Okawa Tetsuya

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Sojhen, Mar 4, 2003.

1. His short name is Tetsu. He is the leader for a japanese band called L'arc-en-Ciel.. Oddly enough
    the band's name is french and it means "Rainbow"
    Tetsu is an amazing Bass player maybe not as fast fingered as some well known english bass players (jaco) <-- I hear his name alot... But he is pretty good.. I personally love japanese music.. and him being the leader makes me like the band even more
    It's good to hear of Bass players as leaders for bands.. It makes alot of sense to us now that we understand the importance of the Bass, Alot of people even one's I know personally think the bass guitar to be a simple instrument and that the Electric is alot harder.. But we know better ha,ha,ha! :bassist:
  2. I think he's great. And he does have fast fingering. If you've ever seen the "Stay Away" music video he shows it.

Personally, I thought L'arc en Ciel was always interesting because in many songs the bass played melodies while the guitar was mostly used to accompany it and keep rhythm. A totally flipped idea that they made work. Of course it's not evident in every song of theirs, but they're well known for doing this.
  3. Yeah I like Laruku alot and have managed to burn what I believe to be some of their best songs... I like listening to Tetsu play bass and I actually have the tab for blurry eyes and man is it complicated and fast lol....
  4. Sorry to revive the dead thread - but I've been trying to figure out what bass Tetsu plays.

It often sounds like a fretless, especially at 3:10 in flower (True, and Clicked Singles).
    Also, does anyone know what he uses at 2:20 in Fare Well (True). Sounds like a bass, but it could be an acoustic guitar???

I'm pretty certain he uses a 4-string, but exclusively?

Edit: Ok, figured out he uses a Zon Legacy, from an earlier post. But with a pick? Is this true? Does he always use one?
  5. Alright, found an interesting page for people:
    Check out that collection. :eek:

One bass in there is marked fretless... My guess is that he doesn't them on the albums. :)

Still wonder about the pick though...
  6. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    i had a look at that stay away song and this guy is good!, love the sound he gets out of the bass too, a really talented pick player, does he use fingers to?
  7. Whoa. It's been awhile since I've been to this section of TB. Anyway, I could've sworn that he uses finger style for some songs (note that I meant fretting when I said "fingering" in the previous post), but his sound is pretty rooted in pick. I'll borrow my friend's L'arc en Ciel live videos and check up on this.

And yeah, he's sponsored by ESP (or at least they provide him with bass equipment). Same with the former Luna Sea guys Inoran, J, and Sugizo, as well as two of the girls from THE SCANTY (Akane and the guitarist, forgot her name). I'd really like to try the Tetsu, J, and Akane ESP basses sometime (though Akane's totally looks like a Stingray), but unfortunately they're only available in Japan. Makes sense, since ESP is a much more popular name there, and the artists aren't well known in the US.
  8. Interesting to see that someone revived this thread from the dead while I was away... Laruku is definatly in my top 10 for fav bands.... And as far as favorite bass players tetsu is in my top five.... I was very fortunate in finding the band :D :bassist:

Feb 21, 2005
    Tetsu is the reason why I bought a bass + bass amp.

I don't use my bass for other than #1 playing laruku songs and #2 creating bass lines for my band's songs. (all of my bass lines are pretty much 100% Tetsu-influenced. I have no other influences in bass)

I play guitar :p
  10. Wakisazhi

Aug 26, 2005
    Yeah tetsu's stuff is pretty amazing, I simply love his solo's it really gives you a pretty different perspective on bass playing.
  11. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I definitely enjoy that guy's taste in instruments. I really gotta check out his playing.
  12. dabassist

Jul 24, 2003

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone know what strings/basses/amps he uses currently?

Listening to the latest album, AWAKE, some of the tones were obviously sadowsky to my ears, and I acctually have confirmed that he recorded many of the songs with his ash/maple sadowsky. However, does anyone know what amps he use? It's been driving me nuts. :confused:

13. dabassist

Jul 24, 2003
    I just found out that tetsu is mainly using zon and sadowsky basses, and ampeg vintage bass amps for recording. For live, he uses his signature ESP basses and trace elliot amplification.

He recently published a book with all of his basses in and wow, what a collection.
  14. I've recently started listening to L'Arc... what I've been missing :bawl:

Better late than never, I guess.
  15. Have any of you listened to their new single A new World..? It's pretty cool as far as I can remember... Nice to see people keeping this thread alive.. see you around the boards....:bassist:
    Interesting to see another fan of Dir as well,.... nice,nice...
  16. RMXSeven

May 18, 2008
    I learnt to play "New World" recently. It's great.
    Tetsuya is by FAR my favourite bass player. Hands down.

He plays finger style for a few songs, checkout "Winterfall".
    Sometimes 6 string, "Neo universe".
    Sometimes slap "Nepenthes".

I bought a special edition of a Japanese bass mag that was solely about him.

I've got their entire discography (minus a few singles) and pretty much all the Live DVD's.

From what I've heard, he mostly uses his zons (Legacy Elites) in the studio, along with the Sadowsky. Recently, lakland has been the flavour for lives, otherwise, almost exclusively ESP on stage.

I used to question whether he played fretless, but after switching to flatwounds, and working on my playing, I can replicate his buttery smooth sound (Sometimes).

I've got the Edwards version of the Bardic (Also similar to his lakland) with flatwounds on it, and its AMAZING. You can only get them in Japan, so, I went to Japan ;) Much better than most things I've tried here in Australia.

I've ordered a custom built Zon, which should arrive in the next few weeks I hope. 4 String Walnut Legacy Elite.:hyper:

As for amps and such, He used to use Basson 2x 8x10's on stage, with a 4x10 mic'd. SVT 8x10's too.

I'm going to the L'Arc~en~Ciel 20th Anniversary concert in Tokyo in two week, so, I'll post what I see there.... OMG I'm excited now...