Okay... what next? fretless, a 5er..., ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt Call, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Okay, so I've had my bongo for a little while now. I like it, but am really unsure about whether or not I want to keep it long term. I'm getting a fender pretty soon. I don't know exactly what kind it is... (loooong story).

and here's the deal. I think I want to sell the bongo and get another bass. I'm thinking either a fretless or something along the lines of a sadowky, dingwall, or a roscoe. Possibly a fretless roscoe? I'm playing mainly church worship music, but am also going to be playing with a jazz band, and there's talk of rekindling my old band (alt-rock.).

I'm really at a crossroads here. I know I'm going to love the fender I get, whatever it is. I've always loved fenders. heck, I love squiers.

I'd love any advice. or if there is none, that's cool. I just wanted to throw some stuff out and see what people have to say.

Another possibility is a new head...
  2. well a bongo, is a very nice instrument in itself. what i'd do, in your boots, make the bongo fretless, epoxy the fretboard, and buy a nice head to take full advantage of the new found sound. recycling the old to make it new again, i love it. :D

p.s. keep in mind, this is one man's opinion. i'm playing jazz off my fretless p and an SWR workingman's 4004, i'm very into recycling the old. :)
  3. Fretless is great, but not for everyone...If you are gigging...you may want to make the change gradually.

I'm a firm believer that EVERY bassist should at least have one fretless. It helps the player get intimate with the instrument and can translate beautifully to even fretted playing.

Get yourself a reasonably priced fretless, first. How about a nice Carvin 5er, or something like that? Keep the bongo a while longer (or forever), and go from there.