Okay, My Family Photos

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bovinehost, Aug 27, 2005.

1. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I don't think I've ever STARTED a thread at TalkBass! I may be wrong, but I think that's true. So now I have, and it's all to show off
    my basses! Hey, everyone does it eventually.

L-R: Lakland Skyline Jerry Scheff 5, 2H Bongo 4, 2H Bongo 5 (sapphire black), 2H Bongo 5 (envy green, soon to go travelin'), Fender
    Mike Dirnt P, Reverend Rumblefish 5L, Fender 62 RI Jazz, Stingray 5 (Heinz).

The flash killed the Mike Dirnt P but I was havin' a martini and didn't feel like doing it all over again.
  2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I like the way you think, Jack. Although, I don't think I ever heard the story about how you ended up with a Mike Dirnt PBass. That's one of the few 4 string basses that I am interested in--the chubby neck doesn't make my hand miss a 5 string neck.

Oh, and this is the 15th thread you've started at Talkbass. :D

I would be very happy with your collection, provided I could yank some of their teeth out. :eek:

Where is the Envy Green goin'? And, what manner of 2 pickup Stingray 5 is going to replace it?

So, are any of them not wearing TI flats? If so, what's on 'em?
  3. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    I said I could be wrong - and I usually am. I suppose I could have checked, but I knew you'd be along shortly.

The Dirnt P? I walked into Guitar Center to buy a music stand and walked out with the bass. They had three of them so I had some options, and that was the best of 'em. I'm still, after two months or so, not quite sure it's "me", though. I try to give it a fair shot and it's a good P bass, it really is - but it's a P bass and it's been a long time since we've had a relationship.

Ray came over and got all slobbery over it, but then he really likes P basses. Should it stay or should it go? I dunno yet.

The Envy Green is off to Sweden! Strummer dropped me an email asking about it, and with the black Bongo 5er around, I just wasn't getting any time on the green one - and it's nearly a pound lighter than the black one! So instead of hording Bongo HH Fivers, I thought - ah, why not. I don't know what comes next - probably a Stingray 4 since I don't have one anymore.

I'm still undecided on that question....new dual pickup versions are due in November, but that's a long time for me!

Just about everything has TI Flats. The Bongo 4 has Labella Deep Talking Flats. I think that's the only anomaly.
  4. Nice basses, but I have to ask.....Why do you have 3 Bongos? (thats what they're called, right?) I see one is 4-string and the other 2 are 5, but why so many? I will never own more then one of a certain kind of bass.
  5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Why spoil a recent trend? ;)

I had the same experience with my ridiculous Yamaha. I played it, and then bought it without any real need for it. It just had such a perfect 4 string neck that I couldn't leave it in the store for some other Yahoo to pickup for a great price.

So, you'll be back down to the original two Bongos. Is the DG 4 string safe, or has no one simply sent you an email about it yet? :D

I had a feeling the envy green Bongo's days were numbered. I don't think i've ever heard a tale of it going out for a gig, but I've seen plenty of the black Bongo. I imagine your SB Bongo is like mine since they are both on the heavy side, and are sequential in serial number, so I don't have a hard time believing it wins a head-to-head fight.

I'm GASing pretty hard for a 2 pickup Stingray, but I like the Bongo neck more, so I'm hoping I can hold out until I get my hands on one to kill the GAS. I still need to get that single H Bongo, after all....
  6. where do you live? WHich room has all your basses and equipment?
    Do you have an alarm system? If so... what is the password? Thank you for your help.

BTW.... I hate you! yet... I love you at the same time. maybe... uuu I can come over to your house and uuh, you know, hang out, talk about sports, music. womem... play a bas or 3... or 5 or 7. It'll be fun!
  7. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    That's down from a high of five, actually, heh heh:

So I have 3 Bongos because I sold/traded 2. Actually, I wouldn't mind having 5 again, but I'd try to mix up the pickup configurations better. (Yes, I had 5 Bongos BEFORE I started selling them.) I am one of the crazy people who thinks that Bongos are just about the best production basses ever. I like my other basses, mind you, especially the Scheff 5, but when it's time to head out the door to the gig, I grab a Bongo.

It's safe. (That's the one I dropped and bent the knob.)
  8. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Holy basses, Batman!

Want to give me one? I wouldn't pass up any of them!
  9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I wish Heinz still had the maple board....cool collection though! Trans green Stingray fives (with matching headstocks and white pickup covers and pickguards) are the prettiest production basses ever, IMO.
  10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine

You should have never got rid of the lava swirl Rev tho;)

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

That green finish is beautiful.
  12. strummer

Jul 27, 2005
  13. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    I know. I know, I know, I know. I was WEAK. (And slutty.)

Yeah, THANKS, buddy, like I'm not already torn!
  14. Possu jam

Possu jam

May 16, 2004
    That´s such a good looking collection man! Even though I think you´d need more of those Jazzes ;)
  15. Hey Possu Jam! its me PowerSlave from JMF!
  16. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Bryan, you are part of a very small group, you know that? "Fans of Trans-Green" - not a lot of us out there.

Heinz looked good with maple and was the only maple FB bass I considered a keeper, as I'm mainly a rosewood guy (obviously), but I think the stupid thing plays even better than before.

Strummer-san, I am working on the details; probably be Tuesday or so and then we're set. You have to promise to take photos of Ed amongst the Swedes, okay?

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    My first custom ordered bass was "Translucent Emerald Green" :bassist:

Great color for a bass.... mine was unmarked ebony fretboard with gold hardware.
  18. strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    But of course I will :) When Ed gets here the family will finally have the father they've been lacking. Gertrude (DG EBMM Bongo 5 HH), the B20-kids and the country cousin all await his arrival. Not too sure Mr Tele, Dr Sloop-shoulders and Nippon XII will be too happy, but then who cares what guitars think?
  19. Awesome collection, Jack. I love the Jerry Scheff, and the Reverend, of course. Plus, a Fender J and P, and the Bongos.. you've got it all covered! :cool:
  20. Very nice Jack.

Whenever Im down your way, Im gonna invite myself over. :D