Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ok, who's going to buy an Origami?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Mar 9, 2006.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Despite consistent rumors that Origami was Microsoft's alternative to the iPod (annoyingly called the "or-Pad" by every internet columnist in the world), it turns out that they're releasing another smaller PC.

[​IMG]

I thought the big deal regarding the new ultra-small PCs was that they were going to be running the full XP OS. Instead, it looks like Origami will be running XP Tablet. :meh:

2. jokke_v

jokke_v

Aug 15, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    Err.. It's too big to be portable , and too small to be usable. :meh:

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

+1

I'd rather save my money for a really nice laptop. That is portable enough for me.

4. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Depends; if I have money at the time it comes out. I could use something between a laptop and a PDA/PSP. I do a lot of waiting for stuff to happen.

5. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I saw an interview with an executive at Intel yesterday and he said he believes their biggest market will be.......

Soccer moms. :rollno:

Personally, I find that devices that claim to do everything typically don't do anything WELL.

6. lbpark

lbpark Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Mobile, Al.
    I think it'll crash and burn.

7. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I'd only buy it if I could make it change from a portable PC to a swan to a frog to a turtle.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I hope it does crash and burn.

9. i dunno...i have a feeling it will be way overpriced for what it actually does. kinda like that two wheeled scooter that was supposed to revolutionize the way we move...what was that called again?
    the rascal or something?

anyways, i dunno why we have people who are trying to make stuff like this...imo they haven't even half-perfected the laptop, why go smaller?

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I had a Newton... damn thing was huge! :D

11. Looks like a PDA with a mini-keyboard attached.

12. Segway.

I have to ask, why? A laptop can be just as powerful as any PC, and is just about as portable as a backpack or briefcase. So what if it's a little smaller? Damn society all caught up in smaller and cheaper.

I hereby say "bah" and make this topic unimportant.

Bah.

Rock on
    Eric

13. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    For some things, smaller really is better, as in:

- Couch potato web surfing

- Watching a movie on the train

etc. etc.

I'm not sure this size is the "killer app" form factor, but eventually, when the right size and price point intersects, this mini-PC class of devices is going to be as hot as cell phones. It's inevitable.