the peeling starts , nothing to be worried about. All the best with it ! :)

18. D Von

D Von

Nov 13, 2005
    Rhode Island
    lmfao, so mean but so damn true. all he needs now is a tribal arm band. just kidding, good luck with your first tat.

19. D Von

D Von

Nov 13, 2005
    Rhode Island
    Let's just say that it doesn't tickle lol.

20. Matt Fat Cat

Matt Fat Cat

Jul 5, 2006

Don't do it. Wait until your at least 30 and/or have a good bit of money and experience.