Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Okay! I need some opinions!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 311 fan, Oct 3, 2000.

1. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    My friends gonna take up bass as an instrument. But, first he needs to get a bass. I was thinking of a package, you know, like, a bass, an amp, a cord, and so on. Any ideas. Oh yeah, it cant be to much. Hes a only a begginner with a low budget. Thanx!

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    In my experience, beggining with cheap Instruments/amps is somewhat good, but it depends on "cheapness"
    Lets see:
    Rogue does that, they couple a Bass and an Amp for abouyt $250, but how good can it be?

A good (or at least a little powerful) amp is imoortant, specially if he gets to be playing with other people. So dont let him buy a 10 Watt Amp.

Also, a good begginer bass would be a Crestwood P-Bass copy, a Squire P-Bass, or any good bass that he can find at E-bay.
    Tobias Toby Deluxe could be ca nice choice too, but I dont know if he can afford it.

3. jfsjbb

jfsjbb

Aug 29, 2000
    Your friend might be better of to buy used stuff.

Especially when you start playing you need an instrument that's not an obstacle to your technical development. I suggest trying to find a Fender P or J copy, as these basses (and so their copies) are kind of standard instruments. They are open for any musical development.

Try to get something that can be sold without losing too much if the whole thing doesn't work out properly.

Spend $500 on a package, sell it later for $250, you lose $250 for a try to learn how to play the bass. Spend $250 on a package, and you might get back nothing. Anyway, you lose $250.

However, I'm sure you have better chance of keeping on playing if you start with the better package

4. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    I started out with a rental unit. There was a minimum of 3 months to rent, and it was about $35 per month. Everything in the package was brand new. It came with a Sammick bass, gig bag, practice amp (can't remember what kind), tuner, stand, cord, strap, book and cd. After using that for 3 months, I was ready to go buy. It was a good way for me to gain a little knowledge without spending too much money right away.

5. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    Think "inexpensive" rather than "cheap." Squier P's and J's can be had for relatively little cash and have decent quality. I agree with the sentiment that too cheap an instrument can be a hinderance to learning to play. For example, if the bass is uncomfortable to play, a person is less likely to spend time playing it.

Just my two cents.

Good luck! :)

Craig

6. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Aack! There's a cop on the board!! :D

Good for you Craig! It's impressive what you and your band are doing for the kids.

7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Craig...The local police band played at my six year old son's school...and he LOVED it! Except now...he wants to be a DRUMMER!!! :eek: :D
    You guys do great work...in all phases of your job. Thanks!!!

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Okay, honestly, I know that there's nothing really wrong with Rogue, and that for what they are, they're not bad, but how funny would it be, to go into a Guitar Center, and with a straight face, say:

"Hi. I play bass in a popular cover band, and I'm looking for a new rig and PA system. I'm going to be playing outdoor to crowds of 2,000 and more, and money is absolutely no object. I need the best quality I can find. What do you have in Rogue?!"

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Fender and Ibanez make fairly decent cheap but not too cheap package deals

10. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    How much is this dude willing to spend?

My professional opinion: Look to the USED market for a bass and look to either the SLIGHTLY USED market or cheap new market for an amp. You'll end up better in the end.

Packages are okay, but a bit limited.

GOOD POINT: instruments which aren't a joy to play don't get played as much.