Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PurpleSushi, Jul 26, 2005.

1. PurpleSushi

Jul 26, 2005
    North Dakota
    ok, i am really new at this so bear with me. i have always been interested in playing the bass guitar and have researched and such but still know little about them. the problem is everyine sais goto a music store and pick one you like, as in feels and sounds right to me and such. the only problem is, there arent any reall music stores here to try out different brands. the only thing i have to go on are reviews. not that i want to spend $1000 on a new bass since i'm a beginner. i also realize it depends on the person and what they like. so, ehh i duno. the most i can do is shop online, since i dont have access to a big town. any suggestions on anything? i know this is probably not the place to post this but, well here it is
  2. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    Starter pack. Tell you REALLY know what you want, and know that you'll completely stick with the hobby, you don't want to spend too much.

Squier, Ibanez, Dean, and Epiphone will probably be your main choices. Read the reviews on the specific value packages, and see if there are any coincidences between them. Make a decision from that.

And on another note, be a bit more specific with your thread title so people know what you want BEFORE they click on the link.
  3. Well, first off, have a read of the various threads that are on this site.

Try the Essex MEGATHREAD on the Basses board - heaps of useful info there.

Also, scroll down the Basses board and just look for any thread that is titled "First bass" or "Beginner Bass" etc - there are literally hundreds of them and they all contain info that you may find helpful.

This site also has a "search" feature so you can find stuff that has been posted in the past to help you with your questions.

I also highly recommend that you check out the FAQ topic at the top of the page and all the "Sticky" threads on each board.

Welcome to TB and good luck!
  4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi and welcome to TalkBass!

Most people in these forums seem to agree that the best choice for a beginner is an Essex (SX) bass. Search for a mega-thread about them. You can check these basses here.

Hope this helps.
  5. PurpleSushi

Jul 26, 2005
    North Dakota
    well thanks for the input, i'm not really god at explaining what i cant find or whatever. i'm not good at explaining myself i guess. anyway i will try and find more stuff, so far most of the stuff i have read hasnt helped much, i'm sure i'll find something tho