old acoustic bass setup, good deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theleveebreaks, Sep 14, 2005.

1. hey, just wanting to check something by everyone on the board here. An old Acoustic 370 head with the matching 301 cabinet (the 371 bass system) for 600 bucks? Good deal or what? I'm way interested in it so if you guys would let me know what you think, that'd be rad. I've been playing a 330 head at a local guitar shop that makes a killer bass head even though it's made for guitar, but I mean a 371 set up, I can't pass that up right?
  2. That's a tough call. Some of the more desirable Acoustic stuff is approaching collectibility status, but it's not quite there I think. $600 seems kinda of spendy for a rig that's gotta be pushing past 30 years old. But it's your call, I wouldn't think you were crazy at all if you went for it.
  3. yeah, I agree, it's getting pretty old, but I figure hey, if Acoustics were good enough for John Paul Jones, Jaco Pastorius, and with no review aside from features under a 9 on harmony central for the head, I'd be passing up a pretty cool amp. What all can go wrong with the amp over 30 years? Would it just need to be recapped? I have a serious advantage of being able to try it out before I buy it though.
  4. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2004
    Millbury Ma.
    They aren't bad amps but have kind of a muddy sound and they project the sound about 20 or 30 ft. in front of them, up close they aren't very solid. The folded horn design cuts all the treble and also sends the bottom out to the room rather than the stage which was good in big houses but isn't so good in small clubs. Would I buy one? Maybe and actually that price doesn't sound too bad, but if it were me, I would probably just buy it to collect. If you like a clear punchy sound these are not for you.
  5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    That seems a bit pricy for Acoustic gear, however good it sounds. I'd try to haggle it down a bit. Maybe $450?
  6. even for the head and cab? I have an Ampeg 8x10 that I'd pair up with the 18, get a full on system going. I'd need to do that anyways to get the head at full power but yeah, it would be a nice full range setup from what I hear. I'll talk to the guy and see if he's willing to go down to 550, maybe 500, 450 is a pretty low price to ask from 600 though. Thanks again for the help you guys!
  7. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004

...'cuz I don't think it cost $600 new, but I could be wrong here... :eyebrow:
  8. vintageampeg

vintageampeg Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Let me be the first to say, definitively, that if the gear is in good physical shape - 600 is a good price for that rig. That rig is a classic. Don't know your situation, but the throw cabinet might be overkill for most of your needs.

Really tho - if it's in good shape, and you got the money... Do it. The head alone is easily worth $350. What do these Avatar & Neodium junkies know about classic rigs, anyway?!

Go to the acoustic message board for a 2nd opinion. The VetchKing will tell ya what I did.

And it def. cost more that $600 new!

9. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Yeah, like I had stated... I could be wrong. However, I can say with confidence that $600 bought a lot more 30 years ago. I can't remember the exact figure, but I paid between $400 - $450 for my new Rickenbacker 4001... this was in 1975. I also paid a guy $385 for a Les Paul Black Beauty Custom in 1973, and, except for some belt buckle scratches on the back, and a small gash in the ivory binding on the top side of the body (apparently a cymble stand fell over and did that), the axe was in very good shape.

It would be interesting to find out just how much the Accoustic 370 (371) cost new... ;)
  10. I want to thank you guys for all your help with this thing, yeah, the guy said he had kept it in his house for most of the time he had owned it and the only thing wrong with it is that the tolex is a little "loose" in a spot, which in my mind, is easily fixable you know? Yeah, the 371 bass system according to the price lists on acoustic360.homeunix.net (the unofficial acoustic website) it went for something like 1400 new. I figure that's a hell of a deal, ha. But I'll go with my ears on this one, if it sounds good, I'll get it, if it's not so good, I'll walk. I mean it's only 40 bucks in gas money to get down there to try it out, I might as well take a chance.
  11. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

If you decide not to buy it, call me, I will buy it.
    I have been GAS-ing for an Acoustic since I sold (stupidly) my last 360.
  12. OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    Consider spending $1400 on a rig in 1970's dollars-
    That be like dropping about $10,000 on a rig today-

That being said-$500 would be a "good" deal for this rig-
    Though if you're into JPJ (as your sig would suggest) and
    Jaco, you would later regret passing on this deal for $600-