okay guys help me?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Philip71, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Philip71

Jul 23, 2004
    I am moving up to a fiver and have narrowed it down to 3 I am choosing from and thought maybe you guys can help me out:
    1.)Spector Legend 5-String Bass with quilted maple top
    List is:899.00 Musicians Friend has it for:599.00

2.)G&L Tribute L-2500 plus 5-String Bass
    List is:855.00 Musicians Friend has it for:599.00

3.)Lakland Skyline 55-01 5-String Bass
    List:999.00 Musicians Friend has it for:699.00

I am leaning towards the spector but just would like to get input maybe from someone who has played any of these live!
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nice choices first of all. 3 solid basses. What type of tone are you looking for?
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think you're not going to go wrong with any of these basses. I'm partial to Lakland for their versatility and the bitchen-looking oval bridge.
  4. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

What about a used Lakland 55-02? If you find one in good shape, the tone is a huge improvement over the 55-01. You'd still get the quality of the Lakland neck, etc., but with better pickups, IMO.

'course there's nothing wrong with wanting a brand-new bass, knowing it hasn't been abused.

The Spector is really nice, too. I've never been a huge fan of the L-2500, but it's solid, just not the one for me.
  5. Oval bridge! Go for a Lakland! Actually, I like them all, but I like Lakland best. I second the motion for a used 55-02, if at all possible. Go try these things out if at all possible. Enjoy whatever you get!
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive decided ill vote for the Lakland. I think a used 55-02 would be best if you can find it for that price.
  7. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    All three are solid choices. I've played all 3.

The Lakland gets my first place vote. It's the most comfortable of the 3 to me.

The Spector would be tied for first with a smaller neck. I'd play one of these first before you bought. The neck is VERY round, and not that comfortable for me. It IS a first rate bass and very versatile if you find it comfortable.

The Trib is also a nice bass, and very versatile. I have heard of some electronics problems with the Tribs..mostly bad pots.

I don't think you can go wrong here, but PLEASE, find a local retailer or even a national "bass only" store. I don't buy at
    Musicians Walmart if I can help it.
  8. Szipmonk

May 11, 2004
    +1 for a good used Lakland 55-02
    A very versitile bass
  9. Im gonna be honest I really like the way the Lakland necks feel, its almost like they're flat or something...probably one of my favorite necks on a bass, and they sound great too...go with the used 55-02
  10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

Tough choice, they're all really solid and good for your $. I would probably shoot for a Lakland Skyline 55-01 if it was up to me. I like the neck profile and tone the best out of the three.

...I would probably find a different outlet than MF to procure it though.IMO.