Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Okay, what the hell is up with this guy's tone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Anyone know? Strings, bass, eq, effects? Anything? I have been wondering forever, and just htis morning I took the time to figure out how to cut bits of song out of mp3s.

2. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    More, to give you a better example, this is a pre-mixed version of one of thier songs.

3. sounds liek he's tuned an E octave lower!

:confused: :eek:

4. Sounds like he's playing either very out of tune w/ a glass slide....or he is fieldy;)

:oops:

5. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    well, most I can get out of it is that he has all the lows cut and the highs and mids boosted heavily with the eq. I've actually gotten a very similar tone to that messing aorund with my spector- cuts the lows, boost the treble, use only the bridge pup (cut the neck pup out), downtune a step or so, throw on some stainless roundwounds, and pump in a little muscle from an overdrive pedal- mine's a Boss powerdriver. A little bit of distortion woudl get you close too, but you wouldn't want a lot.:bassist:

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Not that I would ever want my tone to sound like that but I think it sounds pretty cool for the song in the first clip. It seems fitting to the riff at least IMO. Definitely sounds better than Fieldy. :)

brad cook