1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Okay so now that Doug has rested after releasing the Alpha Omega ;) What's coming up for Darkglass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BrentSimons, Apr 13, 2017.

1. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    There we go, a Duality Deluxe.
    Like the B7K or VMTD.

[​IMG]

Andy westwood likes this.
  2. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    An envelope filter!

Doug's going to step out of his comfort zone and totally surprise us!

(I can dream, can't I?)

Ikkir, dharmashawn, Matt Dean and 2 others like this.
  3. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    Editing myself for better name idea:

Vintage Funk-o-tubes.

Vintage Stankrotubes.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    FilterFunk likes this.
  4. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Alpha Alpha | Omega Omega.
    Basically 2 A|O's because I'm having a damn hard time deciding what side to be on.

5. Do you find the Alpha side can get as clanky as the B#K in the top end? I know it sounds rounder and more organic, but I wonder if that's just the midrange. If so, that's great. I liked some of the lower-gain clank tones from NAMM a lot. Grunty and clanky. Kinda like my favorite combined traits of the Tech21 Oxford(midrange grunt) and the B3K(clank).

6. NoxNoctus

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    It can clank a real good bit, especially with the bite switch engaged, but I don't think it'll quite get into B7K Clank territory. The grind overwhelms the clank after a certain amount of drive and then really begins to differentiate from the B7K. I'll be grabbing my board at practice on Wednesday so if someone doesn't beat me to it, I can do a #MediocreBassist Demo comparison

Murph_Orpheus and FaithNoMan like this.
  7. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    I like the sound of (A·O)²

8. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Stankrotubes - love it!:thumbsup:

There would be a lot of pressure to live up to a name like that, though!

BrentSimons likes this.
  9. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Expression pedal control of the A|O blend?

Two A|O foot switches for running them independently. Also a switch for running both in series or parallel.

10. NoxNoctus

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Yeah, depending if, when, etc., I'd be giving serious thought to just getting a second one. I experimented with rolling from one side of the mod to another, the amount of gain is a bit much, I have to level adjust a little as well. I could see the AO Ultra working really well with a mod and blend on both sides so you essentially get two presets. One pedal with Alpha at 10:00, one pedal with Omega at 3:00 with the Growl and Bite engaged.

11. By far my favorite clanky clip of it yet(below).
    I think the closest I got to that tone was with my B3K going into a distorted guitar amp/cab in Guitar Rig 3:
    Playing: 3chordcrunch.mp3 - picosong
    soloed bass: Playing: 3chordcrunchbass.mp3 - picosong

And yes, a demo would be great.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  12. Jamieeeee

Jamieeeee

Nov 28, 2016
    Denmark
    I would love to see a new Fuzz offering from Darkglass. I have the fuzzes that I like, I still ALWAYS use Darkglass for drive.
    The Duality is simply not for my taste. It's actually too agressive for me.

13. XLunacy

XLunacy

Nov 28, 2013
    France
    Mini Alpha Omega maybe ? Same as the large one, without the EQ / DI.
    Call it the Alpha Omega Core or something like that :cool:

Jakeman likes this.
  14. Guidobass

Guidobass

May 25, 2013
    Some kind of power amp or a reverb pedal!

15. LowRenzo

LowRenzo

Jul 3, 2014
    The Hague
    As someone who keeps going back to the regular ol' B3K, I totally get wanting a smaller version of the Alpha Omega for convenience-reasons, but I really can't see how it could comfortably be done.

It would probably end up one super-crowded little pedal as the switches are equally as important for the sound as the Alpha - Omega blend, from what I've gathered. That would make for 4 knobs and 2 switches where there's really only comfortably enough room for either 3 knobs and 2 switches like the B3K, or 4 knobs like the VMT and Duality.

Or maybe it could become a pedal with a 'compromised' version of the toggles, putting in a single 3-way toggle with a flat, extra growl, and extra bite setting. That would maybe fit inbetween the 4 regular knob locations, aesthetically. But the real question is if that would be even remotely possible with how the actual insides of the AO need to be put together.

Hm. Makes you wonder.

Frank_Raider likes this.
  16. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    Yeah definetly an AO without the eq...all the other pedals are that way...makes sense.

Jakeman likes this.
  17. XLunacy

XLunacy

Nov 28, 2013
    France
    Don't see any issue adding 2 of those switches between the existing 4 knobs, there's even more room in there than there is on the larger pedals !

9922316_800.jpg

11098950_800.jpg

But I have absolutely no idea what it would imply on the PCB :hyper:

LowRenzo likes this.
  18. LowRenzo

LowRenzo

Jul 3, 2014
    The Hague
    Yeah, okay, fair point, haha.

I looked at my B3K whilst typing and imagined it getting a bit cramped with an extra knob on there, but seeing the VMT again I guess there's room for two switches positioned above and below eachother instead of side by side.

Still think it would feel more cramped than the B7K/VMTD though, due to how the actual switches and knobs are positioned in relation to eachother.

This's gotten me all kinds of curious. I need some concrete answers before my brain overheats thinking about this :roflmao:.

XLunacy likes this.
  19. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    shag it @Darkglass! Why not just do a modular of some sort. Everyone seems to be doing them now. Get yo beats on with Darkglass! You could do some killer stuff dude. I'm actually kind of serious here. :)

Matt Dean likes this.
  20. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    After more thought, what about an EQ/preamp pedal with DI out? Add it to your b3K/VMT/Duality/AO and instant "Ultra" status! Or use elsewhere in your chain like the MXR Bass Preamp or Ampeg Classic Bass Preamp... Design work mostly done too!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021