1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Okay, Seriously, Whats wrong with...........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Apr 5, 2006.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    1) Ampeg SVT 3 Pros? Bashed all to hell on this board

2) 15" cabinets? I played a 1x15 cab yesterday and it sounded frikken AWESOME!!! Seems everybody loves 10" ers laterly, and this 1x15 cab, although obviously not as loud, made my Schroeder sound downright muddy.....

2. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    15 + 10's = heaven

3. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    can't speak for the 3pro's, but i sure do love 15's! my mesa 2x15 and the 5x8 i use for a little more full range have helped me acheive "my sound"; something i was never able to find with 10's!

4. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I played a 3 pro into a swr goliath III 410 with an ibanez edb series bass, dont remeber exactly which one.

And it sounded fantastic, enough volume for average gigs Imo. But if you needed some serious firepower I think you would need a little more than the 450 watts it gives out.

Useable EQ, kind of dark sounding? but still capable of getting some midrange bight.

Overall I would rate the 3 pro a 8/10 only because of its' steep price tag, and could have a little bit more head room.

But I would recommend it, but with all these other heads out, (groove bass, peavey max 700 (firebass), 1001RB-II) theres just more bang for your buck with them.

Nevertheless if ampeg is your thing I would highly recommend it as a "first rig" head.

-Rob

5. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I can't comment on 15s, but I have no complaints about my svt-3!

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The 3-Pro is lacking in headroom in my experiences. However, I don't think people dislike 15s on this board. For me, it really depends on which cab specifically you are talking about, but my EV 215 is awesome, both for bass and guit@r, and I love Bag End 15s.

7. seakamp

seakamp Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago

+1 all round on the 3PRO

Its a great sounding amp but for the power and the pricetag I think there are many more choices that would suit my needs. I don't own one anymore for that reason.

8. hell yeah!

9. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    The 15". You heard it, you liked it, it's good!

(the only caveat - how is it in the audience?)

Fashions come and go - you follow a bass (or any) forum long enough and all products enjoy their 15 minutes of fame.

Personally, I fell into the 410 trap and ended up hating it but we are all somehow persuaded as the bass crowd's whispers turn into a roar. The bass playing community has been on a 10" spree - 'faster', 'deeper' etc. for quite some time but....ah ha.....now we are told that the 12" is the way to go as it has more 'body', 'depth' etc. What are you to believe?

How many times on TB and elsewhere have I heard something such as..."I saw a guy with an SX, Peavey and a 1x18" and it was awesome". Somehow, we then have to scratch our heads and say "how so....this cannot be, with a 'Sadland' and '410 Epigroove' we may make glorious noise but with plebian gear this is surely not within the realms of possibility?"

We all visit TB for different reasons but for many of us (deny it as we will!), this is a way to find out the latest and greatest (and maybe to avoid practice!); we want to be told what to buy. Take a look at any of the huge threads - Schroeder etc and this week Markbass. They are so much better/lighter/cheaper than Eden, Epifani, Aguilar. But give it a week or so and the doubters arrive - "I sold mine because......". What are we mere mortals to think?

The truth of the matter is that bass is a very tiny market in the graeat scheme of things and we need 'stuff' to discuss so a new bass/amp/speaker etc is big news. If it comes from somewhere far away (in Europe NB not Asia right now), we clamour for specs. If it is hard to find, so much the better - the mystique is alive.

There is a group of gearheads here who influence the market (us) to quite an extent. Once they speak, all others are silenced. A simple player has a Peavey/Hartke/Bla that s/he is quite happy with and then is told that it is not the absolute apex; Brand "X" is just so amazing and head and shoulders above anything else. We aspire to "X" and strive to emulate our "low end" peers, however mature, wise and educated we once considered ourselves. Just as we purchase "X", the wheel turns once more and "X" is deemed a little less than 'the bee's knees' and we are left once again chasing the rainbow.

Trust yourself - that 15" sounded damn good, right? Borrow one, give another a try at the store.

I think you are ahead of the curve.....the 15" is the next one up and you have beaten them all to it - well done!

There will be a torrent of statistical bollocks to tell us why we should not like it but as has been said before..."trust your ears".

10. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I think SVT 3's have a pretty good track record here...

I love my 1x15, it rocks. Coupled with my 4x10, together they will split the earth.
    If I have a gig where I need only 1 cabinet, I will bring the 1x15.

