Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Okay, so how many of you are going to buy the new Beatles box set

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Against Will, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Capitol is releasing the first 3 (4? I forget) Beatles albums in a box set. The songs have been remastered and they're releasing both mono and stereo version of all the songs. Okay, so now the old Beatles songs sound much nicer, and if you're particularly nostalgic for the mono mixed lp versions. But, when I first saw it, my first reaction was to roll my eyes and groan. "ANOTHER ****ING BEATLES ALBUM???"

Yes yes, it will sell, and the Beatles are the most sucessful and accessible pop group in history. But is it ever possible they could suffer from overexposure? The constant releases, reissues etc. it feels so escapist; another oppurunity for crotchety music fans to say "The Beatles were amazing! The 60's were great! Music now sucks!" and this attitude is very irritating to me. The Beatles were very good, granted, but they are NOT the final statement of rock and roll....much less music in general.

So how many people are going to get this?

P.S: The band was not very compliant with this collection's release. It's Capitol's idea, not Paul Mcartney and Ringo and the estates of Harrison & Lennon being greedy.

2. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    I won't be buying it...

you asked! :p

3. I have everything Beatles I need.

I'm just glad zack01 didn't start this thread.

4. Stuff like this is really for the die hard fans and collectors.

I don't think I'm going to get it, mostly because I enjoy the later stuff so much more. For each record, it'll be two records- stereo and mono- two entirely seperate mixes. (not just one song in stereo and one in mono) Factor in all the added reverb and little differences and there'll be all the fanatics picking it up, just to have, on CD, all the "versions" of songs commercially available. The casual fan could probably care less about this, just as the casual fan never listened past 1 minute on the Fly On The Wall on Let It Be... Naked. Since like 1987, the younger (<30) Beatles fans only know the British albums, because that's what's been available on CD.

I want to find the version of "If I Fell" where McCartney's voice goes out "was in vai...ack"

5. If you're an American of a certain age and you've absolutely got to have the (Capitol) Beatles albums you grew up with presented not just once in mono but then again in their ersatz stereo mix, then this box set is definitely for you.

I'm quite happy with the mono versions and the Parlophone versions opf the albums, so I think I'm gonna give this one a miss.

As for any danger of the Beatles being overexposed, that ship sailed a long, long time ago-- I don't think it's possible any more.

6. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Didn't they just release all the stuff remastered last year?

7. gojirin

gojirin

Oct 11, 2004
    Denver,CO
    The Beatles on cd have been a bust. I would love to have the American versions, but the lps were compressed badly to begin with and who knows what horrors the "remastering" has done.
    Sigh..
    It's sad....

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I sorta grew up with the "American" versions...when I bought the cds in the late '80s, I(finally) discovered the UK versions are much, much better.

Nevertheless, I am a completist kinda yutz & Michael Jackson couuld use the cash, so...

9. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio

:D :D :D

10. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    They had me at Mono.

11. I have most of the beatle albums on vinyl, and the others on cd, so ....Im good.

12. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I have Abby Road and a best of CD. That is all I need all my favorites are there,Day Tripper etc etc,have a best of Macca
    CD also.I'm set.

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    NV-
    You really need to pick up Revolver.