1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Okay... what next? fretless, a 5er..., ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt Call, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Okay, so I've had my bongo for a little while now. I like it, but am really unsure about whether or not I want to keep it long term. I'm getting a fender pretty soon. I don't know exactly what kind it is... (loooong story).

and here's the deal. I think I want to sell the bongo and get another bass. I'm thinking either a fretless or something along the lines of a sadowky, dingwall, or a roscoe. Possibly a fretless roscoe? I'm playing mainly church worship music, but am also going to be playing with a jazz band, and there's talk of rekindling my old band (alt-rock.).

I'm really at a crossroads here. I know I'm going to love the fender I get, whatever it is. I've always loved fenders. heck, I love squiers.

I'd love any advice. or if there is none, that's cool. I just wanted to throw some stuff out and see what people have to say.

Another possibility is a new head...

2. well a bongo, is a very nice instrument in itself. what i'd do, in your boots, make the bongo fretless, epoxy the fretboard, and buy a nice head to take full advantage of the new found sound. recycling the old to make it new again, i love it. :D

p.s. keep in mind, this is one man's opinion. i'm playing jazz off my fretless p and an SWR workingman's 4004, i'm very into recycling the old. :)

3. Fretless is great, but not for everyone...If you are gigging...you may want to make the change gradually.

I'm a firm believer that EVERY bassist should at least have one fretless. It helps the player get intimate with the instrument and can translate beautifully to even fretted playing.

Get yourself a reasonably priced fretless, first. How about a nice Carvin 5er, or something like that? Keep the bongo a while longer (or forever), and go from there.