11. 10's and 15's mixed are perfect

but this is why man invented 12"s

12. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    MMM I think cab design and type of drivers used (other than size like brand and specs) have just as much effect on sound than just driver size alone.

13. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I agree to this...

But I do believe discussion about less common gear has made known great gear that may never have gotten any notice.

14. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    +1

15. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    i love my 15" cab. it sits great below my 2x10. I believe im replacing the 2x10 with a 2x12 tho. and then why not use 18's below that :)

16. i've been wondering as well what to go about doing with things....as far as ampeg goes I hate them....the 100r combo sucked for me, and so did the 220 watt combo with the 15, So i'm planning on getting a yorkville xs800h soon (i know, it seems like every time i talk about it i'm only "planning").

I don't know what's wrong with 15s....one concert i heard a bassist with a six string and a hartke 2x15 and it sounded like ass (then again, his sound isn't my cup either)....farting all over the place, riding the low B like a horse.......however all I've ever played through were 15s...2 peaveys, a tko65, and a tnt130 (i favor the 130 over the tko for an obvious better preamp).....tried playing through 10s (tried an ampeg combo) and i didn't like being "hit in the face" with sound, now i'm looking into a 2x12 (more power...) ....i've played swr and Gallien krueger as far as 1x12 combos and they both sound boxy (partially because of my squire as opposed to my fender), and i'm wondering if this is the nature of the sound of 12s in general

17. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    my 15 cabinet used to be a hartke 115XL. I replaced the 15 with a real driver from eminence, the Delta 15. I never fart anymore.

Seriously, hartke 15's do fart. they bottom out, they breakup. I even had a dent in mine from the breaking up of the cone, and i had never popped the grill off ever.

Just out of curiosity, if you keep trying amp after amp after amp, did you ever think that something else may be the problem, like your bass? Whats the use in using a wonderful amp if your bass doesnt make the sound you want in the first place.

An amp is only for monitoring yourself, and for providing a tone that allows your bass with your fingers to shine through on stage/in the room. If your bass isnt working for you, your amp will be amplifying a not so ideal tone, and you will be stuck sounding like "crap" in your mind.

18. Very good post!! I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said. I get a lot of PM's and email from predominantly younger players or less tech savvy old salts that gave it up for awhile and now have the bucks to get back in and play for fun and I try to reiterate that you DON'T have to have the latest greates thing out there to sound good and have a good time. I make a lot of money (to me) in this business and I have for a long time and so it is very easy for me to go out and buy pretty much anything because I can deduct it from my taxes and typically it works out that I am only really paying around 65 cents on the dollar because of my tax situation. I have also bought and sold a lot of stuff over the years and I feel that my experience can HOPEFULLY actually save someone money in the long run by eliminating things that are OK but not as good as it could or should be.

Now that is not saying that the PRICE of something determines its worth!! I bought a Cafe Walter Headphone amp a couple of years ago and I won't be without one now!! I only paid like $125 for it (which is a lot for a headphone amp!!!) BUT...there are so many things out there that cost $50-100 that are nowhere near as good and for very little difference you can gt something that is built like a tank (all metal versus all or mostly plastic) and can be dragged all over the world and beat up and banged up and keep on working. I had a Schult Bassman that was really good to me at the time but I bought 4 or 5 of them :eek: before I realized that it just would not hold up to the life I was living at the time....

My point is simply that I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars over a period of years and I have learned a VERY important and expensive lesson. You should buy based on your commitment to what you are doing. If you are in the game for the long haul, spend the difference and buy something that will last you longer than a few months at a time. Also you should be realistic about your situation. I make my LIVING playing, recording, and mixing music, therefore I consider the gear that I have to be the tools of my trade just as my brother-in-law is a diesel mechanic and has to buy the tools of his trade.

He has this one (of several) automotive computer for running diagnostics on semis that cost over $50,000!!!!! His tool set and storage rollers that he bought right out of diesel school was over $18,000 (I know this because I bought them for him as a loan!) He is very dedicated to his craft and has been working on cars and especially diesel engines since he was in high school. His labor rate is $85/Hr and he has a guaranteed contract with CAT Diesel and he can work as many hours as he wants and bill them for those hours and they will pay it!! I think you get my point...

