1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Okay so now that Doug has rested after releasing the Alpha Omega ;) What's coming up for Darkglass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BrentSimons, Apr 13, 2017.

1. NoxNoctus

NoxNoctus The Crushinator

May 9, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    I used to run this way, B3K into an MXR 6 band EQ. It worked well-ish, but the EQ points on the 7K are just so perfect. Unless you were doing like a Source Audio PEQ... but by the time you get a quality EQ you're already up towards the price of the superior unit so it kind of defeats the point.

Jamieeeee likes this.
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I may have said this before, but I'd love Doug's take on a true multiband OD pedal.

Some very good multiband ODs have been done, such as the XD2 and Basilisk by Brimstone Audio, the Triumvirate and RUP by VFE. I believe the Ashdown Hyperdrive is a semi-para bandpass OD, and the Empress Multidrive has fixed 500Hz HPF/LPF on each of its 3 OD channels that can be used for clean lows/dirty highs. I'm hoping that Tech21 will come out with a pedal version of it's dUg amplifier, which definitely nails dUg Pinnick's tones. Finally, there's a bass amp (I forget the name) with something like 7 bands of OD... I think that might be overkill, though!

All that said, I think Doug could nail a multiband OD pedal, possibly making it smaller and more concise than the XD2/Basilisk. I would definitely want control of the crossover point(s), level and gain for each band, EQ of some kind... plus special Darkglass sauce.

3. I could definitely see a lower powered version of the amp coming out soon. Throw in a different ICE module and it's mostly done so not a massive amount of R&D required. I also think the 900 will see a revision in the next year or two. I really like mine but it does have some pretty annoying issues I'd like to see fixed or addressed.

4. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Yeah, I think a VMTD500 would fly off the shelves, even cutting way back to the bare minimum functionality i.e. no channel switching, just set and forget. Awesome. It's how I'm using my M900!

BrentSimons and Darkglass like this.
  5. CoarseBass

CoarseBass

Dec 28, 2002
    I'm seriously digging my AO, and thinking about the product spin offs that could come from it.

Back in the day, the big difference between BXK and the Vintage Microtubes was the ERA knob versus the 2 switches for gain side color. I never used my ERA knob on my G1 VMTD, it was always dimed, which seems pretty common. The V2 is internally rigged to sound about like ERA full bright/modern, and the VMTD now has a 4 vs. 3 band EQ to match the B7K, and the two color switches.

This shift in architecture made it really easy to bring an Ultra version of the Vintage out, same layout, EQ, etc, as the B7KU, but with the Vintage voice. The smaller format pedals are still rocking the ERA knob, but Doug could easily switch them up and trade ERA for the switches.

The AO is trickier, because the Mod knob that occupies the same spot as the old ERA knob on the VTMD is more integral to the pedals voice, but it also has BXK style color switches. In a small format, the a Vintage style four knobber could retain the mod knob, but would lose the switches...which are fantastic, and even more usefully voiced than the Microtubes versions. Duality is similar in concept, with the balance between fuzz circuits.

So we could have a 4 knob AO, or we could keep the switches - sacking the mod knob, and producing two versions of the pedal - A and O, both B3K format with Grind and Bite switches. Personally, I'm so in love with the A sound, I'd buy the switched, A only version before one with a mod knob.

3 options is a lot, from a logistics, supply chain, distribution, engineering perspective, even if they're largely family - stocking and distribution would be a pain, and you'd have distributors rolling their eyes at the proliferation of SKUs. Either a Vintage format with mod knob, or 2 B3K format pedals...not both/all three.

Ultra format is a little trickier. The seperate A and O pedals is harder still at this price point, and the perceived loss of functionality would put the pedal at a disadvantage vs. the regular AO. Keeping the Mod knob precludes the four band EQ common to the Ultra series, unless we subbed it in for the Master knob...which I'd be fine with, but I know a lot of people really like the Master control, which is part of the Ultra platform/'signature'.

In an Amp...A/O switching the same way the M900 switches voices would work. Mod knob could more easily replace an EQ band on the amp, too.

