1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ok who knows what pick up?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by magic8161, Apr 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. magic8161

magic8161 Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    This is jerry Scheff Elvis bass player . Try to figure out what pickup that is in the back. It must be a custom bass. Notice the switch between the knobs. Unless fender made theses back then. Pre 1977.

Attached Files:

sikamikanico likes this.
  2. Stonetown Lows

Stonetown Lows Commercial User

Jan 23, 2014
    Ringwood NJ
    Owner, M&V Guitars &Pickups
    No Fender I'm aware of ever had what looks like a big single coil like that in the bridge position. That looks a lot like a frankenstein of that period. There was no Fender "Custom" shop either. We loved stripping finishes and natural wood back then, and it was really common to to throw odd pickups in the bridge position. I started playing in '64, and I remember all the hardware as it came out. My vote is definitely a heavily modified Fender. Probably sounded great! I wonder who made it?

magic8161 likes this.
  3. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    That's what I call a bridge pickup! In a pinch, it can be used as the bridge. ;)
    This reminds me a little bit of Berry Oakley's Tractor bass, also an example of 70s mods gone wild.

magic8161 likes this.
  4. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    That's kinda cool! I don't think I ever saw that pic, or if I did I thought it was a foam mute...

I have no idea what it is. Maybe a P90?

5. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Looks like some sort of P90 guitar pickup to me.
    images (4).

magic8161 likes this.
  7. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Another blurry look.
    download (2).

8. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm even more convinced it's guitar pickups now.

magic8161 likes this.