Ok, Which Amp Brand Has The Best Tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by supernaut_1, Jan 6, 2003.

1. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    in your opinion what amp brand gives you the best tone, and which one has the majority of votes having the best tone? (which i guess i'll find out from this thread.)
  2. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Why don't you describe the sound you're after, type of music you play, etc. Otherwise this will just be a 'what kind of amp do you use' poll, since most people will tend to be using whatever is their favorite. :)
  3. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I agree with this. But to answer the question at hand, I have found my sound with Ampeg amps, Avatar cabs, and Fender Jazz basses.
  4. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i have found my best sound with a fender jazz, sadowsky pre and ampeg pre

what are you looking for?
  5. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    My tone comes from about 10% Eden, and 90% Sans Amp (The frugal man's tubeless tube amp emulator extraordinaire).
  6. At this point in time, the best tone I've played comes from a Lakland 5502/Eden VT-300A/SWR Triad. With Alembic F1-X/Carvin DCM-1000/Hartke 4.5XL coming in a close 2nd. Results may vary...:D
  7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  8. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    yeah, sorry, i should have been more specific. what i mean exactly, is what amp brand would you say has the reputation of having the best (or maybe not the best but really good) tone. i have read any other forums that it seems to be ampeg or aguilar. but i would like all of your opinions. especially because of aguilar, i'm not to familiar with that brand. sorry about my first post, it was pretty bland and i didn't get the point across.
  9. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    by leaps and bounds, the best tone i've ever been able to get out of a bass is with a warwick bass, swr interstellar overdrive, and swr goliath senior.

i did play my first eden head in a long time a month ago though, and that would be my #2 choice.
  10. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I would recommend that you get the amp, the cabinets, and the bass. It's a lot more than the amp by itself that creates the tone.

You might also ask what style of music that setup is for since a great funk setup might be a lousy rock setup... or whatnot.
  11. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    You can't go wrong with swr, they have a nice rock sound, but its a well rounded rock tone. not to mention they handle pretty much anything. Especially the goliath series
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm fairly certain that it's ApplesVsOranges. Their stuff tends to be the most popular. Bar none.
  14. zoran

May 10, 2002
    glockenklang of course, and eden a little bit
  15. Supernaut, where in TX are you?
  16. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
  17. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    if i knew i wouldnt be reading this.. if i were rich i would buy everything and wouldnt be reading this.. i like soooo many tones that i will never be happy unless i have a huge room with every option i could want, for every tone i could want, and it would all be footswitchable... so i could go from Cliff Burton tone to Flea tone while using my stingray with just a click of the footswitch :)

chances are, if you buy quality gear you will probably like the sound.. tonns of headroom, speakers that wont breakup, ability to cover the full range of frequencies and zero delay in response time usually make people happy..

also, i love having my sound come at me from two directions... amp and cab on stage behind you in conjunction with monitors on stage right infront of you, pointing up at you, would give you this great sensation.

it's a good thing i cant go to my local music store and try all the quality gear out there cause i'd go seriously mental...

wanna know what i think is good tone though? (i just senced everyone saying NO to themselves!).. well here it is anyway (keep in mind i like dirty Flea tone (BTW), clean Flea tone (BSSM), knocky cannibal corpse tone, Orion Cliff tone (played on a Ric i think), Tool tone, Anti-flag tone, P-Nut tone.. i like every tone!...

but 1 tone i really like is Mike Dirnt of Green Day playing When I Come Around at Woodstock '94.. it sounds like about 3 tones in 1 and anything missing i think i could dial in while maintaining what i already hear.. (i think he's using 2 or 3 amps, each with it's own cab and each EQ'd for a specific tone)..
    download it and give it a listen, great tone IMO.

sorry again for the long post, i type too much.
  18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

...thank you. :)