Personally, I think a great direction would be the next gen of preamsp...4 band would be a natural start, switchable mids, etc, but I'd really like to see new ground cut on onboard distortion/drive. Give me a BXK/Vintage/A/O onboard... hell yeah.

6. Enjoy your new home in Finland XD

Darkglass likes this.
  7. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    To play the what's next game, maybe a retro microtubes(which would be like a cross between a b3k and a vmt). I've seen a few youtube clips where they combine the bk3 with the vmt which gives it a pretty killer sound. maybe that could be the next idea for darkglass(my apologies if this sounds rather stupid or if that's already covered by the alpha omega. still, it's something of an idea). here's one of the clips that does this combination.

Nefarius696 and BrentSimons like this.
  8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I would like to see darkglass's take on of chorus and flanger effects. that would be cool to see.

9. Ha! So true. I'm purposely not trying out the A/O until it comes out with an XLR. By some miracle, Darkglass pedals do not necessarily need LPF and I'd be all over the A/O ultra for the sake of a high-end SansAmp-type device to throw in my gig bag.

BrentSimons likes this.
  10. LowRenzo

LowRenzo

Jul 3, 2014
    The Hague
    11778000_800.jpg

There you go, buddy.

11. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Next suggestion in the "what next" game: revise the ultra series pedals to include the tone control from the M900. A stroke of genius that control is!

BrentSimons likes this.
  12. TheMaynorD

TheMaynorD Gold Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    So I have also heard great things about this setup. Maybe take the AO concept and do a B3k/VMT combo pedal that can do one or the other, both, and flip which order they run. Or you could just buy both pedals as Im sure a combo pedal would cost a LOT of money.

Crystalman85 and LowRenzo like this.
  13. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Well yes buying both pedals would cost a lot, but my idea for this is to have both pedals in one. that way you get the best of both worlds. if doug comes up with a new bass distortion pedal that combines the b3k with vmt, it should be called the retro microtubes. and with it, it would save the hassle of getting both to achieve that killer sound. I don't know if someone here is gonna tell me that the alpha omega has that covered, but if not, there's an Idea right there.

TheMaynorD likes this.
  14. TheMaynorD

TheMaynorD Gold Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Yeah I think that idea is a solid one. Keeleys Loomer pedal has a reveeb and fuzz and you can do one, the other, or both and switch which order they are in. Great idea that could be applied to vmt and b3k. Retrotubes. Also a great name for a 70s and 80s pop cover band.

15. I think it might. It has the combo of B#K metal bite and VMT warmth/mids, except with added grunt and roughness. I use a Tech21 Oxford with mine, but really it's only to add a bit more sparkle/compression to it.

My previous favorite bass tone was the VMT going into my old B3K, but this sounds even better to me. And I haven't even tried it with new strings yet.

16. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Alright positive feedback on my idea. glad to know that this idea would work. as mentioned before, I have seen many basssists combine the b3k and the vmt resulting in creating a killer sound. which is why I think the retro microtubes would be a great idea for darkglass's next bass distortion pedal. retrotubes does sound like a name of a cover band, but it also sounds like a model name for a brand of 12ax7 tubes. It would be so awesome seeing this pedal idea come to life.

TheMaynorD and FaithNoMan like this.
  17. I was talking about the Alpha Omega, but yes...a preamp combining Darkglass overdrives would rock:).

I was kinda pressing Doug to do this a while back, but I'm pretty happy now. I hope he just keeps at it and doesn't decide to quit and become a champion pumpkin grower one day out of the blue.

TheMaynorD, Crystalman85 and LowRenzo like this.
  18. madmaskbass

madmaskbass

Apr 29, 2008
    Australia
    With the huge success of the M900 why not an all tube monster head? Hey why not chuck the A/O pre in there somewhere as well!! oosh that would sound scary good! Megatubes comes to mind for a name...Ok go Doug!

Edit: Omegatubes, or Alphatubes both sound cool aswell lol.

Maxfenderbass and BrentSimons like this.
  19. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Oh okay. but still, my darkglass retro microtubes idea is a pretty good idea. indeed it would rock. \m/

FaithNoMan likes this.
  20. I like it! :)

Crystalman85 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021