Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Okay, advice needed. (Which head/cab to get?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I'm looking for a way to fatten up and generally improve my tone. For $500. I've made alot of stupid threads in the past, but this is the one official thread for Albini_Fan where he is going to get things done.

My current set-up right now is:

MiM Jazz into a Ampeg 210sp. Yeah. Real interesting. This is what I want to do, and you're going to help me perfect my idea and fit my price range.

I want to get a fatter bottom, and dirty highs. So I think I want to get a crossover (to run the highs into the 2x10 combo and the low into the cab/head discussed in a second), and cheap head/decent cabinet.

I just need a head to match the volume of the 200watt combo, and a nice sounding cab. Maybe I could spring for a 1x18, if it's in my price range.

Is this impractical? :/ Maybe I should discuss my style before I go asking for a head/cab. I recently made friends with a guitarist who's way into Isis/Bongzilla/Eyehate god stuff. So he's playing alot of that, and I have to compliment his playing, which required me to tune my bass BEAD. But my style is more of a stoner meets Jesus Lizard/Shellac groove. If any of that makes sense. It dosn't. But I'm going to be running a overdrive pedal into the 2x10, and I might even run a sansamp before both of them. But if sounds good enough without it, I might not buy a SABDDI at all. I don't think any of this helps. Sorry.

2. Honesty, for $500 I don't think you will find anything unless you strike some amazing deals.

3. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    Live with your 210SP for now. Save more money. Try out lots of head/cab combinations. When you have enough money, buy something that you will be happy with. The key to this plan is patience.

4. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I could get a guitar amp (they're everywhere used) for cheap, and use it for the dirty and my combo I already have for the clean/lows. I'd run a a metal zone (probably not a metalzone), or some other guitar overdrive-ish pedal that kills the lows before the amp. This would be way less than $500, and would be a good temporary solution until I can actually save up for a decent head/cab. And my 210sp already has room-shaking lows, anyways.

Should I do this? Or just save up more?

5. How about you just SAVE your money ?

And if you mean a guitar combo since a bass is such low frequencies you risk blowing the speaker on a guitar amp I believe.

6. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    Save a few hundred more bucks and you can upgrade to a good used head or SWR Workingmans or GK 400RB
    or you get the idea + maybe Avatar 410 or 212. This would give you a rig that would work in most situations. Save more money and you can get better equipment. Try out gear to see what works for you and then make a plan to acquire the required funds. Don't give in to instant gratification.

7. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Ah, right now I really just play by myself or practice. I don't really need a louder set-up, and my 210sp sounds good by itself. It could use some overdrive, and some brighter high-end. This is why I want to get another amp. A ****y guitar amp. And saving seems irrelevant when I could just get this for cheap:

A sansamp bass driver, and run the parrelel into a 1x10 guitar practice amp with the lows cut. The sansamp bass-driver would make the amp I already have sound better, and I would just run the practice amp blasting for the highs. The 210sp dosn't have very good highs. It'd make for a cool tone, atleast I think it would. I really like the sound of Iron Monkey's bass, and they got it via playing through a near-exploding guitar practice amp.

This would be a temporary solution, and would suit me until I could afford some 8x10/head raging stack of doom :p