Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Okay, better bassist/lead singer Mark King or Les Claypool?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    To be honest, I can't choose. They both do complicated licks while singing.

2. Mark King, because he can actually sing.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    LOL! Oh Smug King, you may have a point!

4. I'm pretty sure that Claypool would be the first to admit that his singing voice ain't the greatest. King's, by comparison, is smooth and relatively rich.

He's a notch (just one, though) below King and Claypool as a player, but John Wetton is IMO one of the best bassist-vocalists ever. His work with the '72-74 incarnation of King Crimson was just plain spectacular, as evidenced in abundance on the The Great Deceiver live box set.

5. SuperSonic!!!

SuperSonic!!!

Oct 26, 2005
    YORKSHIRE
    Both are my favourite bassists so i cant comment.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Geddy Lee, with his high pitched bizzaro vocal timber and kickass basslines rules them both.

Then Claypool, but only because I think his cheese is better than Kings version.

7. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Mark King, no question.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Mark King by far.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Mark King, but Level 42's music is often unlistenable... some say that about Primus... but Level 42 is too bleh for me most of the time.

10. SuperSonic!!!

SuperSonic!!!

Oct 26, 2005
    YORKSHIRE
    Level 42 are my favourite band, but i dislike anything after '85/'86. They started doing cheesy pop stuff :rollno: , which is nothing compared to their original '80/'81 jazz-funk stuff. Sadly, that stuff was only really popular in Europe so most of you American guys might not have heard much of that, probably mostly the pop stuff instead. You lot should listen to the Early Tapes! :)

11. I remember Pitchfork once doing a "song-off" between "Something About You" and Toto's "Africa." Ultimately, they went with the latter, giving it (IIRC) 3 stars vs. only 2.5 for "Something About You."

Not that this is germane to anything, I just figured I'd bring it up.

12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    If Primus did more than take a bass riff and write a repetitious tune around it I might actually like Les.

13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    My vote goes to Les, just because I am not too into Mark King's music. IMHO, Les' voice fits Primus perfectly.

14. terrelli721

terrelli721

Mar 19, 2006
    Indianapolis
    I would say mark has a much better voice, but it's pretty hard to say who's better because I believe once you get to a certain level you have peers and not superiors.

15. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    +1 - credit goes out to Les' original style of playing though

16. I 'll vote for Mark King, however like some posted earlier, Geddy rules them both.

17. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

Absolutely!!!