I don't base my equipment choices on price, but on quality and service. I have found however, that you ALWAYS get what you pay for. REGARDLESS of what anyone may tell you......My advice to the people who PM is always the same.....you don't NEED a Sadowsky to be a bass player, you need the drive and determination to keep practicing when you don't feel like you can. What I get from my Sadowskys (and most owners wil tell you the same thing) is a superbly crafted instrument that makes me WANT to play! I never fell like I HAVE to play, I WANT to play because I get a lot of pleasure from playing something that inspires me so much.

I don't want this to turn into a product advertisement for anyone!! In fact, I am hoping that it has the opposite effect!!! I am simply saying that the gear that I have inspires me to want to pick up the bass and play! The tone that I hear coming from that speaker DRIVES me to keep playing! You also don't NEED an Aguilar or a Thunderfunk or any SPECIFIC brand of amp or cabinet to be succesful. I think I sound like me no matter what rig I play through. Give me a great rig and I'll give you 110%, give me the cheapest, crappiest, beatup, and on fire rig and I will still give you 110% and figure out a way to make sound like me! AND you won't HEAR me bit^&% about it (though I probably am on the inside!) LOL!

Lets be honest here, I guarantee you that if you pick up any 5 basses from the bottom of the ladder and walk into a recording studio anywhere on this planet, the engineer will be thinking OH GOD why me?? A good one will not let you know it, but they are! I know because I have been making records for almost 25 years now and I know what happens to me and everybody else I know! If you walk in the same studio with a Sadowsky or any number of solid great sounding instruments there is an instant sigh of relief and you can bet that the guy behind the glass KNOWS that you are serious and you probably are going to get a great sound with little effort. THAT is what people pay me for!! There is a comfort level that is immediate when oyu see that......it affects the whole session. I still say that doesn't mean go out and buy a Sadowsky!!!!!! BUT, it does mean that you should be seroius enough about your craft that you are a competent player and know your stuff and you are well equipped to walk in and get the job done!!

Don't do things to shoot yourself in the foot. Don't get in debt to have the latest greatest thing just because somebody you have never met says that it works for them!! In my opinion, there are differences in 10's, 12's, 15's, 18's, and yes, even larger sized speakers. The better the design, the smaller the difference. I have never been a huge fan of 15's primarily because of what I call "age bias". I am an old fart in this game and most of the cabs with 15's (NOT all) that were out when I was younger were poor (at best) designs using a speaker technology that was not developed for a bass enclosure to begin with.

Now, things are much different. I was blown away by the NV215 that Bergantino put out (I am sad to see it go) and thought that it was a revelation as to what a 15" cab is SUPPOSED to be. I would gig that cab in a minute because it sounds really good. I know a guy who is a really good bass player BUT he can't get a gig because he uses a SWR Workingmans 210 on top of a Peavey 15" PA sub and it sounds deplorable. He drives this with an SWR 900 and has the bass boost dimed and clipping the whole time he is playing. I saw this guy and thought that if I brought in one of my rigs and let him play it he would get the gig he was trying to get. He reluctantly agrees to let me set up the rig for him BUT sets his up to "just in case".

Plugs in his rig woooooofofofofofofoooo, no tone, no definiton AND the 15" is giving up the ghost and farting pretty fiercely on the Low B of the guy's Cirrus, Man that sounds like s#&* says the bands manager. Quickly I say you may have a bad cable or something why don't you try mine? Thunderfunk TFB550 into an Acugroove El Whappo......:D To me, one of the best sounding hifi rigs out there.....plugs in and plays and the rest of the band is diggin it.....BUT the bass player H A T E D it! He actually wanted to use his rig after the 2nd song and the manager would not let him.....Instead of sucking it up and playing the gig (it was a pickup gig for another band I know) He got an attitude and (deliberately I think) played the worst I have ever heard him play...Guess what? The manager came over as soon as the first (of four) set was over and handed him a $100 bill and asked him if he needed any help loading his gear and I played the other 3 sets.....:eek:

Now I am NOT slamming the 15 BUT I am saying that it was not the ideal 15 for him to be using and it cost him the gig. Bottom line, is it doesn't really matter anymore whether you are playing 8's or 18's, as long as it sounds good and it sounds good to the guy or gal signing your check who cares???? Play what you want sensibly and do it well and the rest will take care of itself!!!

Peace,

T

19. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Getting it done for me these days...

- georgestrings

20. I never noticed a bunch of svt 3 bashing. At least not much more than any other piece of gear. With a pricetag of $375 for a like-new amp, I've been nothing but pleased with it. Though I still am upset that a trade deal fell through for a Genz Benz GBE600:crying: