OK what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by GreyBeard, Jun 18, 2003.

1. I've had better luck buying and selling bass gear (mostly guitars) on talkbass than from anyother site. But, I've been getting hammered on the shipping. Last week I shipped a 5502 to OR from WV and the shipping (ups from the ups store) was almost $70.00:eek: How do you guys keep your shipping costs down?
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The most I've paid for shipping was about $27, from Atlanta to 'Frisco ground. I go directly to the UPS hub and ship from there.
  3. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Greybeard, did you ship Ground? $70 seems exceptionally high, but recently due to the increase in fuel costs I know their prices have gone up. I haven't paid more than $35 for any instrument I've shipped including insurance on one for $1400.
  4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I'm guessing one of two things here. He may have went to a wailboxes ect. type of store, and had them pack the instrument (They KILL you on price at these shops), or two.....went with a higher rate shipping than ground?
  5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    As others have already posted...

Pack and box the bass your self.

Go directly to a UPS shipping facility, not one of those strip-mall UPS stores.

Also, after you have the instrument boxed-up, you can weigh and measure it, and pre-determine your shipping costs at ups.com
  6. It was "The UPS Store"
    The Bill states

66.43 UPS Ground Residential
    $25.00 Packaging Material
    96.92 Total

I have no problem with the packaging material. It's the shipping, and yes it was Ground.
  7. mpapi

Sep 9, 2001
    Hamilton, NJ
    The UPS Store is actually the new name of Mailboxes Etc. The do charge a lot more for shipping than going to a main UPS hub.
  8. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I boxed and shipped an Eden 410 XLT (that's 95 lbs) from Maryland to Washington St. for $65 via Fedex. I got a quote from a Mail Boxes ETC. for $385. They said they had to get a private shipping company because nobody would handle such a large package. Yeah right. She was probably going to ship it fedex and pocket the rest.:mad: She went out of business. Gee, to bad
  9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    WOW, Taht's alot of cash!!!!! Try to go to UPS.com & use their rates caculator & see what their price is.

I've always shipped thru music stores I've worked for.