Oklahoma Tremors

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 3506string, Nov 5, 2011.

1. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
  2. Fat.Mike

Fat.Mike

Dec 15, 2006
    Tulsa, Ok
    Every time we have one, I'm out of state. D***it. The neighbor said it really didn't do much here. Rattled things a bit. That's on the 3rd floor of an old structural brick building just south of downtown Tulsa.

I would like to think it was all the elated fans in Stillwater going ape s**t celebrating a #2 BCS ranking and the toughest win of the season!!!

Hope all is alright down in Lawton for you.

Regards,

Mike

3. definitely felt it here. knocked a few pictures off the wall and scared the neighbors, but all is well

4. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    I don't think it did any more than rattle some nerves around here. By the time I realized what it was it was over. The last quake I felt here was around 12 years ago.

Kirk Herbstreit's reaction was caught while he was covering the game. He held together pretty well. Live Earthquake on ESPN - YouTube :eek:
    video_herbstreit_maintains_composure_during_onair_earthquake.jpg

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, actually, the 5.2 was based on the body wave, giving the body magnitude M[SUB]b[/SUB]. The 5.6 is based on the seismic moment, giving the moment magnitude M[SUB]w[/SUB], which has essentially supplanted the outdated Richter magnitude, M. The Richter magnitude is based on measurements taken off the Wood-Anderson seismometer, which has physical limitations on the magnitude of earthquake it can measure.

The seismic moment is a calulated value involving the area of the rupture surface, the distance the rupture surface slipped, and the roughness, or coefficient of friction of the rupture surface. It provides a more meaningful estimate of the energy released during an earthquake. The moment magnitude is based on the seismic moment, and the calculation scales the magnitude to resemble the older Richter magnitude. When the news media report the Richter magnitude of an earthquake (or "temblor" a term only the media use), they're actually reporting the moment magnitude, but they don't know any better.

Interestingly, the M[SUB]w[/SUB]5.6 earthquake released at least 25 times more energy than the earlier M[SUB]w[/SUB]4.7.

OK, now that we've got that covered, you'll be interested to know that my wife's aunt owns the package store in Eufala, Oklahoma, about 60 miles from the epicenter. I emailed her this morning but she hadn't gone down to the store to see if there were any bottles lost. I'll update you later.

6. we felt it in South East KS

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland
    Is that the same face when you note your stack is about to fall over, but you know you're DI'd via a pedal and there's no reason to stop playing? :eek:

8. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    That's the face I make when I realize I have finished digesting taco bell. :D

Looks like damage was pretty mild. I don't think there were any injuries reported. In other news, there are now tornadoes on the ground in the northwest part of our county. Yippie.
    article-2058165-0EB1C12800000578-292_634x423.jpg
    article-2058165-0EB3343100000578-550_634x349.jpg
    article-2058165-0EB3343500000578-791_634x286.jpg
    article-2058165-0EB1C15D00000578-342_634x480.jpg
    article-2058165-0EB131EB00000578-544_634x266_popup.jpg

9. Fat.Mike

Fat.Mike

Dec 15, 2006
    Tulsa, Ok
    Felt the one last night, it rumbled for a good 7 seconds. Nothing major, my girlfriend hardly noticed. Tornadoes on the ground (in November) and the earth shaking? What's going on here?

On a side note, if you ever think you feel a slight tremor and want confirmation... Check Facebook, as there will be a 30 posts about it within seconds.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021