Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ok what would YOU do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bronco, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Which Choice would YOU make?

You know those posts where people ask "which bass?" so they can feel better about a choice they've already made in their heart, right? Well... for me its different. Screw everyone's opinion... I want a SOUND, with a few features that I know I want on a bass. As a new daddy, its hard to make it out to the local shop, so if you could give me some pointers, then I'll have my favorite sales guy line these models up at the shop for me when I do finally make that trip up there.

Playing Style:
    Fingerstyle, two fingers. No Slap. Pick only if the sound requires it. Hands are Medium Size, but that's no indicator of... well, never mind. :smug:

Bassists I worship include Me'Shell Ndegeocello. Nothing Pattitucci or Jacoish here, just bassists that hold the bottom line with ungodly amounts of sexy and intelligent minimalism. I *thought* I read somewhere that she plays a Bongo. Can't afford that, so.....

Bass Features I'm after:
    4 String
    Fretted
    A Manly, Solid Bridge (no vibrations)
    Scale Length Not Important
    Looks Not really Important, but just not black on black on black on black... and not the Bootsy bass either. :)

Sound I'm after:
    Full. Nice Mids, Not honky, not too scooped either. Not Muddy, not Clingy Clinky Clanky either.
    The Rock stuff such as Quicksand, Cave-In... certainly a P bass sound primarily.
    The Funky Stuff, sort of a growly fingerstyle version of some of the slower Soul Coughing tunes, but fretted (if you can imagine that).

I am not sure I want a *pure* P bass, as i think I'll need just a *bit* more flexibility.

So my choices according to my budget and research are as follows:

First off, the Fenders:
    Fender® Deluxe P Bass Special
    This one here has my attention because it is the one everyone copies. I mean, if people want a Fender sound, get a god*amn Fender. Its a No Brainer. But, unless I'm convinced that other "fancier featured" basses just won't have more bang for the buck, I'm fine with this model.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bass/Electric?sku=515201

The Ibanez's listed here are interesting because of their reported versatility, but I have no idea how close they'll get to my desired sound.

Ibanez BTB. Every review points out how versatile this one is. The monorail bridge is interesting.
    Ibanez Sr500. Lotsa bang for the buck so I hear. Does this have narrow string spacing like the SRX series? Will this affect a fingerstyle funky playing style?
    Ibanez RD 500. Seems interesting, but I'm having trouble finding reviews on this one's tone. Seems funky enough but that's just looks, man. Seems like a clone of the Yamaha BB 614, eh?

Naturally, if the Yamaha BB's (414 and 614) are anything like their midrange electric guitars, I'm certain they'll be great instruments... but again, sound is king in my choice. Would these have the thickness I want in a bass' sound?

Also, used G&L's have my attention. Would the 2500's have the fullness I'm looking for? Like the Yamaha's, if the Basses are anything like their guitars, these would be dynamite.

Old Equipment Long Gone:
    Fretless MIM Fender Jazz Standard. I'm giving up fretless. I just don't have the time to develop the technique to where I'd be comfortable.
    Super Generic POS $99 bright red P-bass Jobbie from my youth. Aside from the sharp frets, twisted neck, noisy pickups, rattly bridge, terrible intonation, etc... well it *was* my first, and we all had one.

Oh oh oh, one more thing. I build my own tube amps as a hobby. My guitar amp, for example, is really sweet. I'll likely play through one of my own tube amps until I have enough room for a full Eden rig. Here's some eye candy.

http://mikehorvath.web4pros.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4&page=2

The reason I brought this up is that I don't quite know how active electronics would affect my input stages on my old school homebuilt amps, so I'm thinking I *may* wanna stay passive. Those of you with better knowledge, please enlighten me.

Any input from you experts out there would be just swell.

If my model choices here are omitting an obvious choice, feel free to add it! Also, if you all say, "Nice list. Pick one you'll like you won't go wrong!" I'll also be quite happy. Would love your input folks.

Thanks for your time!

2. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I would probably go with the P bass or the G&L. I had an Ibanez SR506, and while it was pretty versitile the sound it put out was mostly lacking in the mids. Never tried any of the other Ibanez basses you listed.

BTW Quicksand was a great band!

3. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    You could try the Big Block P Bass? I have yet to try one, but from what I hear it sounds kind of like a P, but different. It's also completely black, which was one of the things you were after.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The Deluxe is nice, but the bass everyone's trying to copy (including Fender) is the standard passive P.

5. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Spector, Spector, Spector. If you can find a Euro 4 with the maple body, get it. EMG P/J pups with a wide variety of sound with definite clarity.

6. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Sounds like you're in need for a Musicman Stingray.

It's the exact thing that came to my mind while reading :p

-Mark

7. Meshell playing a bongo? I've never heard that, I read in a couple interviews with her that she plays her 60's jazz (with several year old flats) on her albums almost exclusively. When I saw her live she played a celinder,though she only played on 3 or 4 songs.

8. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    i'd pick the g&l but i am biased. i love the damn things. versatility, craftsmanshipp and vicious tone all in one. well, everything i want anyway.

9. Yes they were. Rival Schools is a close second. I met the lead singer of Quicksand when he was on a Rival Schools/Taking Back Sundays tour here in Cincinnati. Great, great dude. Solid Sound!

Thanks for your post.

10. :) Unfortunately, only the "funk" sounds are featured on the G&L Website. I'd love to hear something with thicker booty on it.

11. You know, now you got me thinking. She was featured in Standing in the Shadows of motown, and I believe there's a scene with her playing bass in a studio somewhere. Why am I thinking its a Bongo? Meh, me old brain is rotting!

12. EDIT:

I'm looking to spend about half of the cost of a new stingray. How about this. It looks kinda sexy. May need some fretwork and a setup, but if I buy this, and put in a nice pickup... whaddya think?

http://www.music123.com/OLP-Tony-Levin-Signature-i158393.music

13. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Im a sucker for the Ibanez SRX700, hard to get something better for the money

14. EMG's on guitars are the only EMG sounds I'm familiar with. They're known for fantastic distortion sounds, but the cleans are viewed by many as "TOO" clean. I'll keep these in mind, I'm certain our local shop will have one around.

15. Ha! True how true. You know, I *could* find a Fender standard and a little upgrade here and there might do it.

I took a discontinued model Ibanez with some quality wood, swapped out the pickups and that guitar is basically the SHIZZNIT. Total cost of that guitar would never be guessed by its sound. Simply fantastic.

Will doing this to a "budget" bass give me the SOUND and save me enough bux to be worth it?

16. Aha! Yes, some folks don't like the look. But I am always a sucker for block inlays. Takes me back to my Les Paul G.A.S.

I'd be willing to try this... the specs say its got a new kinda pickup in it. Wonder if they're trying to pull off a P-bass/Music Man thinghy?

17. Okay, here's the link to it.

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=SRX700

Now, it says that its designed for LOUD stuff. That's fine, if its got enough tone shaping to make it get some soft booty when I want it. What's your experience, I'm curious?

18. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    You could even get a Sterling, or a S.U.B. Apparently those are cheaper.

As far as the OLP goes, i've found they have killer feel to them. They have this finish on the neck that I hate. But, if you're going to drop in new pickups, I suggest Nordstrand. Definately top of the line.

-Mark

19. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I think you're on the right track with the Deluxe P-bass Special, but if you can spend a couple hundred more the Reggie Hamilton Standard Jazz would probably be worth it. It's also P/J, but Jazz body (duh), and it can operate in passive mode. It has the U.S. P-bass pickup too.

Another option would be G&L Tribute L-2000. Amazing bang for the buck there.

20. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    :bassist: +1