1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Okay, who started the whole "ambient sounds" thing in Prog Rock?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tupac, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    This is starting to bug me. Damn you Mars Volta. Wish Rick Rubin produced the rest of their albums to prevent this crap.

Who told Prog Rock artists it was okay to waste space with this stuff?

eyvindwa likes this.
  2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Brian Eno, many moons ago, not just Prog Rock.

JMacBass65 and 10cc like this.
  3. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I've always viewed the 3rd movement of "Close To The Edge" by Yes (the drum-less quiet section before the vocals enter singing about "In her white lace she could clearly see the yadda yadda yadda...") as the progenitor for ambience in prog. It's the archetypal spacey, swampy, atmospheric, relaxation moment. Probably wasn't the first instance, but it certainly predates Brian Eno's contributions to the "Ambient" genre.

tangentmusic likes this.
  4. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Summer in the City - The Lovin' Spoolful, 1966

Gravedigger Dav and tbz like this.
  5. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    This was my first thought too. the "I get up - I get down" segment gets pretty spacey and ambient.
    There may be some Pink Floyd ambient-like stuff that predates 1972's Close To The Edge

embellisher likes this.
  6. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Well, Echoes, for sure.

7. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    ^ There you go - I just couldn't think of it off the top.. ^

8. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Philistine.

It's a part of the music. If you don't have the patience for it, I'm sure you'll find something more to your liking on the Billboard Top 40.

As far as earliest? King Crimson perhaps? Moonchild on Court of the Crimson King (1969)?

Pink Floyd were doing experimental interludes as far back as Piper at the Gates of Dawn (1967).

Although really you could trace the origins back to late Romantic and 20th century classical music composers, who were certainly exploring minimalist and experimental movements as parts of a larger whole. Avante garde jazz as well, for that matter.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    fraublugher and SunnBass like this.
  9. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    Swishy, swirly, airy, fairy. Yes were pretty good at that ambient sound thing.

10. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Ouch!

11. sevdog

sevdog

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX
    I just thought it happened whenever they got a hold of the good drugs.

Shovel likes this.
  12. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsMLIfuQN6s5LSuj3ugHN2fiI27D1UX07IVJcFVNzulALH79NR.

Tupac likes this.
  13. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    So I'm impatient for wanting to listen to music when I listen to music? If I wanted to hear bird's chirp I'd go outside. No disrespect to the many great artists who've done this (Yes as mentioned), but it seems so lazy and filler.

14. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    That's my point. It IS music.

If it sounds like filler to you it's because you're not considering it in the context of the whole. Ambience is just another color on the palette, and its just as important as lyrics, guitar solos, and silence.

Flad, SunnBass and tangentmusic like this.
  15. Mysterion

Mysterion

Jan 10, 2012
    Eric Dolphy said he was influenced by the sounds of nature, particularly birds:

"I used to play, and the birds always used to whistle with me. I would stop what I was working on, and play with the birds...Birds have notes in between our notes..."

16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Swampy ...

I think the psychedelic music of the 60s was the first to introduce the ambient sounds.

17. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    SoCal
    Used to raid my parent's LP collection in the 80s growing up, I always loved that breakdown back then.

Psychedelic music of the mid-60s popularized the whole "sounds in place of music" thing; prog really just picked up the torch on that one.

18. Definitely

Definitely Banned

I agree. I hate the ambient non-musical crap. CTTE isn't bad for it, at least not in comparison to early Porcupine Tree ambience. I like music that isn't necessarily song-based and structured, but if you're going to write a 10- or 20-minute long song, play for all of it. Experiment all you want; King Crimson did it very successfully, as did Yes. Experimentation can take many forms, you don't need to make weird noises during 5 minutes of near silence to be considered experimental.

Tupac likes this.
  19. One could argue that ambient music is like slap in a way. lol Some people can't stand it while to others it defines thier whole style.:whistle:

20. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Dark Side of the Moon.