Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Okay, what's the deal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rojo412, Aug 24, 2000.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    The Warwick Alien Acoustic Bass...
    It says on their website that it's made by a Korean Manufacturer. Which one? I was going to get one but then I saw that and am starting to reconsider. I knew the cost was too good to be true though.

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    A Korean Made WARWICK??
    WHAT???
    I just cant believe it, Thats gonna suck!!!
    A high priced "Brand Name" Bass.
    I prefeer to buy a Cort.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Because as we all know, Cort isn't Korean:D
    Danish, right?

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    No, Its not Danish, it is Martian.
    What I meant is that a real Warwick is built in Germany, and If I were out buying a Korean made bass, I would buy a CORT.
    That's what I meant.

Cor-Tek Factory in Korea produces some of the best Korean made instruments today: Ibanez, Cort,(GrooveTools)Conklin,Washburn and Fender.

Did I explain myself?

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I went to Guitar center one day and I saw a Jay Turser copy of a Warwick corvette bass with Bartolini JJ pickups. The price? $650!!! Right next to it, the real deal, price: $750!!! Who's the poor sap buying these Tur(d)sers???

Will C.:cool:

6. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Why does it make such a big difference when it comes to where something is made?

If it feels good and sounds good, play it! :)

-GM

7. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    It's twue, it's twue...

When I was here TDY last year, there was a "Warwick" 4-string fretless in the local shop here on sale for $400! Everything looked authentic (and it weighed the standard 47 lbs.) but I'm guessing that the only thing Warwick about it was the body. I'm not a fretless player, so I never even plugged it in (I've learned my lesson about trying out a fretless in public), but it felt like any other Warwick I've picked up (like a big, ugly chunk of wood harvested from the Enchanted Forest). I doubt they offer them for export (to the U.S., anyway), but there are definitely Korean-made Warwicks out there milling about.

-------------------
    If it weren't for the cheap beer, Cuban cigars and Russian prostitutes, this place wouldn't be any fun at all.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

I was joking:D
    :D:D:D:D

BTW a "real" Warwick is anything made by or for Warwick
    with the Warwick name. I'm guessing your assumption is that
    Warwick would not be using Cort, as Conklin does. If they
    did...

Are the Gibson/Tobiases "real" Tobiases?...Yes...just not
    very good ones, overall:D

OK? ;)

9. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Does everyone worry as much about where their TV, VCR, or other electronics, etc. are made..as they do their bass? We live in a global market now and there are good AND bad basses from every country where they are made...even the good old USA.

10. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Cheap , does not directly mean Bad.
    Normally, Asian craftmanship is cheaper than american or european craftmanship.
    That's why those basses are inexpensive, anyway, there is a diffence in the quality of Korean VS Chinesse or Taiwannesse..
    Japan and Korea produce the best around, specially the Cor-Tek Factory.But Chinesee or Taiwaneese?? Please those SUCK TO HELL!!!
    I prefeer a Korean over a Mexican.

Now, Talking about good and bad in general, you just cannot tell that where it comes from is good or bad.
    But in my experience, a good Warwick Bass is made in Germany, A good Fender bass is made in the U.S.A, a good Gibson is made in the U.S.A... WHY?? Because they made the "cheaper" instruments somewhere else rather than in the USA to protect the "Made with Pride in the USA" theme.
    Get the point??
    One of the best Examples is Spectors.. and Fenders.
    Spectors have:
    USA HANDMADE -->The Best Quality
    USA
    Europa -->Made in Chzech republic (Dont you think this could be as great as the US ones??)
    Korean--> Cheaper instruments
    Chineesse (NS2000B)---This one isnt even a bass.

11. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Talking about VCR, TV , etc...
    Where is EVERY electronic device made now??
    ASIA.

Does USA produce better products in that market??
    NO

Is USA Cheaper manufacturing those ??
    NO

Is there any difference in "Tone" "Detail" "Feeling" in a MICROWAVE OVEN that we should care of??
    Only if my popcorn wouldnt get so burned in the bottom.
    :)

There is no comparision in something so popular like a Dishwasher, over something as Personal as a Bass or any musical Instrument.
    Every TV is the Same, No Bass is the same, even from the same production line.

12. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    It's not that I have anything against Korean Manufacturing. The Conklin GT's kick ass. But warwick seems to be avoiding an issue by saying it's made by a Korean manufacturer, but not telling us which one. I've never played it so I don't know if it sounds good or not. Personally, I've rarely played an acoustic bass that sounds good. Even the Taylor/Klein bass sounds pretty thin unplugged. The Martin is good, though. But all of the Korean made ones sound bad... Hohner, Fender, Ibanez, Cort... That's why I was thinking Warwick would have made a better bass.

13. reel big bassist

reel big bassist

Mar 27, 2000
    Maryland
    When I read that the Alien is made in Korea one word popped
    into my head...Why?

Why would Warwick make this particular bass in Korea?
    I mean if labor is cheaper in Korea why wouldn't Warwick
    make all their basses there? It doesn't make sense.

Sincerely,
    -Greg

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Maybe the cost of buying the necessary tools to build the basses in Germany would be too expensive. If the Korean Alien is commercially successful, they might come out with a German one. Also, they might be training their staff to build them. The process of making an ABG is much more involved than making a solid body instrument.

15. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    No ABG I've played has sounded okay to me. They are always too quiet. You're better of getting an electric semihollow for a more acoustic tone.

I would like to play one of those Earthwood EB acoustic basses though

16. cccllliiinnnder

cccllliiinnnder

Feb 2, 2008
    helow if you want to know were the alien is made,you have to go to wietnam,it is made in wietnam,
    good wibes to you!

17. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Dude this thread is old.

18. ctufankjian

ctufankjian

Sep 28, 2007
    Vermont
    Endorsing Artist: Unicornbass.se
    yea, reflecting back to 2001, it seems that we were a much less sophisticated race.;)

19. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Needs more Crons.

20. Hi.

The holy Cylon thread resurrection ship is back.

This is one great bump for the TB-kind, a one small step...., the greatest one in a long time I think.

Can't anyone find a thread that died in the 90's, now that would really be something ;).

Just my 0.02€
    Sam