Old American Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by krash311, Nov 21, 2002.

1. I wanted to get an old fender bass and fix it up. I would prefer an American made, but it's not a necessity. I just wanted to know about how much I should expect to shell out for it. Please let me know.
    -ZachHow Much For An Old Fender
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    How much older are you loking for? Pretty much anything fro '79 back is made in the USA & I've seen them sell form anywhere from about $700 to $7000.

Why would you wanna fix it up?
  3. Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I saw (and played) a '72 P-Bass at a local shop earlier today. They were asking $599. It was kinda beat up, but if refinished it would look nice.
  4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    IIRC, Fender started Japanese production in 1982.
    $599 is probably a good price; however, I wouldn't refinish a '72 Fender (or any other Fender), nor would I "fix it up". That's gonna cost you twice.
  5. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
  6. Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I agree, this particular one though, had holes through the pickguard in weird places and 4 screws in it near the bridge. Couldn't figure out what the purpose of those were...It sounded good though, and played sweet.
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

What's "old" to a guy born in `85???? ;)

For me, if it's "CBS era" or after, it's not "old."

What can I say??? It's all relative unless you define some parameters.
  8. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Last year, I got a '75 natural ash/rosewood board with pear inlay Jazz off of eBay for $500. It had a really horrible refin, but neck was perfect. So, they can be had cheap. I was one of the first people to see this particular auction come up, and took Buy It Now right away.

I put Fender CS '60s pups and a J-Retro in it, and did a refin by myself. Total cost- $850. It's a killer bass, sounds and plays really well.

Last night I finished building a Warmoth fretless J, and used pups I took out from that '75 - and this one also sounds killer, for about the same cost.