OK, which bass goes on the punk rock tour?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThunderBoomer, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Univox Professional

1 vote(s)
  2. Peavey Fury

8 vote(s)
  3. Ibanez Roadstar II

2 vote(s)
  4. Fender Precision (MIA)

51 vote(s)
  5. Yamaha Attitude Standard

6 vote(s)
  1. ThunderBoomer

Feb 22, 2004
    The incredible Roach Motel hits the road in spring, with yours truly banging on the four-string twanger. But which one to bring? I have an embarrassment of riches to choose from. Keep in mind the winning bass will fly across the country in the hold of some damn airplane after being irradiated by security and thrown across the airport by the crew of luggage abusers.

Then at the show it will be showered in beer, have objects thrown at it as large as beer bottles and ashtrays, and be used (possibly) as both an offensive and defensive weapon.

They all work and sound pretty good. But I can only get one on the airplane.

Here's the rundown.

Candidate 1 is the Univox Professional, as close a P-bass as you are gonna find that doesn't say "Fender" on it. I have had it since about 1985, when I got it in a Vegas pawn shop for like $170. MIJ from the mid-70's. This has been my main bass for years. It has been there and done that.

Candidate 2 is the Peavey Fury. This was about a C-note from the local pawn shop a couple of years ago. MIA, with a few dings and dents. Narrow neck.

Candidate 3 is the Ibanez Roadstar II. An eBay find I have had about two years, this MIJ prize was about $200 with a hard case. The color scheme is the same as Dee Dee's usual bass for what that's worth . . . RIP Dee Dee.

Candidate 4 is the Fender Precision, MIA. Nearly mint. I got this at a guitar show, again about two years ago, for like $400 with a hard case. Should I soil its relative virginity?

And, Candidate 5 is a Yamaha Attitude Standard. MIT, $225 off the Net about a month ago, then I had to "invest" more in replacement electronics, a replacement J-pickup and replacement keys. Yow. That shot the price up over $300. Jazz-type wide neck.

SO WHICH ONE GOES TO FLORIDA? Vote early and often . . .
  2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The Fender is my pick.

Thats a great bas for punk rock bands and from stories Ive heard, it will live up to the abuse. Ive seen them take a lot of abuse too for whats its worth, I just havent owened one.

Next is the Ibanez. Old Ibanez basses are solid instruments. I wouldnt be too scared with this one. I have an Ibanez from 1975 and its in solid condition. I dont know what its been through in these years since I just got it recently, but I know its taken at least some abuse.

Next is the Yamaha. Ive heard thats a good bass but thats all.

EDIT!: I almost forgot! I rarely go to a single gig with one bass, I would never go on tour with just one. If you break a string or worse, you are going to wish you had a back up. Bring two.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    First vote is Fender, 2nd is the Roadstar. Gotta agree with Nick, I wouldn't do an entire tour, let alone a single gig without at least two basses.
  4. ThunderBoomer

Feb 22, 2004
    Yeah our guitarist is gonna lend me his P as a backup. But he'd prefer to keep it out of the line of fire . . . ;)
  5. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    Roach Motel??

Like the classic Gainesville Roach Motel?

Is this original members?
  6. ThunderBoomer

Feb 22, 2004
    Our fame precedes us . . .

Yes and yes. www.matteblack.com/roachmotel

Be there or be square. :cool:

7. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Go with the Fender and take a back up. 2nd place is the Roadstar - great basses and very solid. 3rd place - your main axe, the Univox.
  8. ThunderBoomer

Feb 22, 2004
    I coulda sworn I put a poll on this thread . . . and "edit" doesn't let me add one. :spit: :confused: :mad: :(
  9. ThunderBoomer

Feb 22, 2004
    Ah . . . figured it out. :hyper:
  10. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    Unfortunately I reside in the northeastern part of the US and won't be able to see any shows.

I just had no idea you guys were still playing. I was late to the game and didn't become aware of Roach Motel until after your demise from reading some of George Tabb's columns in MRR.
  11. ThunderBoomer

Feb 22, 2004
    Hey last year we had a guy come all the way from New Hampshire to Tampa just to see the Roach Motel. (There are a lot of really sick people out there.) George ain't playing, he and Bob got into a pissing contest, but the rest of us all have 20-plus-year-old Roach credentials.
  12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'd take the one I'd miss least or could most easily replace if it was stolen or damaged on the road (assuming any of them can do the job). I voted for the Fury.
  13. bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    Yeah... the one that is most commonly replaceable... the Fender... followed by the Peavey... then the Ibanez. Aren't the Yammie and the Univox no longer produced? Keep 'em safe for the studio!
  14. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I say be a true punk and make a statement. Buy something expensive and abuse it throughout the tour. Otherwise you're just a poser.
  15. ThunderBoomer

Feb 22, 2004

No I am not a poseur. Just a cheap bastard who would rather ding up an already-dinged instrument than a shiny new one. :crying:
  16. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    GO MIA P-Bass... I used to take 2-3 basses on tour each time I'd hit the road and the newer "American Standard" series p-basses always handled things the best. The graphite reinforcements in the neck stabilize the bass through humidity and climate changes. I'll never forget pulling my basses out after crossing the Canadian Rockies and finding my Music Man in desperate need of a truss adjustment and setup while my American Standard P was not only just as I had left it, it was still in tune! That and a p-bass always looks a little better banged up IMHO. Have fun!
  17. I'd say the P would be the best choice. But, then again, I don't know if I'd want to put it through all the abuse it might encounter.
  18. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Another vote for the Fender. P-basses are virtually indestructible... built to take abuse and bust heads. My only concern would be if it's an older model without the graphite rods. Then you would definitely see some temp/humidity problems going into the swamp. If you got graphite, there is no second choice.
  19. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    haha im the only one to vote for yamaha atiitude. then i relized it said standered. ive played the billy sheehan one and it rips, super crazy tone. :bassist:
  20. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Take two.

If you do take the Fender, take care of it...duh.