1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Okay, so, don't laugh at me......

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Noseferatu, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    So, I am buying a Gene Simmons Axe Bass. However, it comes with Mighty Mite pickups and I want to put in a set of EMGs. They are PJs. My only question is how I would wire the pickups because there is a master volume, a tone, and a toggle switch. EMGs come with the pots pre-wired...sooo........

Attached Files:

2. Stock EMG PJ set is VVT. Once the original electronics are removed, the bass will have 3 holes. Lose the toggle and put in the 3 knobs.

3. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I'm trying... I really am. But it's HARD - the laughter... I... can't... stop... IT!!!

Okay, that said: EMGs require a battery. They also usually come with a wiring diagram for you to follow. I'd suggest you forget the EMGs and get a set of Duncan quarter pounds. They sound *great* in a PJ set up - very rock & roll.

Then again, if you haven't played the bass yet, you might like what's in there. Why waste money when you don't need to?

4. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    Because I very much like EMGs. I dont get it though, the more expensive Axe bass, along with other basses, have EMGs with a volume, tone, and toggle and it doesnt seem to be any problem. Isnt there ANY way to get around this??

5. 4365822719_b461b36989_o.

6. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    That helps!

7. PJRL

PJRL

Mar 27, 2010
    greenfield center NY
    So..Is Gene's Bass sound Kind of P J ?? (I don't mean peanut butter and Jelly)

8. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    Yep, it's a PJ variant.

9. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    The emgs would be great choice for it imo. Just follow the wiring diagrams that come with. They will in all likelyhood include the pots, output jack and battery clip in the package.

10. Did you read the original post?

The EMGs come with a prewired VVT setup, but the OP has a VT3 setup.

Honestly, I don't see what the problem is either way.
    The wiring will stay the same as the bass was to begin with. You would just be replacing the current pots with lower value pots, because the EMGs have a lower impedance output.

As far as the battery, the positive terminal of the battery goes to the red wires on the pickups, and then the negative terminal of the battery goes to the ring terminal of the output jack.

11. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    Here's a cool demo of the bass I' talking about. Looks and sounds sweet.

12. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    So basically, I would just keep the knobs all connected except for the one, and then just solder them all to the selector??

I hate to sound like a noob, but when it comes to replacing pickups, I am. I've only ever done any type of soldering once.

13. All you are doing is replacing the pots, nothing special.

Unsolder the prewired harness that comes with the EMGs, then take note of how the bass is currently wired and swap the stock pots out for the EMG pots.

14. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    Looks cool but whats up with the bridge "jazz" cover. Seems a bit out of place :eyebrow:

15. Agreed.

But to be fair, I've always thought bridge/pickup covers were hideous beyond what words can describe.
    :bag:

Get that thing off! Trash it! Melt it down and damn the metal to hell!:scowl:

16. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Hermitage, PA

That's actually P cover but I think it compliments it quite nicely. Plus, if you're a pick player, it's nice to anchor/rest your hand on. :D

17. Noseferatu

Noseferatu

Feb 12, 2010
    Hermitage, PA
    Ok, that's simple.

Thanks!

18. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    The EMG kits are real simple to install. Comes with wiring diagrams, and most of the soldering work is already done. So if the EMG's are your thing, it should be an easy mod..... You should be ready to chop some wood with that thing in no time.......

19. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    Ok but what is it doing on this bass. Maybe a bleeding skull or something lol ;)

20. Yep.

I've only ever seen bridge covers like that on vintage styled P basses.

This bass clearly does not project a vintage/traditional vibe, and it's not a Fender.