Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Okay big question, lots of help needed from you Eletronic Experts

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tiredman9, Aug 29, 2005.

1. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    Srry bout the long title but here we go.
    I have an epiphone thunderbird and it has a v-v-t control setting
    I am going to replace the tone knob with a double stacked knob this one-- http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electro...meters_and_push-pull_pots/5/Control_Pots.html

The bottom of the stack knob will be the tone (also getting the capacitator from Stewmac, any recomandations of which one)

The top of the stack will be distortion. which will use this as its capacitator-- http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electro...rive/1/Black_Ice_Overdrive/Related_items.html
    (yes my pickup is strong enough)

Now how can i wire this so that the tone effects both pickups and the overdrive affects only the P pickup (its P-J)

If i need extra wire or whatever please tell me (and what kinds)

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Schweet. :cool:
    If I think about this... right now... I'm going to put this idea out there:
    Vol-Blend-Double:
    Run the wires like you would normally for Vol-Blend. For the double, only wire the P pup to the distortion, and then wire both to the tone part, then to the output jack. It'll be messy-ish, but that'll do ya.
    Vol-Vol-Double:
    Wire the Vol-Vol normally, then run P to the distortion & tone, and J to tone only, run to output jack.

This is a neat idea... for some reason I feel like I'm missing something terribly important. Oh well, that's what you get for running on 2.5 hours of sleep. *yawn*

-Ray

3. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    thanks. but what wires do i use and how do i connect (well soldering obviously but on what part etc)

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I believe StewMac has wiring diagrams available... heck, you could probably ask them to make you a schematic for what you want to do even. And as to what wire to use... I can't tell ya, I only ever used what was previously on the parts.

-Ray

5. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    any one know what level-kind-what have you capacitator i need for a 500k tone pot

6. 500K pot will give you a brighter sound than a 250K pot, given the same capacitor...buy two 0.050 uF capacitors...connect one, and try it...if you need more bass, connect the second one in parallel to effectively double the capacitance to 0.100 uF.