Okko basstard?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Patchbass, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Patchbass

Patchbass

Mar 27, 2013
    England
    Not much on it would like to know more about it and how versatile how heavy it can get and how light it can get and how it sits in a mix I play in a three piece and a four piece and would like to get a mild to medium sound is this capable of that? Thanks!

2. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Yes it's capable if that. I did I crap demo of it. Lol

Wish I had better recording equipment. Search Mr. Excane on YouTube to find more.

3. Patchbass

Patchbass

Mar 27, 2013
    England
    Thanks for the reply and it's better than some videos you find on YouTube! Do you think there's better alternatives?

4. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Really IMO nothing quite sounds like the Okko. God I miss that pedal.

I have a B7K right now and it does what I want for the most part but the Okko is so unique.

If I had the spare cash, I'd get another one in a heartbeat.

5. Patchbass

Patchbass

Mar 27, 2013
    England
    Ok cool there's something about the sound on the videos that i have watched I love it's just really dirty sounding!

6. PauBass

PauBass

Apr 25, 2006
    Brighton, UK
    I've been interested on the Basstard for a while now but they don't come up in the second hand market often .
    I like what I've heard on the demos...might get me one on the next few days as I have finally found one.

7. Patchbass

Patchbass

Mar 27, 2013
    England
    Yeah they are hard to find here in the uk I may have to get mine from Germany if i choose to get it

8. Patchbass

Patchbass

Mar 27, 2013
    England
    Bump for more replies?

9. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Unfortunately I'm one of the few I know of on this board who has owned one. Lol

10. 8strings0hair

8strings0hair

Jan 28, 2011
    France
    I own one, but I play 8 string guitar, so take my comments accordingly :)

It's a great OD. Has a nice "warm" character. Even at high gain settings it doesn't get too scooped or compressed.
    I personally set the "first" channel to give me a little grit and warmth (mild OD), and the "second" (+) to be the heavy sound.
    That's actually why I got it. I wanted a 2 in 1 kinda pedal.

It reacts incredibly well to the low end.
    There is however something I'm not too fond of. Mostly that the top controls are very subtle.
    -the Clean Blend gets dirty quite soon on the dial, and I can't quite hear the clean too well in the mix. (That being said the low end stays pretty massive).
    -The Tone knob hardly does anything as it affects a pretty narrow band of midrange. I'm of the mindset that if you have controls on a pedal they should do something noticeable.
    -I have to crank the Bite control to get the top end to start really cutting through. I even sent the pedal to Heiko to mod it more for an 8 string range, but honestly I can't hear much of a difference.

Once again, these are mostly MY concerns as I use the pedal on an 8 string guitar so my needs cross over between a bass and a guitar.

In essence I love what it does to the low end, but I'm not too fond of how my top end doesn't quite keep up. So for bass I would imagine it's pretty stellar.
    Solid build. Pretty wide range of tones from mild OD to balls out aggressive, but still in a slightly "vintage" warm way (this ain't a B3K).

I also quickly A/B'd it with my trusty BB Preamp, and while the Okko has more character, the BB treats my high range in a way I enjoy more (while I wish it had a clean blend and a second channel :))

Hope that helped a little.

Driven Crane likes this.
  11. Patchbass

Patchbass

Mar 27, 2013
    England
    Ahh thanks I think I like the sound of it then.... ;)

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021