Ok, you computer wizzes, help a guy out...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blackbird, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I am sure there's a ton of software that manufacturers put in their computers that serve no function whatsoever. My question is this: Is there an easy way to identify and get rid of these files? Thanks.

Will C.:cool:
  2. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    well, the computer companies decided that we need all that extra software, and some of it CAN be useful, no matter how useless it may sound. I guss there really is no way to get rid of all that stupid, but useful, software that they put there, other than deleting them or putting them in the trash bin. Just dont go snooping around your control panels thinking "who needs an aplication named 'properties' anyways? i already pay property tax!!!" :rolleyes:

but since most bassists are usually smarter than the average bear, we shouldnt have any problems with that!

so i guess my advice is, dont delete anything! its better than you have it and dont need it, than the other way around!

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    What Computer? Operating System? How much space do you need to clear up? -or do you mean background stuff using up memory?
  4. I would just format the hard disk and start afresh with just the apps I want. I guess it depends how much important stuff is already on the disk.
  5. on a windows nt/2000/xp, a lot of speed can be gained by disabling unused services and doing some changes in the registry..
  6. Hey Allo, what do you think of all this Palladium nonsense for the next windows release? I know it's gonna make me move to Linux full time, just as soon as I can get Counterstrike for linux... :D
  7. blech ! Linux is for b****es !

anywayz... me thinks microzoft is making a wrong move with all this anti-piracy crap in windows XP servicepack 1.. lots of people will switch to other OS'es because of this.

I mean.. you buy windows XP.. install it.. activate it and it works.. but if you buy a new mobo+CPU.. you cannot use your XP anymore without having to ask Microsoft to renew your activation code.. what kind of crap is that ?
  8. Ahhh but it gets worse...the next microsoft OS will have anti piracy measures and can actually stop you using unauthorised software.

I know it'll make me switch OSs. Linux will be my second choice because it's the one I know how to use the most after windows
  9. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Reading this, I think I'll stay with W2K as long as I can. "If it ain't broken, don't fix it!"

We're not much help, are we Will? :D
  10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Well, at least you're willing and the price is right.:p

FYI, I'm running windows Millenium.

And I'm mostly talking about files occupying disk space and slowing the machine down.