Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OK who saw Randy Jackson and that MM last night..........

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RoVaughn, Feb 9, 2006.

1. RoVaughn

RoVaughn

Oct 8, 2005
    He was really doing his thing during Mariahs preformance especially the last song she did. I wonder what made him go with the MM over his usual Fender although the MM sounded crazy....My wife was like your not buying one of those untill you make more money...........

discuss

2. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    Has he been using a Fender? I thought it was always a Mike Lull.

3. I hate wives. Although I love mine (psst....shes right behind me)NOw go make more money and get yourself one.

4. I've seen him play a Lakland 55-94 in the past with Mariah... he's a great player.

5. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah the Fender style instrument he plays is a Mike Lull.
    But Mike doesn't make 55-94s or MM styled instruments so he's probably digging those also.

6. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Heh I love his Lull print add, cracks me up every time I see it.

7. I was wondering if that was him.

Good eye on what bass he was using, cause I watched her whole performance and he got very little camera time, and I wasn't even sure if that was him let alone what bass he was using.

8. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Yeah, I saw it. Nice playin' . That band was tight!

Last time I saw him playing with Mariah (at a benefit concert for hurricane vitims) he was playing a Bongo 5.

I guess he's liking EBMMs lately - It sounded awesome on TV (had the audio hooked up to my studio monitors).

9. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Its very rare on a TV performance (esp. an awards show) for me to hear the tone of the bass and like it...and he was sounding GREAT.

10. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Yeah, he's really a very good player. I don't think too many "normal" (i.e., non-bassists) people understand just how good a player he is.

I thought the bass he used during the Sly tribute was a Lull, but I wasn't real focused on it during that time. Those tribute things are always a mess anyhow .... too many players, too many people, too much confusion.

11. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Know of any sites that have clips of this available?

12. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    It was definitely a MM, the shape of the pickguard was pretty visible.

13. Steelpulz

Steelpulz

Nov 4, 2003
    Inglewood, CA
    and has been for a long time. I attended Southern University in Baton Rouge from 77-82, and he was the big time bassist on campus during those days. That was when he started playing with Billy Cobham, Jean Luc Ponty etc.

14. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Randy Jackson has been playing MusicMan basses for a long time. Anyone remember his pink w/white polka-dot Stingray that he used with Journey?...

15. He was playing a Bongo (and a Bass Novation) with Mariah during Live 8, IIRC.

16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I saw Randy last night with his Stingray. Could hear him too well though. I just played a two pup Stingray. I bet Randy would kill on that!

17. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    he was running the D.I. out of his GBE1200. We're very proud of that D.I and all the comments we get from techs and soundmen.

18. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Is the same DI used on the whole line of the GBE amps?

I missed the show, and I'm feeling bad for missing it just because of reading this thread. :oops:

19. Yeah!!! I forgot about it!!!... speaking of Randy, I love his playing in the Susana Hoff's cd: "When you're a boy" anyone heard it? it is a pretty good pop cd.