Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Okay, all of you Muff experts out there

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tedintheshed, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I am making an effort to expand my knowledge of the Big Muff Pi universe, aka the Muffiverse. My understanding is that there were two different Green Russian made Big Muff Pis. The first was the original, and the second was a reissue. I am trying to figure the difference out, then when perusing the bay I came across this Muff:

[​IMG]

So, I'm thinking that it's not bad and I look at the rest of the images, and notice this:

[​IMG]

Do you see it? Does it look familiar? Here's a hint:

[​IMG]

Yes, it it the same star/bird image that appears on the new black Russian Muffs. In have never seen one on a green Muff before, so is that the reissue, and thus how one can tell the difference?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Never heard of a Sovtek "reissue" as you say it. Never noticed this bird on a green Muff, but never noticed it not being there. Could be a transitional unit.

Sovtek has only been around fifteen years, started up in the early 90's. The exact year escapes me at the moment, but the first Russian Muff was the Red Army Overdrive, then the green Muff as you know it. The black one soon followed. As for this unit, it appears to be an in-between unit, with the design of the black on a green box... maybe they intended to keep them green? Who knows. All I can tell you is that as far as I know, there is no green Muff "reissue"

My theory: transitional Muff.

3. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    Sovtek has only been around since the early 90's? I bought a green Sovtek Big Muff, and it's so beat up it looks alot older. I thought they were around in the late-70's early 80's (for no good reason). Sheesh.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nope, not Sovtek. The early green ones lost paint easy, don't know why.

Electro Harmonix started in the '70's. Mike Matthews moved some production to Russia for the first time in the early 90's.

5. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I thought the same thing. How did Cliff Burton play a green Russian Muff if they came out at least four years after his death? Bah, now I'm confuzzled.

Graeme

6. 3NotesAbar

3NotesAbar

Jul 3, 2005
    Singapore
    I just bought one (the Green one)...and...i only know that it rocks...anything from a Woolly Mammoth-ish bottom boom to thinny fuzz. :bag:

7. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    this article has good brief history of EHX: http://www.ehx.com/reviews/matthewsreprint3.pdf

8. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Some were steel chasis, and others were aluminium. I think the steel ones needed primer for paint to stay.

He bought Sovtek in '88.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Figured it was something like that.
    But thats when it was only tubes, before he brought over the EHX line. When exactly did the pedals begin production?

10. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well, he bought a military factory in '89, but Burton dies in 86 IIRC. He started his relationship with the Russians in '79, so it may be possible that a Russian factory were making these for him earlier. Most of these factories were old military facories gone south, so I can see them using old Russian green military paints and what ever was lying around to make them.

You would think a factory actually owned by him would have higher QC standards.

11. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well, he bought a military factory in '89, but Burton dies in 86 IIRC. He started his relationship with the Russians in '79, so it may be possible that a Russian factory were making these for him. Most of tyese factories were old military facories gone south, so I can see them using old Russian green military paints and what ever was lying around to make them.

You would think a factory actually owned by him would have higher QC standards.

12. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    LOL- reading one of the articles, it said his Russian pedals were initially made out of Russian submarine scraps!

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep.

I've been trying to piece together a history of Electro-Harmonix. I think it would make for a very interesting read.

14. Has anyone figured out how Burton played one if they didnt exist? :meh:

15. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Okay, I've sent this letter off to them:

Greetings,

Wonderful pedals you folks make! As a bassists, I find myself with more and more of your pedals on my pedal board.

I am looking for information regarding production of the earlier Russian made Big Muff's. I am trying to discover just when and under what circumstances the green Russian made Big Muffs were made.

It appears from the reading I've done that (especially the most helpful article on your site) that Mike Matthews started production of the pedals in '89 when he bought the Russian factory, yet it is documented that Cliff Burton of Metallica played one before his death in 1986. This information obviously contradicts. I was wondering did Mr. Matthews have a Russian factory make these pedal for him earlier?

Any specific information given would be most helpful.

Thank you,

(signature)

16. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Check this out...

A 1st edition Big Muff Pi!

17. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio

One more thing. Here is a post from another forum that is related and people may find interesting. I don't know if it is factual or not though but I have no evidence to believe it is not.

I don't know why I've been so obsessed with Muffs lately!

18. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Frustration??? :bag:

a bit off topic, but has anyone heard an official outcome of Mike's issues in Russia with the Sovtek plant?

19. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio

20. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    UPDATE:

1) No answer from EHX yet regarding my letter, but I am patient.

2) Here is a second Muff, with the same "bird/star" logo. hmmm....

[​IMG]