1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Okoume and MonkeyPod

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Rapisme, May 15, 2020.

1. Rapisme

Rapisme Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    I hope this is the right section in which to post? Mods please correct if not.

So I wandered into the land of getting a build going. Little did I know that there is so much to learn. Namely about woods and they’re tonal characteristics.

So while browsing the evil bay I wandered into that land of wood sellers. I know I should’ve referenced this forum first. But I’m a firm believer in happy accidents.
    So while on the browse I ask the seller about core wood and top wood for a build. Something along the lines of a budget build ergo the Sire’s or Squiers of the world. He thought I was being persnickety and immediately gave me the schtick about a profit losing proposition on his part giving me way to much time and information as he presented an Okoume billet core along with a maple top.
    When I asked if he could change the core wood to something else? Cause me being a nube my feeling was Fender discontinued manufacturing basses with that wood? ( Correct me if I’m wrong folks ) His reply was an I quote “I’m not offended. There’s just a limit to how much time/money I can spend on a negative profit order.“
    Justifiable cause I’m always looking for the best deal I can get my hands on.
    Now before you read up to this point and say you should go somewhere else and get what you want! Which the seller told to me to do as well. I had a feeling this guy knew a lot and I would default to his expertise.

Ok so what he said he sold me was a 2pc QS billet of Mahogany and a 2pc QS Monkeypod top. Now the Mahogany seems to be a 1 pc solid. Has anyone here ever used Monkeypod wood in their builds. If so how was it to work with and more importantly what tonal characteristics does it present. Whew sorry for the long winded back story but I’m really intent to hear some experiences as well as hear about why Okuome is no longer used?

Thanks TB.

Attached Files:

2. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"...

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Sadowsky still uses okoume as an alternative to mahogany. They also use monkeypod for tops on occasion. Here’s an example of a Sadowsky with both (the “mahogany” is actually okoume): 6484

Low8 and Rapisme like this.
  3. Scoops

Scoops Why do we use base 10 when we only have 8 fingers Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Sugar Creek, Wisc
    Monkey pod and African Mahogany have very similar physical characteristics

I've seen many guitars and basses mad out of Monkey Pod, so you will be ok

I really like the grain on the pieces you have

Rapisme likes this.
  4. Rapisme

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    That’s Kool! Thanks

That’s a relief and very reassuring. I just had to add:D “Mad out of MonkeyPod” so is it very rare:thumbsup:. Sorry I just couldn’t help myself as I’m getting older:roflmao:.

Just kidding and Thanks for sharing.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    bass12 likes this.
  5. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Say... this looks familiar ;)

Rapisme likes this.
  6. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    That's definitely a 2-piece billet.

upload_2020-5-16_9-4-51.png

Beej and Rapisme like this.
  7. Rapisme

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    Oh WOW! Like I said I’m a nube at this to my naked eye it looked like a solid piece but I defer to the experts:thumbsup:

8. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    It's a good grain match. You can usually tell from the end-grain though. It usually ends up looking like

\\\///

or

)))(((

or

((()))

But if it's perfectly quartersawn (yours doesn't appear to be, and that's OK, it really doesn't have to be), then the end grain may look like a single piece too.

Chris Todd, Beej and Rapisme like this.
  9. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    +1 on Sadowsky's concoctions using okuome and monkeypod. Their monkeypod tops look great.

Rapisme likes this.
  10. Rapisme

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    :thumbsup: @rojo412 :)

11. Rapisme

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    Would love to hear more about the way those woods sound as a All maple neck and board wood combination.

12. Rapisme

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    Is it quartersawn? And thanks for explanation as I’m constantly trying to learn more.

13. Rapisme

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME

Wow that second bass looks stunning I wish somebody would have played it.

14. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    It looks like it's nearly there. If you can provide a photo of the end-grain, it'd be easier to tell.

Rapisme likes this.
  15. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"...

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Just to reiterate, okoume is not actually mahogany.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    Rapisme likes this.
  16. Rapisme

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    3DC024BA-07D5-4664-950E-FF151AE6C3F7.jpeg

Attached Files:

Beej likes this.
  17. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Well, I can't be completely sure because the saw marks are obscuring the grain somewhat, but the Okoume looks flatsawn, and the monkeypod looks nearly quartersawn, but closer to riftsawn. Regardless, it's very nice wood and I think it'll make a cool looking bass body.

It's really not important at all that the body be quartersawn with grain perfectly perpendicular to the face. It's important that it be strong and stable, and that it looks good.

IMO, YMMV, etc.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    Beej and Rapisme like this.
  18. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    A dark layer between the top and body would look great with those woods IMHO. Walnut, or a black veneer for example. :)

TrustRod and Rapisme like this.
  19. Rapisme

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    Thanks for the reply as the seller indicated to me that they were QS pieces. Idk how to feel about that ATM but the process has started so there’s goes nothing. I hate being cynical but I just can’t help it when a seller misrepresents. But I’m hopeful it will turn out Great despite this slight bummer.

20. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Again, the saw marks make it kinda hard to tell. If you have a miter saw, you can zip off the ends and get a cleaner picture and it'll be easier to tell.

Rapisme likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 26, 2020