Ok, tubes are cool after all.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CYoung, Oct 14, 2002.

1. CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I have to admit that until now, I never could really see the benefit of tubes in a bass amp until now. I recently put together a new bass rig which consists of one Hartke 3500 head and a 2200 cab. This amp has both tube and solid state pre-amps.

I sat down the other day and was finally able to play with the different pre-amps and hear the difference.

I have an old P-bass copy that nornally sounds like sh!t on any amp; I picked it up cheap and use it as a little practice bass. On solid state, it sounded brittle and tinny (which is normal for this bass). I switched to the tube amp and the sound became warmer and more "thumpy." Not a bad P-bass sound for a cheap POS bass. I may have to get an honest to goodness P-bass for those Motown gigs.

When I play my Cirrus bass, the solid state seems to work best with the active pickups. The sound is crustal clear and the bass is tight.

Next, must try the Carvin LB20 fretless and see which combination sounds best....
  2. BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    Try out any of the all tube bass rigs out there. I think you will be even more impressed with the tone

Trace Elliot V4, V6 or the V8
    Ampeg's all tube amps rock
    Mesa Boogie has one I need to test drive as well
  3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Don't forget the Aggie all tube stuff
  4. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I own a Trace Elliot V4 head which is extremely heavy, a horrible green colour and the most awesome amp I've tried. EDIT to remove the word head to avoid gutter comments on a PG13 board

At the levels I play at I can get touch sensistive power amp distortion (saturation) and at more sensible volumes the cleaner sound has that presence that only valves can give.

BTW my practice amp is a Pignose G40V which is an all valve guitar amp based on the Bassman circuit so what the heck.