1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Okay, what's everyone's thoughts about the American Professional?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HiEnd Basses, Dec 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. HiEnd Basses

HiEnd Basses

Mar 4, 2016
    Already thinking about my next Bass; I have 2 American Standard Precision Basses, a 2016 Limited Edition American Standard PJ Bass, and a Fender Select Precision Bass. Anyone play one, or at least are familiar with the specs? Should I venture into American Elite Land instead (a departure from my passive vein)?

2. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    I haven't played one yet, but based on the specs, I would expect it to be every bit as good as the recent American Standards, and (at least for my tastes) probably a little bit better. I would happily get one, though if I were looking to buy another Fender today, I would strongly consider seeking a great deal on what remains of the American Standard line. Though those new gray/olive colors do look nice...

MattZilla, Tbone76, BlueMINI and 2 others like this.
  3. HiEnd Basses

HiEnd Basses

Mar 4, 2016
    Grab those colors! They have a habit of going away.

Tbone76, steelbed45 and trothwell like this.
  4. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    True. I really regret going for Olympic White instead of Jade Pearl on my last Fender... not that I don't like OW, because I do, but Jade Pearl may be out of production for years / forever now...

5. HiEnd Basses

HiEnd Basses

Mar 4, 2016
    I know. Can't even find one on Amazon. Ultimately, with Fender it ends up being Olympic White, Black, and the Famed 3 color Sunburst

PsyDocHill and trothwell like this.
  6. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    Think they are every bit as good as the old American Standards. And as a bonus, you even got to pay more for them!

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I just read about them. Sounds good. I won't buy until other confirm. That's why I just plugged in here :).

8. HiEnd Basses

HiEnd Basses

Mar 4, 2016
    Every bit as good, but not better. Not slamming Fender at all. That Mod V PUP is supposed to have a nicer, more vintage sound on the low notes, so that might be considered an improvement. Fluted tuner machines? Okay, they're probably idiot proof. Bridge saddles have one groove; also idiot proof. The medium jumbo frets have been replaced with long thin frets, so that's a drastic departure from the traditional P Bass. The neck is a 1963 P neck, so more traditional and maybe more to hold; that might feel better. Looks like it's a little lighter, but not much. I'll probably end up with one, mainly because I soon won't be able to purchase an American Standard anymore. American Standard has been around since 1987. Not sure they should've changed the name, but they have already pulled the trigger.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  9. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Only that name of 'American Standard' didn't change in all that time. The basses themselves changed a lot since 1987.

10. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Ayuh. Nailed it.

superdick2112 and G RICH 5 like this.
  11. In the good olde UK, where the pound has took a nose dive, the P bass is £1500 or $1849 in US cash. Which is a lot for a "standard" mass produced bass, even though they seem quite nice.

No, I won`t be buying one. Or even two.

Herrick and izpak like this.
  12. HiEnd Basses

HiEnd Basses

Mar 4, 2016
    Of course! Especially with the Custom Shop PUP'S in 2008.

13. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    I loathe medium jumbo frets. The American Pro therefore piques my interest.

14. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    They still have the same HMV bridges as the AS line, with multiple grooves. They did not go to single-groove saddles.

Tbone76, Lazarus27 and HiEnd Basses like this.
  15. soxhats

soxhats Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    The series underwent a major design change in 2008, but the CS pickups weren't added until a few years ago.

Matt R., Turlu and HiEnd Basses like this.
  16. soxhats

soxhats Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm intrigued by the Pro (especially that sonic grey Jazz with the maple board), but I must say, but that's quite a price hike over the Standards. I don't understand the business strategy there.

17. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    The new olive green is to die for. Tort guard would perfect it.

Stormchaser likes this.
  18. I'm curious to try some at NAMM next month.

Fxpmusic likes this.
  19. snarebear

snarebear

Apr 19, 2012
    Same bass, new name.

20. HiEnd Basses

HiEnd Basses

Mar 4, 2016
    Thank you. I stand corrected.