Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

old acoustic 360

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ARONMDJ, Apr 30, 2001.

1. i need a cheap loud amp. a pawn shop in my town has an old acoustic 360 with a twin 15 cab for $350. i played it and it sounds good. it is also real loud. do you guys know anything about these? any info or advice would be appreciated.

2. Bassr64

Bassr64

Feb 9, 2001
    N.E.Tx
    I use to borrow a friends 360 to play out with years ago when I was sans amp. If its one of the old, all tube Acoustics, I'd buy it for $350. Those are good vintage rock amps and they are very LOUD. I could give the front row a face lift with that amp.

3. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    acoustic never made any tube amps for bass. they had a couple tube guitar amps but all of their bass amps were solid state.

i'm a little confused. it thought 360 was a pre-amp only. did acoustic make a model 360 with the pre and power amp contained in one unit? as far as i know, the 360 originally came with the 361 cabinet which had the power amp built into the cabinet.

are you sure it wasn't the 370? the 370 is a great, powerfull bass amp. $350 sounds like a good deal for a 370 with a 2x15 cab.

4. it may be a 370. the head and cab are both acoustic, and the cab has it's own power cord. so maybe it is the 360 with a 361 cab. i will go today and look.

5. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    hmm....if the cab has it's own power cord, i'm guessing it's the 360 with the powered 361 cabinet. the 361 may look like it's a 2x15 because it's got two grill cloth sections seperated by a baby blue panel in the center, but it is in fact a 1x18 cabinet in a folded horn enclosure. my 301 cabinet is basically the same design and it kicks butt! loud, deep bass, and due to the folded horn design, it get's louder the farther out you get. $350 is a great deal for the 360/361 . i've seen them go for as much as $1,000, although i think that's way overpriced. there is a reissue coming out soon so the price of the original will probably go up. it's heavy as hell, though. the 361 will kill your back!

steve

did the head look like the one in this picture?

6. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    did the cabinet look like this?

7. yup, i think thats it. how does the vari amp function work? it has a fuzz nob too, i really liked the tone it had. i think your right about the cab. i may go pick it up today. thanks.

8. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i'm not too familiar with the 360/361 . i've got a 370/301 which doesn't have the fuzz, vari amp, etc. it's got the pre and power amps in one unit, though.

buy it, it's a classic. those are great amps! just keep the weight in mind. that's the only drawback to those amps. check out the reviews at harmony central:
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Acoustic/

steve

9. if you've ever read a bio of Jaco Pastorius, you probably know he used the Acoustic 360. They say he didn't really get "his sound" until he got that amp. I was surprised, then, to learn that it's a solid-state amp. You tubes-only guys should think about that one....tell me Jaco's overdriven tone doesn't just sound beautiful. No, I don't want to hear about his mod-fretless and all the other stuff, the point is that those that say you can't get good overdrive via transistors cannot argue with Jaco's tone from a 1970's transistor amp, no less.

GET THE ACOUSTIC AMP, MAN!!

10. i just bought the amp, and lord it is a monster. i have practice in a few hours, so i will see how it sounds with a dual rectifier half stack a peavey classic 2-12 and a drummer. i have been playing around with it in our practice space, and i am falling in love with the tone. i will update after practice.
    thanks for all the advice.

11. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    way to go! i told you it was a monster! what kind of bass do you have? keep us posted.

steve

12. BUY IT! The amp is a 240 watt head wih graphic EQ. They sound GREAT. I had one and it got stolen. The cab is not the 301 (1-18) cabinet that completed the (361 Acoustic Stack). It probably is a 2-15 cabinet with opposing speakers. It should RULE! The amp is not tube at all. It is the amp that Jaco, and John Paul Jones from Zep used. When I had the amp, I wanted more power, but nothing arond sounded as good, so I got an Acoustic Slave (Power amp only). That fixed the issue.

13. i have two basses. my favorite is a goldburst g&l climax, that really rocks. the climax is almost the same as the l-1500 except the neck is tapered and it has a three bolt neck, which some people don't like, but it has been real stable for the 4 years i've had it. i also have an american made peavey patriot that i refinished in tung oil and added an aguilar on board preamp to. the patriot is a great bass, but i think i liked it better without the preamp, it was more natural sounding. the band i'm in now is a little on the loud side. i have a roland db-500 combo that has,in my opinion, great tone. although it is loud for it's size it isn't loud enough for this band. hence the acoustic.

14. ok we had a short practice, we just ran through all our songs once. they sounded the best they ever had. the tone on the acoustic by itself is good, but it really comes alive with the group. the lows are omnipresent, there is no escaping. the highs are subdued, but thats how i like it. i ran my sansamp into it and it sounded good, but it sounded good without it. it was loud enough, i did have to crank it to to about 3 o clock, but it didn't act like i was pushing it too hard. i am happy with my purchase. if it holds up, i think it will do me for a while. everyone in the band loved it too. wait till we have to figure out how to get it to a show.

15. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    that's great! i'm glad you like it. i'm still in love with my 371. i'm looking forward to playing shows with that thing. i hear they're really good for playing outdoor shows, the folded horn is supposed to really project the bass far out into the audience.

did you try out the fuzz? how did it sound? did it keep they low end? all the fuzz pedals i've tried tend to cut the low end a lot.

steve

16. the fuzz is sort of weak. i bet if i play with it more i might like it. i use overdrive, but as of now, i'm not to fond of fuzz.

17. Bassr64

Bassr64

Feb 9, 2001
    N.E.Tx
    It dawned on me after I posted that it was a solid state amp... my bad, Good ole' amp though.

18. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I'm coming in a bit late on this, but you got yourself one of the queen mothers of all bass amps. 300 watts of floor rumbling tone. I used one as my mainstay for years. I'll bet you can find user manuals on Ebay, or elsewhere (I wish I'd saved mine - I'd send it to you). Anyway, couple of points you should know about these amps:
    1. The sound signal continues to go to the speaker, even when you turn the volume off on the amp. It normally won't make much difference, but in my band, we used to end the set by cranking the amps up full blast, with the guitars feeding back, as we laid them down and left the stage. The roadies turned the volume down - when we came up for an encore, I got to watch my 18" speaker catch fire in the cabinet.
    2. The 5-position selector is a form of graphic EQ - with each position preset for certain frequencies.

The cool thing about these amps is that the head is indeed only a preamp - they were designed to add powered cabinets (you'll see 4 output jacks on the back of the head). In your case, that means you can add, oh, a power amp with a 4x12 cabinet, or any other combination.
    And, for $350, you got a great deal. Congrats, and enjoy!