1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ok who here watches American Idol? Come out :)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by NickInMesa, Mar 23, 2009.

1. I really dislike this show but somehow my daughters manage to make me watch it (or at least chunks of it) every week.

I hate most of the contestants (seriously, I've played with singers better than 90% of them all), I hate the judges (Randy, go pick a bass and play, dude), I hate the fakeness of this show. Seriously what's not to hate?

Why do I watch this show? It would be so easy to lock myself in my shop or just go practice the instrument.

Maybe I need some quality time with my kids watching something else than cartoons, poorly written kid sitcoms or violent stuff on TV, so that may be it, but still, in the back of my mind something attracts me to this craptastic TV show.

Because there are better shows than this on Discovery and Animal Planet...

Who else watches American Idol? Come out!

2. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    It is indeed a guilty pleasure in my house! I watch it with my wife and kids when I'm home.

Rickey Minor can absolutely lay it down in any style. Paula Abdul is so drunk/stoned/brain dead/incomprehensible all the time that it makes for great TV. Randy needs to really increase his base of cliche's, dawg!! Simon is brutal, and it's fun watching contestants either crumble or get sassy with him. The funniest part is watching established acts come out and lip synch their latest pop confections. It doesn't get more ironic than that!

3. I have to admit though that Adam Lambert is very entertaining and actually could pull a Daughtry if he manages to be kicked out in the top 3 so that he can record his own thing.

That is one album I would like to hear, because he really can sing (although he is very sound alike, as scone boy says).

I agree about the orchestra. They are simply excellent and flawless.

About the lip synching: unfortunately, when was the last time people cared? Milli Vanilli? Had they been American (one was German, the other ... French, for Pete's Sake), would there have been any big ruckuss about it?

Most people have crappy musical taste, anyway, so AI is what they deserve.

Ah, next: ruining some good Motown standards. I foresee Lambert singing You Keep Me Hangin' On, in full diva mode.

4. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    I also despise the show, and it's because of the fakeness. And it's also because of it's longevity, I've had it with the show.

The auditions...There will be no more William Hung!! I've hated since the beginning how they insist on showing the auditions.

The show has been on for way too long. It's almost as bad as Survivor, but don't get me started on that one...

5. I absolutely love the show. It is the complete antithesis of what the music industry has become. The fact that they actually start with whether the person can sing or not, and then work on the image is what makes it appealing. The fact that it is "person next door" and not some rich brat who has been brought up "in the business" is a little refreshing to me.

There. I'm out.

6. I watch it...but its getting old...

7. I dont wait for it to come on, but when it happens to be on, I watch just to listen to the band and envy the bass player for havin that gig lol.

8. Oh yes, I have envied him so many times.

I'd rather be playing with Kevin Eubanks, but you know, it's not like I ever had the talent nor the opportunity.

9. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I watch it. They kicked off my favorite femaile last week but her version was no where near Mindy Smith's version so she kinda deserved it.

Not that I really care, never voted or anything.

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    My wife watches on occasion, I sort of like watching the scary people when they travel from city to city but only for 10 minutes at a clip.

11. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I like the show.

12. Truktek2

Truktek2

Sep 5, 2008
    Queens, NY
    After so many seasons, I feel the show is starting to get stale. Thay need to introduce more gimmicks like other reality shows to keep their viewers interested. Maybe they can eat bugs or pick their songs from briefcases, or maybe they should sing while juggling or balancing on a ball....but seriously haven't we seen enough? :bag:

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I dont like it, but my girlfriend likes to watch, and so I watch along as well.

14. This show was stale from the start.

They obviously go against the viewers choice. For instance that one girl who had racy (ok, X rated) pictures of herself apparently (according to dialidol.com) got a boost in votes when the "scandal" was revealed, yet they let her go the next day. It's about who they think can sell more records after that, not who people really like.

There are consistent complaints about how some great singers are left behind at the auditions because they had "issues" (for instance were overweight or just not pretty enough for prime time).

You've got to love how pretty much everybody in the audience is young, female, caucasian and pretty. How the applause always sounds the same (since they are canned).

In all of this, they sometimes have a kid with an attitude, who really makes it entertaining.

But most are gutless wannabees sitting pretty.

And it's somewhat entertaining to see them make a mess out of great songs.

Tonight they are mangling Motown. That should be craptastic.

15. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I watched the first season or two, then couldn't care less. Not my type of music, marginal talent most of the time, etc.

However, I have watched for the past 2 seasons. Why?
    My son is an up and coming professional bass player. He's almost 20, has been playing for about 9 years, and has been a working musician since he was 14 (performing and recording) - mostly with musicians much older than him. He is also a recent graduate of the L.A. Music Academy.

Making a living as a musician is tough. Although being a part of a slammin' band would be his first choice, he is also ready for sideman opportunities with solid artists. Several of the kids currently on Idol show real promise, and will eventually be looking for the right musicians for their own bands. We live in the L.A. area, so fortunately, we're close to some potential opportunities. He's in it for the long run, so he knows he will not always be playing music is his favorite, but through his experience and training he is prepared for most anything that is thrown at him. He will always be a student, and knows he has a lot to learn, but he's ready to step up to pro gigs. He may be a good fit for some of the Idol contestants.

It's also great to watch (and listen to) Rickey Minor and his band every week. I don't like every arrangement, but the band is fantastic (the same can be said for all of the "Late Night" bands and bass players as well, but work precludes me from staying up that late.) As a side note, Rickey's new book is a must read for anyone who is planning on a career in music, and is also very relevant and applicable for anyone in business.

That said, the Ford commercials during the show do want to make me puke.

16. backline112

backline112 Guest

Jun 3, 2008
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-blankenship/two-reasons-susan-boyle-m_b_187901.html

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=535884

It's absurd.