Okay, better question...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Trevorus, May 4, 2004.

1. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Okay, if I have a front routed bass, and I want to rear route it instead, how would I go about filling the cavities? Nevermind that it might be easier to buy a new body. Just looking at the implications this might have, and any forseeable problems I might run into. Thanks for your help.
  2. It's pretty easy to do but after it's finished, the body will only be suitable for an opaque painted finish.

Cut and shape the pieces, glue them in, and then route flush with the rest of the face.
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    what about a structural cavity, such as one for a bass trem. What if you wanted to fill that?
  4. good work reviving your thread trevorus. You've made me proud. :smug:
  5. Skips

Feb 19, 2003
    Same thing. Just cut blocks that fit in, but a bit higher, so that you can route/sand it flush. You could probably use epoxy to fill in small gaps between blocks.
  6. This is the ticket - and you can take it one step further by using the same wood as the rest of the body. If you got real anal, you could even cut the blocks to match the original grain orientation - not matched for looks, just direction. You'll want something at least matching in density especially since the replaced area is right under the bridge.

As I write this, I wonder about a different way to do this. What if you were to make a nice slurry of epoxy and sawdust in a quantity that could be poured/squeezed into the cavity? Just top it off, let cure and then route.
  7. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Man, are you a heap of work...
    You forgot one thing: you need to top it off at least once more, because the slurry would sink during curing. If you made the slurry so thick that you could avoid this, you'd have problems to fill the cavity without voids.

The easy way is to extend the cavity to an easily reproduced shape, through the body, then gluein a piece and trim it.