Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Okay, this is getting pretty stupid.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Oct 12, 2004.

1. I have had a canker sore on the inside of my cheek near my cuspids on the left side of my mouth. It's nearly the size of a dime and it has been in my mouth for about 10 days now.

I want to know what I can do to make this damn thing go away. I have been brushing my teeth and flossing about 3-4 times a day now, I rinse out my mouth with warm salt water once a day, and I haven't been using mouthwash, in fear of immense pain.

Anyone else have some decent techniques/recipes on how to make these go away.

2. i have found that no matter what i try, only time makes them heal. my preferred pain relief method is half water, half HO solution. my mom uses oral B's amosan.

robb.

3. freakbass

freakbass "Pile-drivingly Heavy" since 1983

Drink orange juice. The folic acid will make it go away.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    use listerine. The alcohol in it will kill the germs that that sore is fighting with, and let it get to healing. When I had tonsillitis, I gargled the stuff, and it actually made them feel better, and made the soreness go away a bit quicker.

5. BlasphemyArise

BlasphemyArise

Jul 15, 2004

i do the same thing and it's gone in a couple days :bassist:

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I had that goin on the week I purchased my first real bass, my Warwick. Musta been the excitement or nerves around it all. It was absolute torture. Add to the fact that I was sure it was connected to some dreaded disease that was going to eventually take my life. I think the day I actually picked up the bass was right around the 10 day mark too. It just wasn't going away. Unfortunately I think they have to run their course and that's around 2 weeks. I rinsed my mouth with warm water and peroxide the last couple of days. That's when it finally went away, but I don't know if it was the peroxide, or simply the passing of time.

I feel fer ya. Hang in there. :)

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I use Anbesol gel.

Canker sores are caused by a virus, and viri are often hard to conquer completely. If you get canker sores, it's pretty certain that you'll be susceptible to getting them the rest of your life.

Stress often causes outbreaks, and wounds in the mouth, such as biting your tongue or the inside of your mouth, often develop into them.

Some things that I've found seem to help fight canker sores while they're still small:
    • In addition to brushing and flossing your teeth, clean your mouth regularly with an antiseptic mouthwash. Swish it around in your mouth for a good long time.
    • As soon as you feel a canker sore soming on, dab some Anbesol or something equivalent on it several times a day, after using mouthwash.

I've found that if I start attacking a sore this way while it's still tiny, there's a very good chance it'll stop growing and disappear in a couple days.

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I got one... once. But i showed it the error of its ways with a pin and a surgical scalpel blade. It never came back.

Same with Veruccas. I didnt need a chiropodist.....

9. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    If you're avoiding mouthwash 'cause of the pain, get Biotene. It's full of antiseptics other than alcohol, so it won't burn. Also, lay off of the soda for a while, drink more water.

10. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Half water half oral hydrogen peroxide is the best solution. My dad is a doctor and highly recommends this method. It drastically speeds up the rate of recovery.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

+1. This is what I do, and they are usually gone in a day or two.

12. Exactly where I get all of mine from.

Alright, I will do these things in addition to my mouth cleaning rituals.

Thanks everyone. I think it is started to go away, but it's still been very annoying.

13. ... Why are you using salt water? isn't one of the things that makes a canker sore worse is salt or to much salt?

*btw... try baking soda...

14. Miss Veruca Salt?

15. If it's still there after a month's gone by...go to a doctor, it could be cancerous. I'm not joking.

16. Are you serious? I always thought Orange juice made them worse. I have one right now and that's the first thing I'm going to cut out.

Best way to get rid of them in my experience is to cut out the really sugary and acidic drinks and foods in my diet until the sore is gone.

17. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Good point. My mom had what she thought was a canker sore. After a few weeks it was still bothering her so I suggested that she see a doctor. Turned out to be a type of oral cancer. Luckily, it was caught early enough and was taken care of with simple out-patient surgery. If she had waited longer, the results could have been horrible.

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I brush in the morning and skip brushing again till the next morning and Im usually good after that if its a stubborn one.

Ive found that brushing often makes them worse because the toothbrush rubs up against the opening and irritates it.

19. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    In high school I was a pretty good wrestler, but I had to give up the sport because I was getting continual canker sores in my mouth. Almost every match or practice would cause some impact of the inside of my mouth or cheek against my teeth, and those little cuts developed into sores. Drinking orange juice and sometimes even talking was very painful.

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Thanks for the tip. I'm going to stop brushing my teeth altogether.

brad cook