1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OKAY, I'M OFFICIALLY IMPRESSED!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JKT, Sep 10, 2008.

1. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    Been having a very minor problem with my Shuttle 6.0

It's not just urban legend folks. After taking all kinds of time patiently helping me out and explaining everything, fixing my problem, the "service tech" says for me to call anytme I have a question, that he is happy to talk to me, and then indentifies himself as Jeff Genzler.

Let me just say that I don't know if this amp has any shortcoming or faults with relation to my personal application. So far, it is perfect and kicking some serious butt. But even if it did, I would keep it based on the kind of service I just received.

I could not be happier right now :hyper:

JKT

2. There sure seems to be post after post about the great Genz service. That's cool.

However, my definition of great service is service that you rarely if ever have to use. It's more impressive to me to have no mentions of service and support (or very few) associated with a brand.

That being said, having a problem resolved is definitely better than having a problem not resolved.:)

3. good for you, take a picture, it will last longer:D

4. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    Another believer!!!! That is the kind of customer service EVERYONE gets at Genz Benz. Incredible, isn't it?!?!? When you think of the number of newly released amps shipped and the handful of 'issues', it's pretty well in the realm of usual and customary... except the service given to the few with issues, and they are hand-held til resolved!!!
    That's why I love being associated with these people and this unique company... plus they make a heck of a line of amps!!!!!!!!!!

5. puff father

puff father Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    That is a great endorsement for Genz stuff.

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh. I am beginning to wonder if everyone answers the phone there as "Hi, this is Jeff Genzler." :D

I found his picture online, too:

[​IMG]

Seriously, while having no service calls is best, that's just not possible. The fact that he CAN give that kind of personal service shows that he can't be too swamped with issues of broken amps.

And, I know that my Shuttle combo has exceeded my expectations gig after gig with both Bongo and EUB. But, I know GBs got my back should anything happen. What's not to love? :bassist:

7. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    thaks for the kind words guys. And you are correct- we sell thousands (in multiples) of amps. If our failure rate was above 1%, we wouldn't be able to handle the issues as we do.

8. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I want one! Especially since health issues are gonna force me to find something small and lighter. Who could go wrong with a company who gives that level of service? :hyper:

9. Gah, another Shuttle 6.0 thread, I hate these (I want one but cant afford it atm :( )

10. Same experience here -- Jeff personally handled my little insignificant issue as well. Great gear, great people. Now, if they'd just sell t-shirts so I could wad up my Ampeg shirts and toss 'em in the trash.

11. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Really when you think about it, people are paying way more for other devices like automobiles,etc and what we usually have to go through to get a problem resolved is a nightmare.
    I think they nailed it with regards to my issue, but what the coolest is, in the rare event that it isn't fixed, I know they will have another unit on the way to my door no questions asked.

JKT

12. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    That was my main motivation also and as it turns out I love the sound more than my GK and I have been a die hard GK fan for a couple decades. And the guys in my band were blown away by the sound.

JKT

13. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Shuttle 6.0 is going to be my main amp this year. I bought it because it has decent power, is light and still fits in my bass' gig bag. I have the Genz Shuttle Bag to give it a bit more protection than an unpadded pocket. We'll see how it survives the year and hopefully beyond. I'm happy with the sound. So far it's living up to expectations. Since expectations were high, that's actually a compliment.

I'm planning on swapping out the tube. Any recommendations? I want it to be hi-fi. I'm so used to pure solid state that I don't really want the tube there at all. When I want tube, I want all tube (my Traynor Mark II). With solid state, I really want solid state. I suppose I'm weird that way.

KO

14. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    There was a thread awhile back on some folks swapping tubes in the 6.0. There was differing viewpoints on sound and the effectiveness of it.

For myself, I am still exploring the tonal possibilities that seem to be available between the preamp section and the EQ.
    Not having exhausted all that yet, I'm not in a big hurry to mess around with what appears to be a great design.
    For the first time in a long time I find myself stepping out of the box in terms of of my EQ-ing. Unfortunately, my band has been on a little hiatus and I have only done 1 gig with it since I got it. It will be interesting for sure.

JKT

15. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Typically manufacturers put a cheap tube in tube products. It has nothing to do with the design. I can't recall a single recent tube based product that had nice tubes in it from the outset. Cheap Chinese stuff seems pretty common. This is par for the course.

I'm looking at Tesla JJ's at Triode Electronics. I've had decent enough experience with them in the past. My Traynor could use new preamp tubes and my Fender Pro Jr. has some microphonics going on, so I'll probably order all of the them at once.

I'll look for the thread. Thanks for the reply!

KO

16. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    May I please clarify your generalization and misconception.

The Shuttle tube is a Ruby 12AX7A, we also use Sovetek and JJ's depending on the product and application. Hardly cheap tubes by any stretch of the imagination.

Many other manufacturers use high quality tubes as well.

There are good and bad Chinese tubes, and the good Chinese product is not cheap either.

17. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I will happily accept the correction. It was not my intention to drag Genz Benz down in any way. I'm pretty happy with the Shuttle 6.0 and I'm seriously considering getting one (possibly two) of your cabs. If I thought ill of your company or its products in any way I would be selling the Shuttle and not considering your cabs. Instead, I am a recently converted fan of your company and products and I have a great deal of respect for your engineering skills.

I sent an e-mail looking for a Shuttle Bag and Jeff Genzler replied on a Saturday or Sunday (within 24 hours). I was happily surprised. All that and great customer service, too!

Let's just say that Ruby doesn't spring to my mind when I think of a great current production tube and I'll grant you that it's very far from the worst/cheapest tube one can buy. My Shuttle is fine as it is, but I'd like to see if a tube change will make it a bit better.

KO

18. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Correct me if I'm wrong and I can't remember where the heck I heard or read this, but are not all or most tubes made in either Russia or China? I was/am under the impression that custom tube "companies" merely sort, grade and match tubes.

Am I right on this or not?

JKT

19. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Agreed.

When you discover that brand, please let us know.....

;)

20. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    To the best of my knowledge you're correct.

KO