Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ok

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by r_simonini, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Does anyone find slapping and poppin to be completely distasteful 99% of the time? I slap occasionaly but i almost never pop. I hate that sound and have appreciated when players move away from the slapping sound. I like wooten, flea and a whole group of other players much more without the slapping/popping. I am tired of it. It is a technique and should be used accordingly.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yup.....I am also swayed awain from slap...I used to be a little Primus junky and all I did was play primus songs...then I got into Wooten and all I did was play Wooten songs....now I'm into Jaco..and all I do is play Jaco songs...that said, I'm seeing Wooten live tommorrow and probably after that I'm going to get into him again :) I'm on the verge of getting into michael manring, he's a genius, I think that everything he does is pretty tasteful, be it tapping, slapping, wapping, or crapping....ummm I'll stop now.

3. strangely engough, i am going to see victor tonight. I love his playing but the slapping trend gets old coming from all genres.

4. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well its a good thing he doesn't slap then.

Seriously it seems like most people don't even realize how he plays. Most of the time he uses his two fingers. Thats it! He will even tell you that. Now he also uses his thumb when he is soloing and such (sometimes also when laying down a groove) but he isn't really "slapping" how you might think of it. He is just plucking the string. Using your thumb is just another way to pluck a string it doesn't dictate what you are playing.

Also to say "slap gets old" is kind of strange since that can be applied to ANYTHING you listen to.

"Sax gets so old after awhile...Guitar gets so old...piano gets so old...jazz gets so old...rock gets so old" ad infinitum.

What you should say is "bad music is boring to listen to." THAT is what get's old. Victor is always doing new stuff each time ive seen him (6 so far, the 7th tomorrow).

So I hope you enjoy the show!

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    You going to the catalina bar and grill?
    Yeah, I'm going tommorrow night...3rd time seeing him..I can't wait.

you going to the 8:30 or the 10:30?
    I'm going to the 8:30...but now I wish I was going to the 10:30...because last time I saw him with the mike stern band I went to both an 8:30 and a 10:30...and for the 10:30 he had a big long solo set, but the 8:30 he only soloed inside a couple songs.

I'll be the tall lanky guy wearing the ZERO cap hanging out with a group of about 12 friends that are all going :"D

6. I consider slapping/popping a technique that should be one of your many skills/styles. But, a lot of times I see a LOT of movement and LITTLE sound. Plus, I don't want to hear everyfreakingsongslappedallnight...Ya know what I mean?

What I'm trying to say is: Have it available to ya to use but be VERSATILE and flexible...

Be able to:
    -sound like an upright
    -sound like Jaco
    -hold the groove
    -anchor the bottom
    -provide a SOLID platform for the band to work off of...etc

7. Victor seemed to slap a pretty fair aount at that show tonight. In fact that is more slapping than i have ever seen in one sitting. it was quite amazing. however, this is an aberration and i will not accept the whole tend of slapping because of one mans abilities.

a retort to your comment QUOTE]Also to say "slap gets old" is kind of strange since that can be applied to ANYTHING you listen to. [/QUOTE]

you are are refrerring to instruments and i refer to a technique.

verb....noun

I enjoyed the show

8. fine
  9. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    *Anything* is bad if you overuse it, with poor technique and bad taste. I don't slap worth a damn, but can sometimes use the occasional pop as an effect, much as a drummer might hit the occasional rim shot for emphasis. If it fits the music I'd say anything goes. What's wrong with that?

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's all in how you use it.
    Listen to Marcus Miller. Popping never sounded so cool.