1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Okay, Did I Just Kill My Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Saint, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Last week, my band played a gig outdoors and everything sounded great. I set my Carvin R600 amp on full range and ran one amp to my 8ohm 4x10 cabinet for use as a stage monitor and the other I ran into my Palmer speaker simulator (also an 8 ohm load) at a modest volume and then out to the board.

Now, I find that when I plug my cabinet into the "Hi Frequency" output of my Carvin head, I get underpowered, distorted tone that fades in and out. The "Low Frequency" out works fine, as do both the "Bridged" outs.

Is it possible that I fried the "hi frequency" amp (the r600 has 2 amps in it) by running it into the dummy load of the Palmer?
    Again, everything at the gig sounded great, both the sound thru the Palmer and off the board and the sound coming out of my 4x10 stage monitor.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. trasser

trasser

Dec 13, 2005
    Are you playing an active bass? Have you tried changing the battery?
    I'm not familiar with the amp, if it's a tube amp or has a tupe preamp, you might have hurt it when you moved it. I'm quite the bass noob, I don't know anything about the things you mentioned

3. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Thanks for the suggestions, but I've tried all that. It's definitely something related to that part of the head, whether it's the amp or some connection internally, I don't know. It's definitely not the instrument, the cabinet or the cables.

What I'm really after is trying to find out if it's possible that using the Palmer speaker simulator harmed my amp. I certainly hope not because it's expensive and I'd hate to get this head repaired/buy another and then find out that the Palmer causes another blow out.

My problem is that while I know quite a bit about basses and bass technology, I'm a complete dunce when it comes to amps and cabinets and things that cause them to go wrong.

4. Perhaps the bass gods are punishing you for abandoning GK:D
    I do have an old Carvin tube guitar head but no idea to help you on your problem. Hope you get it sorted out soon.

5. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    More likely I'm being punished for playing in a classic rock cover band.

6. Geez...I used to be a metal guitarist now I'm playing bass in a country band; I fear to think what the metal gods have in store for me...:bag:

7. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Still looking for an answer. Anyone?

8. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Zakk and Dime aint gonna be happy! :oops:

9. Noks

Noks

Jun 18, 2007

:eek: :scowl:

10. bassclefman

bassclefman

Apr 12, 2007
    New York City
    Hi guys! I have an ampeg B2 amp which kicks out 450 Watts @ 4 ohms and 250 Watts @ 8ohms I currently use the Swr henry the 8X8 speaker cab on this amp, the henry 8X8 can handle 480 watts @ 4 ohms. My question is, can I add a swr son of Bertha cab to this system, son of Bertha handles 350 watts @ 8 ohms, can I run them parrallel? How do I hook up the speaker cables? I have two speaker outlets on the rear of the ampeg head. The speaker cabs have both speaker in and speaker out outlets on the rear I'm a little confused with the issue of ohms the ampeg can run on a minimum of 4 ohms. According to the manual 2 - 8 ohm cabs are equivalent to 4 ohms I surely don't want to damage the ampeg head, any suggestions? I want to add more bottom to this system I currently play a warwick thumb bass on this system. Thanks

11. asad137

asad137

Jan 18, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Physicist
    Speaker cabinets don't "kick out" any power. They handle power produced by the amplifier.

The answer is no, your 4-ohm cabinet is already at the minimum impedance. Adding another cabinet (even an 8-ohm one) in parallel will give you an impedance below 4 ohms and will be unsafe for your amplifier.
    Asad

12. RADUB1

RADUB1

May 11, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I would assume it is an internal connection. I would imagine that if the power section was damaged, your bridged output would be affected as well.

13. bassclefman

bassclefman

Apr 12, 2007
    New York City
    Thanks Asad137 I now understand the issue concerning ohmage I'll probably have to get a head that can put out lower ohmage.

14. ldervish

ldervish

May 22, 2005
    Johnson City, TN
    It could be coincidental that one pwr amp bit the dust just after using the simulator - certainly electronic components do fail. But I think you're on the right track in looking at the simulator.

IIRC the R600 is a tube pre and SS power combination?

It might be possible that the simulator is not "presenting" an 8 ohm load, and if it were low enough (i.e. less than the min specified load, which I am guessing is 4 ohms) it could cause the amp to overload the output transistors and damage them. A lot of times a good tech can figure out a chain if events in a failure, which can help locate the cause. Have you had one look at either unit yet?

Have you tried contacting Palmer's support to see if there is a way for you or your tech to test the simulator?

15. I doubt that the channel would be blown because of the speaker sim. I had something like that happen and found out that the two contacts had rotated in were shorting inside the plug, so check your speaker cables for shorts.

16. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    I thought of that, but remembered that I had already used the Palmer with my all tube 8ohm guitar head for a decent period of time without any trouble.

Still you may be right. The R600 is tube pre and solid state power. Only the one output channel seems blown. And it's definitely not the cable, though it could be the output jack itself.

Thanks for the replies.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 20, 2021