Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Old American Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by krash311, Nov 21, 2002.

1. I wanted to get an old fender bass and fix it up. I would prefer an American made, but it's not a necessity. I just wanted to know about how much I should expect to shell out for it. Please let me know.
    -ZachHow Much For An Old Fender

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    How much older are you loking for? Pretty much anything fro '79 back is made in the USA & I've seen them sell form anywhere from about $700 to $7000.

Why would you wanna fix it up?

3. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I saw (and played) a '72 P-Bass at a local shop earlier today. They were asking $599. It was kinda beat up, but if refinished it would look nice.

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    IIRC, Fender started Japanese production in 1982.
    $599 is probably a good price; however, I wouldn't refinish a '72 Fender (or any other Fender), nor would I "fix it up". That's gonna cost you twice.

5. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
  6. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I agree, this particular one though, had holes through the pickguard in weird places and 4 screws in it near the bridge. Couldn't figure out what the purpose of those were...It sounded good though, and played sweet.

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

What's "old" to a guy born in `85???? ;)

For me, if it's "CBS era" or after, it's not "old."

What can I say??? It's all relative unless you define some parameters.

8. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Last year, I got a '75 natural ash/rosewood board with pear inlay Jazz off of eBay for $500. It had a really horrible refin, but neck was perfect. So, they can be had cheap. I was one of the first people to see this particular auction come up, and took Buy It Now right away.

I put Fender CS '60s pups and a J-Retro in it, and did a refin by myself. Total cost- $850. It's a killer bass, sounds and plays really well.

Last night I finished building a Warmoth fretless J, and used pups I took out from that '75 - and this one also sounds killer, for about the same cost.