Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OK, what do people think of the Bass POD Pro?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brian Gordon, Nov 29, 2000.

1. Now that it's been out in the stores for a bit, what do you think of Line6's Bass POD Pro?

I played with it a while at GC last week but I don't think I quite got the hang of setting it up right. I read the manual online before heading there, but I just think I wasn't in the right environment to really check it out. It's kind of hard to listen for subtle tone changes at a Guitar Center with all the noise!

Has anyone tried it out in a decent studio where you can really listen to the different amp and speaker modeling it has? The effects are a nice bonus but it's the direct recording application I'm interested in. Anyone tried recording with its digital output?

I'm getting by with my SansAmp Bass DI, but I'm constantly causing distortion at its input because the preamp signal I want to send into it is too hot. With the POD Pro I could use the pre-loop to send a signal to my Rocktron preamp and back in, but I'm afraid it won't work if it's a line level send signal - I'd be overdriving the input to the preamp then.
    Could I just plug into my preamp and send a signal to the POD through the return jack alone, without plugging into the front panel jack? That sounds like it would work.

Well, anyhow, what do you think of it?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Is there some reason you just don't turn down the master level on your preamp?

3. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I just plunked down a $300 deposit on a Pod Pro so it better be damn good. Andy at the Music Mall spent quite a bit of time with me and showed me how to use it and all the sounds you can get. I was very impressed. I cant practice with it til i pay another $300 so cant give you an experienced review, but my general impression is extremely favorable.

4. Well of course I've tried that! But the thing distorts even when I plug in my bass directly into it without the preamp. Drive set all the way off and level set at about 1/3, I still overdrive it. I shouldn't need to back off the volume pot on my bass too! That's the only problem with that SansAmp. It needs a pad switch to be able to accept a hot signal.

That's why I'm looking into alternatives, like the POD Pro. I like the SansAmp but it can't handle the sheer power eminating from me and my instrument, and I'm not sure anything can!