Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OK... where's the magic???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jon R, Apr 2, 2002.

1. I know that LOTS of people love their Warwick Thumbs so I had to try one...

Brought my kid with me and we tried out several basses (all 5 string)... here's what we found:

Warwick Thumb (bolt)... VERY heavy, VERY VERY neck heavy, plain looking wood, OK playability... not very fast, good sound.

Pedulla... nice looking, nice sounding, but had a strange neck profile (thin and wide) that kept me from falling in love.

Music Man... butt ugly (kind of a solid paint pearl pink/purple), sounded great and played great.

Zon... absolutely beautiful wood, great tone, light weight and balanced, played the best of them all.

OK... you can all trash me in a minute... these are all just MY (and my sons) opinions... but my Carvin sounds and looks better than all of them except for the Zon! I would also have to say that the Music Man had a certain punch that I can't get out of my Carvin. So why do soooo many players use Warwick... I just couldn't find the magic!

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Try an early 90s neck-thru - and you'll see.

I agree that newer Warwicks are not that excellent, and the Thumb design is not for everyone.

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I'd probably agree with most of those observations in the original post...
    curious though: where did you play them? What thru? Which Zon and Pedulla models?

I think the Warwicks tend to cut thru pretty well in a band setting, some don't like them 'solo'.
    It's not my favorite model out there, but I don't think they're horrible. Depending on set-up and strings, some are better than others. Many use them for their 'slap' tone.

How do you like the Piezo tone on your Carvin fretless? Have you reviewed it on TB? I'd like to hear what you think about it.
    thanks

4. I wasn't planning on a review so I wasn't paying that close of attention... it was mostly, Hey... cool a Pedula... Oh Wow, a Zon... and they're gonna let me and my kid play them? Cooool. So I'm not sure of the models... northern Minnesota isn't known for high end basses, but one of them might have been a Thunderbass???

Also the Warwick wasn't horrible... it actually played OK... but I couldn't imagine having that over my shoulder for any extended period of time.

I'll do a review of the Carvin fretless in a couple of days. :D

5. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    BTW, your Warwick Infinity is a pure beauty.

All the best,

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Where did you find a Zon in Minnesota? I have been wanting to try one of them for a long time.

7. i love warwicks, but not the thumbs, especially the bolt ons.

8. Ryan... it was at a Guitar Center... by the Galleria in Mpls.

9. My thumb bolt-on is great, it's not that the neck is so heavy, but it neckdive's because of the straplock setup, i've heard many say that it can be fixed with wider or leather (or both) strap, but i've just lived with it. It sounds absolutely amazing, and it has great looks on top of that! great playability too.

10. One thing that struck me as weird, is the look of musicmen. I suppose some look good, some don't.:)
    (you so needta see my pearl platinum ray5 with pearl pickguard and maple board:))

By the way, I got the exact same reaction abou Pedullas and their necks.

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i seem to get decent tone on mine :D

but you're right that the thumb is a beast on the shoulders - that's why i sold mine and got an SSII.

i'd love to try one of those zon legacy elite special 5's.... but my SSII probably wouldn't like it so much!

12. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Hmm... I like Warwicks. I don't own one only because I bought a MM ray 5 over the summer and just bought a new 410 cab.. The thumbs do have a neck dive problem.. What i don't understand is... if it is so bad and obvious, why don't they correct it??

I find that odd

13. I like Warwicks too. I was going to buy one over the summer too,but I found a Stingray 5 for $699 so I hopped n it. I ALSO got a new 410 too.(XLT)Coincidence? Hmmmmmmmmmm...
    Anyway,I think alot of guys learn to compensate for the neck dive by wearing there bass a little differently. I personally like the Streamers the best. I think that's the bass that got them started. I could be wrong. It seems like lately Warwick has started to cheapen themselves. They got rid of the cool brass nut and the countersunk straplocks. Then they came out with these cheap models. And calling them Streamers is wrong. Seems cheap...
    As far as Pedulla's I think they're nice,but they didn't strike me as being that special. Never played a Zon,but would like to.
    Your comments about the MM's is interesting too. I don't like all these colors that they've added to the line. I like the cool,traditional rock and roll colors they have. But,why pink,lavender,and green apple? It seems to take away from the image of the entire product.
    I think some of these companies try to market to everyone and lose their identity in the proccess.
    Well,I'll get off my soapbox now. Thanks for your time. :D

14. Thanx for the additional input... those were all great basses. I could imagine owning the Zon as a fretted partner for my fretless Carvin and the MusicMan as a slapbass for my son. I'm sure I could even learn to adapt (and like) the Pedulla's neck and you know, if I worked out more at the gym... maybe lost a little weight myself, I bet the heft of the Warwick wouldn't be bad either... I did like the tone.

Maybe next time my son and I venture into the big city we'll have a crack at some REAL amps... I'd like to compare Eden, Walter Woods, Kern pre with a brand X power amp, iAmp, and a vintage all valve Trace Elliot... sounds like fun... any ideas where I can AB any all of this equipment in the Mpls/St. Paul area?