Okay then, suggest a Motherboard/CPU/ram combination!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Basschair, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Well, I think I've been talked into building (or having built) the next computer for my wife and I, based on replies I got to my other thread here . It's been a long time since I've been in the position of ordering all the parts for a computer, and then assembling.

I need suggestions on compatible MOBO/cpu/ram, as I just scanned through newegg.com, and am taken back by all the new technology. To narrow it down, I'd like to stick to the following:

-AMD based chip...nothing against Intel, I just like AMD
    -I like, but am not exclusive to, Asus boards
    -We don't need a major workhorse here: this is for normal household use
    -Onboard LAN a big plus
    -I'll be adding a video card, and probably a FW card as well, though onboard FW or the newest usb is a plus.
    -I'm not rich, so I'm not interested in anything like this.

My DAW computer has an Asus A7V8X board with an xp 2500+ chip, and I love it, so something similar to this would be sweet.

Serious thanks to any help given here!
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'd go with something in the Athlon 64 X2 chips. Yeah, the 4800 is a lot. I think probably the 4200 is a good price point.

brad cook
  3. mcbc

Oct 31, 2005
    Cincinnati, OH
    i have the same asus mb you have and once had the xp 2500. since this is a slot a chip, the semprons will fit in this board (you will have to flash the bios) and the board holds up to 3 gb of ram. the sempron chips with this board overclock very easy(even with stock cooling) that is what i did. just for normal everyday use, it works for me great. just an idea..
  4. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

That would be cool, but unfortunately that board is in my recording computer. The computer to be replaced is a P3 with a board from 5 or 6 years ago, and I'd rather go with an entirely new system. I haven't been able to find any a7v8x-x boards online via the normal stores.
  5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    If you plan on re-using some of the components from your old computer, make sure your power supply is atleast 300W. The CPUs nowdays are much more power hungry then before.
  6. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I'm pretty sure I won't be, but thanks for the heads up!

The only thing I have right now that I'll use is a pair of Western Dig hard drives, both new in-the-box, 80 gig, 7200, 8mb cache. I know there are better drives out there, but these are great ones, and hey: they're free!
  7. It might be easier to make suggestions if a specific price range was in mind. Here's one for now. (Newegg just as example; buy from wherever.)

Motherboard: Asus K8N Socket 754

This is assuming you're going to be using AGP graphics. If you're looking into PCI:E, then don't buy this motherboard.

CPU: AMD Semperon 64 3000+

RAM: 1GB Kingston PC3200 Valueram

That comes to $233.50. This is just one top-of-the head suggestion
  8. Definitely consider one of these. I have one in my laptop and its a very good processor, very quick.
  9. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

You know, that's pretty weird: I'd begun piecing together components, and that was the exact processor/board/ram that I came up with, all from newegg. Well, that sounds like solid testimony!

Hey Davidoc, what's up with windows xp64? Is it necessary (IF I went with windows) to get this version for the amd 64 chip?
  10. It is not. I have that chip and just regular Windows XP Home running.
  11. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
  12. Even if you went with Linux which would have the 64-bit version available without having to buy anything, I would advise not bothering. Certain 32-bit applications will not work properly when used with a 64-bit operating system without some emulation. (eg: flash.)

Eventually this will change, but for now not enough applications support 64-bit OSes.