Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Okay, first post, and it is: what bass should I buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tyro, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Tyro

Tyro

Oct 4, 2002
    Asheville, NC
    This is the deal: I have always wanted to play bass, but never had the time, money, or discipline. I still don't, but I'm going to do it anyway. So I need some initial guidance: would it be better to buy an inexpensive bass, like a GSR, and get started, or wait until I can afford a better and more expensive model? And if the former, is a GSR the best choice, or is there some sleeper model out there that doesn't get the press?

I realize this is old hat to most of y'all, so there's nothing for it but just to be humble and say "please?"

2. just_a_poser

just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    If you have time or the discipline, why even get one?

Not to sound like an ass, but if you can't work it into your schedule right now, why spend the money? In the mean time, you could be putting money back in case you end up having the time.

I also wouldn't get a real nice bass to start with. Just because if you don't like it, you're out that much more money, unless you can sell it back at a decent price.

3. I suggest...
    Go to a music store and play the basses that are in your price range. What ever one feels better as you play it, most comfterable and has the better sound (to your own ears) and buy it. Might I suggest getting a small amp too.

4. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    if you can find one, i suggest! a Gretsch Electromatic "junior jet" 30" scale, with 2 pickups.................... reletively cheap and it sounds great for its price!

more vintagy

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You have no profile info filled out.

We don't know if your shopping in New York or Tasmania......get with it!!!

6. Tyro

Tyro

Oct 4, 2002
    Asheville, NC
    Sorry, Rickbass, but...I have no profile. No gear, no teachers, no influences, no history. If you want to know where I live, the answer is North Carolina, but I don't understand how that would help you: the same companies ship the same models here as they do anywhere else in the western world, and besides--there's always the internet.

As for having the time, or the discipline, I have decided that I am going to have both. The time has come. Now the gear must follow.

I appreciate any help, really.

7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Spend $300 or $400. See if you like playing. You might fall in love. If so, you can get a bass that fits the type of music you choose to persue

Rob

8. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Ignore this advice!!! No, what you should do is IMMEDIATELY buy a Sadowsky!!! That way, should you decide that you don't want to play bass, you can always come to me when you're desperate for cash! By the way, I prefer...ERRRRRR...I mean you would do well to buy a 5-string.

;) ;) ;) ;)

Seriously, though - buy something like a MIM Jazz or an Essex, like the others said.

But if you DO buy that Sadowsky....

9. Tyro

Tyro

Oct 4, 2002
    Asheville, NC
    I went out in the yard to do some work, and saw my neighbor throwing away his Sadowsky Standard 5-string in quilted maple. Said it had a scratch on the back. So I guess that problem is solved. Planet Boulder, what should I get for a second bass?

10. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    You live beside Nino?!?!?!? ;)

11. Now, THAT'S funny!!

:D :D :D

12. LOL!!!!!

13. YAMAHA RBX 170 $169.99 Behringer Ultrabass BX600 $199.99. This stuff will not only get you started, it will keep you going for a while as well. I've play the RBX 170 and for the money it is a great guitar. The neck is straight, the sound is good, and it looks great. Behringer's amps are real good for the money.

14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It tells us if you can reasonably be expected to go to music stores, and which music stores (often), to try them out.

We can give advice here all week on models, but none of it can compare to the quality of the decision you make by actually having these things in your hands and trying them out and seeing what pleases you most.

You probably have a Guitar Center within driving distance - great place to try out a lot of brands. If you lived in Kabul or Zamboanga, we'd know the only way you could try one out is to order it.

15. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Your neighbor was throwing away a $3000+ because it was scratched... where In north Carolina do you live? perhaps I could tell you a place or two you could try out

16. Tyro

Tyro

Oct 4, 2002
    Asheville, NC
    Rickbass, I don't want you to think that I'm blowing off what you say. It's all good advice, but the honest truth is in the name that I chose: Tyro. It's what I am; I know next to nothing about playing bass, except that I have loved the bass guitar ever since I was seven and Paul McCartney's Hofner was the coolest instrument on the planet (I later bought a Hofner 459, but that's another story...a LOUD one).

I have always wanted to take up the bass, but in order to do so I have to ask questions. Your advice about going to music stores and trying out different models is no doubt best...except that I wouldn't know why one model feels better. Is it because I'm doing something in ignorace that would have to be unlearned later? Asking questions like this on-line gives me the chance to pick up some advice that may stand me in good stead when I go out in front of real, live musicians and ask elementary questions.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

17. http://www.musicyo.com

look at the "tobias" line. they are nowhere near the quality of a real tobias or an mtd....

but they have tone. big funky fat tone, for cheap!!!

18. just_a_poser

just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    In that case, I suggest buying one of those cheap packs that come with like a generic bass, a small amp, a tuner, and a cable. You can find these between like 300 and 400 I think. That's what I got, a Crate one. You'll get a basic feel for the bass that way, and then decide where to go from there. I started in January, and just from gifts and stuff, I now own an Ibanez 6 string bass, an a good size Peavy Amp, and I've stuck with it. I just wouldn't want you to go out and start off with a a real nice Fender P and Fender amp or something, and decide, oh, this isn't really my thing...

But if you do, I'll be glad to take them off your hands! ;-) :-D

19. I'm with rickbass all the way. You're going to have to make a decision sometime, and it's going to have to be YOUR decision based on YOUR idea of what an "acceptable bass" would be to you. I understand the concept of asking for opinions, but the bottom line is, you're the one who's going to be playing the bass you buy. And frankly, the Sadowsky story smells funny to me.