1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Okay, what should I get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pennydreadful, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I've looked around a bunch, and I can't seem to find anything that really fits my criteria. So I'm hoping you guys know something I dun't.

Here are the requirements:

-Vintage/thumpy tone for use in alt-country/indie stuff
    -Decent wattage (200W or more would be nice)
    -Don't care if it's a combo or head/cab
    -Under $800

Not that difficult, right? But here's the thing - I hate, hate carpet covering and big, metal grilles. Can't stand em. That one thing makes it damn near impossible for me to find anything I like.

Help?

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Old Kustom T-N-R amps should do the trick. Or old Traynor amps and cabinets. Lots of stuff on the 'bay.

3. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    peavy 115 bass combo, 300 watts, no carpet, no metal grill, around 650.00.

4. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    With the tone you are talking about, I would start with a P Bass

5. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Johhnycat42 - Got one. ;) But the hollowbody does it better.
    Jeff Scott - I was hoping for something a bit easier to find.
    Wingnut - What model Peavey you talkin bout?
    Joe Atlanta - I've considered those, as well as the b200r (which, if I'm not mistaken, is more or less the same amp, just way cooler looking), but I've heard some dicey reviews of lower-end Ampeg combos lately, and also that Ampeg tends to overrate their solid state watts. Can anybody shed some light on either of those subjects?

Thanks, and keep em comin.

6. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    Are you considering the used market? If so, there are a million unloved Peavey, Sunn, Traynor, Acoustic heads/cabs from the 1970's/80's out there that will easily fit your stated budget.

Getting my feet wet with a modest rig, I've got an Avatar 212 cab and a Trace V Type 300 head, would be a great set-up for alt-country (city?), roots rock, etc. Heck, it even works for reggae, though it has its (clean) volume limitations. It's warm, relatively loud & cost less than $600 total. I don't think it'd be too hard to get the capet off the head enclosure, but haven't tried (yet). And you could attach fabric to a metal grill or build a frame for a cloth grill if you're even just a little handy/resourceful. Happy hunting.

7. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Thanks, Koobie. It's not that I don't want used- it's just that I'd rather be set on something that'll be available long enough for me to make up my mind and change it a billion times, and maybe even save up some extra money. I just don't like having a time limit on a potential purchase, if that makes sense.

8. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    How about an Ashdown MAG 300H head, $329 at MF, and an Ampeg B410HE cab, $449. That should thump reasonably well. I've never been crazy about Ashdown combos, but I've liked the heads the few times I've tried them.

9. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Although some of the specs look similar, the amps in the BA series and in the Rocket series do not sound even remotely similar to each other. The BA's have a huge, full bottom end, whereas the Rockets are designed to emulate a fat tube amp emphasizing thick, gooey mids. Lots of folks around here (including me) have and love their B100Rs. The bigger B200R is relatively new, and there was a bug in the first batch that caused folks to blow fuses; this is probably what you were hearing bad reviews about. This problem is now supposed to be fixed, and as far as I've heard nobody's complained about one since. I'll also note that the B100R is loud enough for an electric band and small gigs, so whatever Ampeg's reputation for "overrating" wattage, the B200R should be plenty loud for most contexts.

So, as far as your desire for "vintage" and "thumpy," you'd get more of the "thumpy" from the BA115HT and more of the "vintage" from the B200R. Both are great, but you need to hear them both (or their smaller brothers and sisters, at least) to decide which you personally prefer. In either case, though, I really don't think you should hesitate to buy either of these "lower end" Ampeg combos.

10. dennish83377

dennish83377

Nov 3, 2005
    I recently purchased and returned a B200R. It was brand new in the box. When I plugged it in, the lights came on but there was no sound. Tried multiple cables and two basses. Nada. Nothing. Returned it for full refund.
    This was my second B200R. The first one was floor damage unit that sounded great in the store but had a rattle at moderate volumes. I liked the tone so much that I returned it and paid full price for the new unit. Fool me twice. I'd be wary of the B200.

11. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    OK, I stand corrected!

Actually, the way I would go is buy a used one with a proven track record. (I seem to recall seeing one in the TB classifieds recently, actually.) Or, buy one through a store so you can thoroughly check it out before bringing it home.

12. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Haha- I read Lobster's post and went, "oh, neat", then I read dennish's and went "oh, dammit".

Nedmundo - That might not be a bad option, except for two things. 1. The Ashdown head is carpet covered. I've considered getting the rackmount one and one of Aguilar's head cases (or something similar) but the rackmount versions of Ashdown MAG stuff seems to have disappeared. 2. What kinda wattage would the Ashdown get at 8 ohms?

13. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I checked Ashdown's site, and they don't even provide the power rating at eight ohms. It's probably around 180, because the manual for the MAG 300 heads is mixed with the Electric Blue 180 stuff. Look into a G-K 400RB-IV from rmcaudio.com. No carpet, and the price might be close enough to work for you. The newer G-K heads (like my 700RB-II) hit very hard for their power ratings. The Peavey Tour 450 is $439.99 at MF, and is therefore probably available for less elsewhere. That might work.