Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OK, what cabs should I get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TimBosby, May 30, 2005.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Hi. I just won an Eden WT800 off Ebay for $755. Not too bad for a $1400 amp.

Now the question is...what to do for cabs? I love the versatility and sounds I get from 2 112s. So I would like to do that again if possible. I currently have 2 Aguilar GS112 8-ohm cabs. I love them but I understand that for maximum efficiency out of the WT800, I ought to get 2 4-ohm cabs. I like 112s but not too many companies make 4-ohm 112 cabs. Schroeder does, as does Avatar. I understand Schroeders kick ass but I don't know if I can afford them. I have heard good things about Avatar. It looks like I can get a 4 ohm Avatar 112 for under $300. Two of them for under $600 of course...not bad.. how much would 2 schroeder 112s be? How does Avatar stack up, no pun intended, against other companies like Aguilar, Ampeg, Eden, etc?

Also, what would the WT800 do running into one 112 4 ohm cab. What about one 112 8 ohm cab?

My head's spinning.

Any help appreciated! Thanks!!!!

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    http://www.schroedercabinets.com/

Email the man and talk to him. He's very friendly and very knowledgeable. If I were you, I'd start with a 1210 or 1212 and go from there...you may find 1 is enough, if not, you could get a second...Otherwise, you could do similar to my 'big' (small) rig...I run a Avatar SB112 and the Schroeder 1212.

3. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    A mini 12+ is $550....damn....and I want two.

a 212 or a 210 is $650.... that is kind of steep for me too..i don't suppose I can find these puppies used

4. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Good luck on the used Schroeders.

They're not cheap, but they're well built(by hand), loud and have good tone. If you're looking at 2x112, there's no reason to think that a 2x12 wouldn't fit the bill...and would save you some money. The 1212 I have is rated at 1000 watts...

I wasn't kidding about the 1212 maybe being enough for you...even using half of that new Eden. Talk to Jorg. He'll give you the lowdown without any crap. He's upright. He's a gear nerd like the rest of us, so he may even be able to give you some info on that new amp of yours...

5. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Patience grasshopper!

Get the amp and see how you like it with your current cabs. I love the sound of my GS112.

IF (and I say IF) you feel you aren't getting enough power THEN look for some new cabs.

And by the way, prices are listed on the Schroeder website.

;)

Joe.

6. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I never have any patience...thanks for the reminder though.

How will the WT-800 work with one GS112? I sometimes use one 112 for smaller coffeehouse type gigs. Let's see...wouldn't that be 800 watts into a 300 watt 8-ohm cab? Yikes. That does not sound good.

7. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Nope...isn't it a stereo set up? so 400w into 4 ohms, or 260 or so into 8 0hms for each side, unless it's bridged.

8. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    In which case, were I to get a Schroeder 212 8-ohm cabinet, wouldn't I only be putting 240 watts into it? I think bridged it does 800 watts into 8 ohms. But someone please explain...
    what exactly is bridging and how does one go about doing it?

If I got a Schroeder 212 (or 210) 4 ohm cab, I'd still be only putting 400 watts into it...correct?

Hence the need for two cabs...I think.....

9. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    The wattage is not a problem at all.

If I were you I would definitely run your WT800 bridged whenever I could. More power = more headroom. Just use alittle common sense and don;t turn up to 10!

If you find yourself turning up to the point that the speaker starts to sound like garbage then I would add another cab, as long as your WT800 can go down to 4 ohms (which it may not).

:D

Joe.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I get my sound from my WT-800 bridged into an 8-ohm D-410XLT for the full 800 watts. For me this sound rules. Plenty of bottom, crisp highs ... really cuts through with guts. Outside, I add a D-210XLT and run bi-amped. While I'm getting only about 500 watts with this setup, the extra speakers make up the difference.

11. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    O.k.

You have a stereo amp. By bridging you are taking the positive side of both channels to power a single cab which doubles your available power (up to the minimum load). But only do this if your amp is capable of bridging (the WT800 is)!

If your amp only goes down to 4 ohms per side you will only be able to bridge into 8 ohms. If it went down to 2 ohms per side you could bridge into 4 ohms.

But you do get significantly more power.

Yes, if you got two 4 ohm cabs you could draw the most power out of your amp in stereo. But...if you got a single 8 ohm cab you could get full power by bridging!

Joe.

12. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    He makes the cabs normally in 4ohms. He's started to make some 8ohm cabs as well, but not the 1012. So you'd get the full 400watts for that side.

You should make sure that amp is bridgable first...(re:your other thread)...in simple terms, you amp uses both sides to produce full (or close to full) wattage into one signal.

edited because Munji has a nice explanation...and has experience with this amp.

13. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    OK guys here are the specs on the amp from Eden's website (not the specs on the brand new ones that can bridge 800 into 4 ohms....I've already determined this is one of the older ones)

The WT-800 World Tour is the number one choice of our touring endorsees. With a tube hybrid stereo amplifier which we conservatively rate at 400 watts per side into 4Ω (800W bridged into 8Ω) with a minimum of 3dB of headroom, the WT800 is the perfect choice for the touring professional. Standard features include: switchable automatic compression, five-way semi-parametric tone control and electronic crossover, pre and post effect loops, stereo aux inputs, DI out with ground lift, headphone out, tuner out, and a thermostatically controlled fan.

WT800 Specs Power 2 X 400W RMS @ 4Ω
    Power Mono Bridge 800W RMS @ 8Ω
    Distortion <.1%
    Frequency Response 10Hz - 15KHz ±2dB
    Headroom 3db
    Dimensions 17"w x 3.5"h x 12"d
    Weight 26 LBS

So someone please tell me again what I have to do to "bridge"? Is there a special way to connect things? Please I am clueless.

So I guess I am wondering if I would be better off getting 800 watts "bridged" through a new 8-ohm cab like a 210, 212, or 410 or...

...would I be better off with my fav. setup...two 112s...only make 'em 4 ohm 112s and run it in stereo....I am thinking Avatar...

the only problem then is when I use only ONE 4 ohm 112 (coffeehouse gigs)...what happens then? My guess is that it uses only one side of the amp and runs 400 watts through that 4 ohm 112?

This crap is confusing, man..........like I said I am clueless but learning more every minute

14. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Dude, bridging is easy. Don't sweat it.

Click HERE for the link to their manual page (right side, 2/3 of the way down the list), download it and then check it out.

You will be fine, it's O.K.!

Joe.

15. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Got it, man. Still don't know if I want to bridge though. I like having a nice portable rig. Avatar makes a 112 that is 500 watts RMS and 4 ohms. Two of these should work well, methinks. What do you all think of Avatar?

They're under $300 apiece. Am I going to get what I pay for?

16. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Wait a sec.... since the WT800 runs 400 watts at 4ohms per side, is there anything stopping me from having more than 2 cabs? Could I add a third, 4-ohm cab?

For example, could I run my current 2 GS112s (8 ohms apiece reducing it to 4 ohms) on one side an another 4 ohm cab (don't know what yet) on the other side?

The only stopping me then would be the money I need to buy a third cab....... or a third and fourth cab....

Theoretically I could run 4 GS112s here and get 400 watts at 4 ohms out of both sides...right?
    Like this gentelman here who reviewed the GS112 on harmony central...

Currently use 2 - 112's with an Eden WT 800 (waiting on the 1205): will ultimately have 4 of them, 2 per side @ 4ohms in stereo. I also use a Lexicon MPX 1, EBS Stereo chorus, Octaver, and Bass IQ pedals, a Drawmer stereo compressor, and an Aphex Aural Exciter (new stereo rackmount). I play 6 string fretted and fretless basses, as well as a Taylor AB1. I usually run stereo, except on louder gigs I bi-amp in mono.

17. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Personally I have never used Avatar cabs but they have an excellent reputation. If you have a hankerin' for an Avatar cab or two I would go for it.

You can have as many cabs as you want as long as they don't go under your allowable minimum impedance. So...An Avatar and an Aguilar per side would be pretty danged cool (providing all cabs are 8 ohm).

Or, if you want, run both your Aguilars off of one side and a 4 ohm Schroeder off of the other.

Of course once you do that, you realize that you will want to get a more powerful amp, right?

;) GAS never ends.

Joe.

18. mervg

mervg

Apr 10, 2005
    London
    Don't mess about, get the 1212 schroeder and be done with it, portable so powerful and clean. Makes my dingwall sing and it beats the mix and match cab wars I have played over the years.

19. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    What kind of music do you play with your 1212? Did you compare it to the 1012? If so, what were the differences?

Joe.

20. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I use a Bergantino HT112 with my Eden WT-550. Sounds great. Try your current cabs first.