Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Okay -- I screwed up. Help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by IotaNet, Apr 4, 2005.

1. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

To the Group -

I replaced my pickguard today on my MIM Jazz. Replaced both the pickguard and the control plate with a one-piece wooden pickguard. Trouble is, I get no sound through my amp. :bawl:

I didn't do anything elaborate ... removed the knobs, removed the pots and jack from the control plate. Then put the pots into the appropriate holes in the new one-piece. When I plugged the cable into the jack and into the amp, I get no sound.

All of the connections look good - no loose wires, no broken solder. But no sound.

What may I have done wrong and how can I troubleshoot/fix this?

All replies are welcome.

2. IotaNet

Attached is a picture of the wiring. I didn't add/remove/change anything but I did notice that one of the leads from the jack has nothing connected to it.

One of the leads from one of the pots has no connection either.

Is this right?

[​IMG]

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Nope, not right, and from the looks of it, I think, you're missing the groundwire.

Ray

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

The pot doesn't need anything connected to that lug, but the output jack could use a ground connection for sure. :cool:

Just run a wire from the jack's ground lug to the tone pot's case, and tell us what you get. Since you had a metal control plate before (right?), ground was previously being made by the plate itself, and the pot bodies.

5. IotaNet

Yes, the control plate was metal.

I connected the wire as you suggested -- the static went away but I still get no tone when I pluck a sting.

Any ideas?

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Since it's not active you really don't run much harm of hurting things... so just take the ground from the jack and well, ground it somewhere (on the pots where the black wires go or to the bridge etc.). Then see if anything happens. If not, get back to us.

Ray

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

DOH, sorry! You need to connect the other two pot bodies to the one you ran the ground wire to. Their grounds were being made by the metal plate as well.

8. Make sure all of the pots are grounded, that may be the problem. If one wire from each pu is soldered to the pot housing, then they must be grounded to the jack, as you did the tone pot.

John

9. IotaNet

Grounded all three pots to the jack ... problem solved!

Thanks for all of the advice -- TB ROCKS!!!