Okay, My Skjold freaked me out!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flipper, Feb 3, 2006.

1. I've had this Skjold Design fretless 5 for a few months now. Last night I had an audition and had the first real opportunity to crank it. Also this was the first time I was able to AB against my Ken Smith. Bear in mind the SD has passive electronics. The Skjold flat smoked the Smith. I just couldn't believe it. The only knobs between the two basses that have any similarity are the volume knobs. The Smith has always sounded great to me and I've always felt like I had pretty good tonal control right from the instrument.....until last night. The tone knob (1) does more in a 10th of a turn than any of the Smiths' pots at full tilt. Its also considerably louder with the same amp settings.

The action I actually had Pete raise just a hair. I never thought I'd say that in a million years. The low action and thin neck offer a playability that I've never experienced in 23 years. I'd put the weight at 7 lbs. That's about 30% lighter than a freakin' Les Paul!

I opened the case in front of the other guys and it was like when Jon Travolta opened the briefcase in Pulp Fiction. Really beautiful. Black Limba Body, 3 piece maple neck with a Bloodwood fretboard, Bloodwood pickup cover and knobs. All hardware is Hipshot.

Pete is really starting to make a name for himself. Here's the reason why: HE MAKES THE BEST BASSES, period. Whenever you call, Pete answers the phone. If you ever have a problem, however unlikely, Pete takes care of you promptly. Bang for the buck? I could've spent more on a Fender or the like. Pete's basses are hand made, cut out on jigs, not on computers.

I want another one.

You need one.

I told Pete he needed to change the logo on his new straps. His last name, Skjold, sounds like shold. So I told him he neede to name his bass strap the Skjolder Strap. He didn't think anybody would get but pretty funny none the less. So do you guys think anyone would get it?

Attached Files:

2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    congrats on the Skjold! It looks killer.
  3. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    One of my favorite basses Pete has put out. There are some better pics of it up on his website under Stage Series if your interested. Glad to see more Skjold players on the boards here. I always tell people, play one, you'll be sold, period, even if you thought they were hideous (which I dont see how you could hehe).

BTW I took that picture :)
  4. Thanks Juneau, I went and changed the pics to those on Pete's site. Way better.
  5. BTW, I was thinking of trying out some of those DR coated stings in black. Any experience with those? I bet they'd look pretty cool.
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Here's a visual for you:

Congrats on your Skjold! They are fantastic.

7. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    Tom, your bass is pretty, but your carpet is killing my eyes.
  8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You are not alone, Jean. :p

But after a while, its hypnotic qualities take over and you begin convincing yourself that soon it will come back into style! :D
  9. Those basses seem very nice, but I can't get with the body shape. It doesn't flow enough for me. I'm not usually a guy who worries about aesthetics either (I mean my Warrior is teal for god's sake!), but I just can't do the shape.
  10. There's no possible way Tom can afford new carpet with all the gear he has. Not to mention, to put new carpet down he would have to rent out a gymnasium to move his equipment to just to get it out of the way.
  11. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    interesting bodies on those, kind of like a warrior on the bottom...
    love the bloodwood fingerboard, seen alot of that and pink ivorywood lately.
    what are the tonal/feel characteristics of the fb?
    is is finished/sealed?
    also wondering which model smith you compared it to, being a
    smith freak;)
  12. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    Hrmm... i kind of want one.
  13. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.

It feels...hard hehe. Tonally, think Ebony, but without the "snap" or "zing" to it. It has just a little less high end, which I dig a lot on a fretless. Its sealed and polished with a wax/oil I believe (some special mix of Pete's), but not finished.
  14. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    To answer your question, I would buy a Skjolder Strap!!!
  15. OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Skjolder Strap. That's awesome.

+10 pt. for you, dude.
  16. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Tom, if you ever get rid of that carpet, look me up.
  17. See there Pete, I told ya they'd get it...And Tom, like wow....carpet....wow....

That bloodwood is harder than ebony I think.
  18. My KS is a '91 Burner 5. I loved it so much (and still do ) that the Skjold is my first new bass since.

When I went to pick out wood at Pete's, we took raw board stock (this was for fretboard) of ebony and bloodwood, all equal size, and banged them on the concrete floor. After half an hour of this I noticed a difference. The ebony made a pong, pong, pong sound whereas the bloodwood made a ping, ping, ping sound. The result was reeaaaalllllly bright, clear, punchy...

He's got a few different body styles. They all hang perfectly on a strap. Pete is a really hot fretless player. He is also a master of ergonomics. The bodies ARE different. But form follows function. When one of these basses wraps itself around you its an inspiration. Makes you feel like you could cut heads with Victor Wooten. No offence intended to any bass gods, but if you ever get to pick one up, you'll see.

Because his operation is custom, unless you buy an existing instrument, you have all the choices in the world. There are certain model specific guidelines but Pete will bend those if you get your heart set on a certain combination. All for reasonable $.
  19. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    thanks for the info on the woods, interesting stuff,
    like the idea of a little darker hi-end on a fretless...
    as far as the smith thing, i can see a burner series getting "burned"
    pretty easily...those were made overseas(japan) as an inexpensive smith design...ken pulled the plug on 'em...
    not the real thing;)
  20. Yeah your right about that. I guess I should have qualified that earlier. Ken makes good stuff. Still, a pretty nice bass that has served me well for years and still is. My next fretted will be a Skjold Design.